What's new

India Muslims Abandon Cow Slaughter in `Eid

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far do you intend to extend this? Cattle are a major food source in other countries. Does this offend your religious sentiments? I would be offended to have to bend to your religious views, even though it is not my religion to eat cow (or any other particular thing).
Yes . Cattle are a major source of food there. I agree. But I am talking about my country. Why it is always that we need to understand others sentiment where as others do not understand mine.

Killing animals in name of burger or God is the same . Period.
as long as it does not hurt other's religious sentiments.

KOLKATA – As world Muslims prepare their rams for Udhiyah this year, millions of Indian Muslims will not be able to observe the religious ritual due to the growth of campaigns by Hindu far-right groups against cow slaughter, considering it a sacred animal..

“Traders from other areas buy cows from our district’s largest Wednesday weekly cattle market,” Ramzan Ali, a cow trader in West Midnapur district of West Bengal, told OnIslam.net, warning that the latest Hindu campaign against cow slaughter has affected the cattle market to a good extent.

“This Wednesday the number of traders was 30% or 40% less than our expectation and the market traded around 70,000 cows this week- down from 110,000 cows last year.

“Many traders over phone informed that many Muslims were afraid of hassles by Hindu activists and are avoiding sacrifice of cow this `Eid,” Ali added.

Since Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) formed the national government in May, anti-cow slaughter campaign by the Hindu activists has reached a new height across West Bengal where cows from across the country are brought in by the traders for slaughterhouses in India and Bangladesh.

Being very popular among the West Bengal’s 230 million Muslims, cow meat tops the list of animals sacrificed in the state during `Eid Al-Adha.

However, the religious ritual has been threatened this year after the rise of campaigns since the beginning of September activists from Rashtriya Swayam Sevak Sangh (RSS), Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and other Hindu organizations to stop Muslims from slaughtering cows on `Eid.

In many places of West Bengal cow-laden trucks bound for cattle markets were attacked by Hindu groups, the animals were released and the Muslim cow traders were thrashed in recent weeks

The case was even worse in Hyderabad, a city in southern India, where Muslims in the historical city will not be able to sacrifice cows, buffaloes or calves.

The city police have imposed a ban on the sacrifice of these animals during `Eid Al-Adha on which Muslims commemorate Prophet Abraham's submission to God's command by slaughtering cows, camels, buffaloes or goats.

"It is strictly prohibited to sell cows, she buffaloes and calves (calf), which is a crime under the AP Prohibition of Cow Slaughter and Animal Preservation Act 1977,"said an official statement released by the Hyderabad police department, earlier this month.

The police have also warned that any violation of the ban will attract punitive action as per the law.

Cow “Goddess”

While beef is a favorite food and the prime source of proteins for Indian Muslims, for the majority Hindus beef-eating is a sacrilege, as they consider the cow a goddess, their sacred mother and hence, holy.

Christians, few elite and most Dalits- or low-caste Hindus too eat the cow-meat in India.

According to Hindu mythology, some 330 million gods and goddesses reside in the bowels of the cow whom they lovingly call Gaumata or the ‘cow mother’. Some trace cow worship back to Hindu god Krishna, who is believed to have first appeared as a cowherd.

As even urine of the cow is held sacred and consumed by many Hindus for religious as well as therapeutic purposes, the issue of the slaughter of the ‘goddess’ has always been a bone of contention between cow worshippers and beef-eater communities.

Even the ‘father of the nation’, Mahatma Gandhi had very famously said: “Cow-protection is the outward form of Hinduism. I refuse to call anyone a Hindu if he is not willing to lay down his life in this cause. It is dearer to me than my very life. If cow-slaughter were for the Muslims a religious duty, like saying namaz, I would have had to tell them that I must fight against them.”

The Hindu fundamentalist organizations, including the ruling BJP and its affiliates, leave no opportunity to milk the issue of cow-slaughter.

For decades the Saffron organizations have been using the issue to ignite communal passions which many times in the past turned violent even taking Muslim lives.

In 2002, in the Indian state of Haryana, a frenzied mob lynched five Dalit men, while they were skinning a dead cow.

Later, a local Hindu priest Mahendra Paramanand said to media, “If they can kill our mother then what if we kill our brothers who kill her,” while reacting to the lynching.

Giriraj Kishore, a senior Viswa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader proclaimed: “The life of a cow is more precious than that of a human being.”

Interestingly, history shows, eating beef was a tradition among Hindus in ancient India, and during religious rituals Hindus slaughtered cows in Vedic period.

Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, who authored the Indian Constitution, wrote in his book, “You will be astonished if I tell you that, according to the old ceremonials; he is not a good Hindu who does not eat beef. On certain occasions he must sacrifice a bull and eat it.”

The Hindu beef-eaters also cite their religious scriptures to prove that cows were routinely slaughtered and consumed in ancient India.

“One of the holiest Hindu scriptures, the Rigveda says that the Hindu god Indra used to eat the meat of cow, horse and buffalo. The Vashistha Dharmasutra, which is a source of religious law also sanctions beef-eating saying that a Brahmin who refuses to eat the meat offered to him on the occasion of ‘Shraddha’ or a holy ritual, goes to hell,” says S. Mahato, a low-caste Hindu high school teacher in West Bengal.

“What I am saying is the truth. Until two or three decades ago the history text books in our school clearly stated that Hindus sacrificed cows during religious rituals and ate cow meat…But I know that the Hindutva goons will attack me, if I speak this truth openly,” Mahato, who did not wish to be identified by his first name, fearing retaliation from Hindu activists around him, added.

No Cows

Falling under repeated Hindu attacks, many Indian Muslims were resorting to sacrifice sheep or camel, abandoning their favorite cow meat.

“We heard that carrying cows on foot from the cattle market to our home- as we have done for decades, will not be safe this year with Hindu activists lurking at places. We are going to sacrifice a goat this year,” Basir Ali, a Muslim tailor in a suburb of Kolkata, told OnIslam.

Like other Indian Muslims, he was forced to change a family tradition by not sacrificing a cow this `Eid Al-Adha.

“In our locality in the past 20 years I have never seen less than 50 cows being sacrificed during `Eid Al-Adha. But this year only 17 cows are there for sacrifice next week,” he added.

A journalist from Telangana capital Hyderabad said that an unofficial ban on cow sacrifice has been placed in Muslim localities across the state this `Eid Al-Adha.

“Officially there's no ban on slaughtering of cows in Telangana. But police stations across the state have been ordered to enforce a ban on cow slaughter this Eid-al-Adha. It's rather clever and insidious,” said the Muslim journalist who does not want to be identified.

But this time BJP has formed the national government on its own- without support from any other party. Many now believe that very soon cow slaughter will be banned across the country.

“I am sure that our Prime Minister Mr Modi will do whatever is needed to ban cow slaughter across India,” Subrata Gupta, who heads the Hindu anti-cow slaughter campaign in West Bengal, said in Kolkata recently.

“None will be able to hurt our Hindu sentiment by slaughtering any cow.”

India Muslims Abandon Cow Slaughter in `Eid - Asia-Pacific - News - OnIslam.net

Cow slaughter is uncivilized and against any religion you may name. Camel slaughter is a punishable offence in Arab country since the camel since the life of Arabs is closely connected to Camel. We should immediately bring a legislation to prevent cow slaughter. Who so ever does it should be strictly punished.

I dont eat meat i dint eat meet 99% period of my life so far BUT it does not mean that i should reject food necessity of majority of other human.
Beef, mutton, chicken, prok whatever form is a big part of human as well as animal food. simple as that

Madam Ji, Ours are agriculturally rich countries. Cow in particular is closely related to our livelihood. We should not kill some animal on which our livelihood is dependent on for centuries. It is just being civilized and recognize the obligation of animal on us. Camel slaughter is illegal in Arab countries. If the violent people like Arabs recognized the contribution of camel on their livelihood, we should ofcourse recognize the contribution of the animal on which our livelihood was based for centuries.

Last edited:
Cow slaughter is uncivilized and against any religion you may name. Camel slaughter is a punishable offence in Arab country since the camel since the life of Arabs is closely connected to Camel. We should immediately bring a legislation to prevent cow slaughter. Who so ever does it should be strictly punished.

Madam Ji, Ours are agriculturally rich countries. Cow in particular is closely related to our livelihood. We should not kill some animal on which our livelihood is dependent on for centuries. It is just being civilized and recognize the obligation of animal on us. Camel slaughter is illegal in Arab countries. If the violent people like Arabs recognized the contribution of camel on their livelihood, we should ofcourse recognize the contribution of the animal on which our livelihood was based for centuries.

Where’s The Beef? In India, Believe It Or Not
By Palash Ghosh@Gooch700 on May 14 2013 2:13 PM
22ab3f1de85f587e451f683835bc1810.jpg

A butcher cuts up portions of beef for sale in an abattoir at a wholesale market in Mumbai, India. Reuters

Despite its image for venerating the cow as a sacred beast and regarding the eating of beef as "taboo," tens of millions of people in India do indeed eat beef on a regular basis.

In fact, in the western coastal state of Goa, a shortage of beef has raised alarms among the public, as well as restaurants and hotels that cater not only to Indian beef eaters but also, of course, tourists from other parts of the world.

According to the Times of India newspaper, the situation in Goa has become so dire that a group of meat traders has urged the local government to release more than 100 cows and bulls from custody in order to help fill swelling demand for meat.

The Goa government had earlier banned the slaughter of cattle and other animals at a prominent local abattoir over safety and hygiene concerns. A strike by local truckers has also hurt the beef market.

Francisco Sardinha, the South Goa member of Parliament, even criticized the state government for not making beef available in the market for “Christians and Catholics,” for whom beef is a staple.

"I don't know what the thinking of this government is, whether they want to have beef or no beef or have mutton, which is so expensive," he said.

Beef is big business in India, despite the fact that many Indian states ban the slaughter of cows outright.

Over the past four years, beef exports have surged by more than 44 percent, while domestic consumption has climbed by a comparable amount, according to Times of India

Meat produced by registered slaughterhouses jumped from 557,000 tonnes in 2008 to 805,000 tonnes in 2011. Income from bovine exports are expected to reach 18 billion rupees ($328 million) this year.

In 2012, in fact, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, India became the world's No. 1 beef exporter, beating out such perennial beef powerhouses Australia and New Zealand.

However, it is unclear how much of this beef comes from the sacred cow and how much from other bovine creatures.

Indeed, buffalo are also slaughtered for their tasty flesh -- Uttar Pradesh, a huge province in India’s north, is the country’s largest buffalo beef exporter.

“Our meat is lean and cheaper. We supply halal meat, which is preferred in [the Persian] Gulf countries," Surendra Kumar Ranjan, director of Hind Agro Industries in Uttar Pradesh, said.

However, the industry is not well-regulated. Indian media reported that the products that meets international standards are sold to markets in Southeast Asia and the Persian Gulf, while meat sold domestically is “substandard.”

Moreover, the treatment of animals in Indian slaughterhouses fall far below acceptable standards. "There is rampant abuse of animals in transport and slaughter of meat whether for domestic consumption or export," Arpan Sharma, CEO of Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organizations, said. "Animals are overloaded in vehicles and transported without food and water. None of the meat exporters pay attention to the condition of animals."

Of course, some Hindu traditionalists are appalled by the rising consumption of beef in the country. "The cow is our mother, it's our duty to protect her," said Ashoo Mongia, who belongs to an unofficial “enforcement team” that monitors stores, butcher shops and slaughterhouses suspected of selling cow meat, according to CNN. "We do this because we believe in what the cow represents in our country, our culture and in the Hindu religion."

But Ranjan of Hind Agro believes Hindus in India should relax any cultural prohibitions on the beef trade in the interests of commerce. "Cow beef could be a very lucrative business in India," he told CNN. "I think five to 10 years from now, people won't be so scandalized by the sale of cow beef."

CNN estimates that 1.5 million cows, valued at up to a half-billion dollars, are smuggled out of India every year -- roughly one-half of the beef eaten in neighboring (and overwhelmingly Muslim) Bangladesh come from these “illegal” cattle.

"When you consider just how much money is made from underground cow smuggling, it becomes clear that not only is there a huge amount at stake, but a huge demand that butchers and slaughterhouses are catering to," Dr. Zarin Ahmad, a fellow at the Centre de Sciences Humaines in New Delhi, told CNN.

The “prohibition” on eating cow meat stretches into Indian antiquity -- thousands of years ago, bulls and oxen were sacrificed to the Gods, and their flesh was eaten. However, at some point, perhaps due to a sudden shortage of cattle, cows became protected and even revered. Given that cows provided milk, butter and fuel, they became economically indispensable.

In ancient Vedic scriptures of the Laws of Manu, it is written: “There is no sin in eating meat ... but abstention brings great rewards.”

Still, Hinduism does not specifically ban anyone from eating beef. “Most Indians are not vegetarians by choice but by compulsion,” Purvi Mehta, heads of the Asia office of the International Livestock Research Institute, told CNN.

Where’s The Beef? In India, Believe It Or Not

Why not? If you are not Hindu, you can kill and eat cow. Go f-k yourself. I would like to see you stop me....
You should not abuse. Tell the mods to give me a non ban certificate and then then lets see who can abuse more.

Yeah...who the fvck cares about the sentiments of the hindus? Muslim rights are greater than hindu rights. That is Indian secularism for you.

Its a bloody animal. There are ppl who eat animals not just plants. Get over it. As long as they dont force you to eat it, why bother?

Read this again and again, till you all get it this into your skull. Your Hindu books have been distorted by your priests, you can't sift thru the Bullshit. That's the major issue with Hinduism, you still follow distorted traditions and customs that were manipulated by Muslims, Hindus and the British. Time for you guys to follow the real Hinduism.

Interestingly, history shows, eating beef was a tradition among Hindus in ancient India, and during religious rituals Hindus slaughtered cows in Vedic period.

Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, who authored the Indian Constitution, wrote in his book, “You will be astonished if I tell you that, according to the old ceremonials; he is not a good Hindu who does not eat beef. On certain occasions he must sacrifice a bull and eat it.”

The Hindu beef-eaters also cite their religious scriptures to prove that cows were routinely slaughtered and consumed in ancient India.

“One of the holiest Hindu scriptures, the Rigveda says that the Hindu god Indra used to eat the meat of cow, horse and buffalo. The Vashistha Dharmasutra, which is a source of religious law also sanctions beef-eating saying that a Brahmin who refuses to eat the meat offered to him on the occasion of ‘Shraddha’ or a holy ritual, goes to hell,” says S. Mahato, a low-caste Hindu high school teacher in West Bengal.

“What I am saying is the truth. Until two or three decades ago the history text books in our school clearly stated that Hindus sacrificed cows during religious rituals and ate cow meat…But I know that the Hindutva goons will attack me, if I speak this truth openly,” Mahato, who did not wish to be identified by his first name, fearing retaliation from Hindu activists around him, added.

Source: India Muslims Abandon Cow Slaughter in `Eid

You should not abuse. Tell the mods to give me a non ban certificate and then then lets see who can abuse more.

Im not abusing you....Im letting you know ppl who are not Hindus have the freedom to practice their rights just like you. If you choose not to eat beef, then so be it. But don;t shove your ideology and beliefs down my throat.

Its a bloody animal. There are ppl who eat animals not just plants. Get over it. As long as they dont force you to eat it, why bother?

Read this again and again, till you all get it this into your skull. Your Hindu books have been distorted by your priests, you can't sift thru the Bullshit. That's the major issue with Hinduism, you still follow distorted traditions and customs that were manipulated by Muslims, Hindus and the British. Time for you guys to follow the real Hinduism.

Its holy in Hinduism. So it should be respected.

Im not abusing you....Im letting you know ppl who are not Hindus have the freedom to practice their rights just like you. If you choose not to eat beef, then so be it. But don;t shove your ideology and beliefs down my throat.
yep They must practice their rights as long as that does not hurt my religious sentiments. And cow slaughter is not mandatory.

In no Arab country Camel slaughter is prohibited

yep They must practice their rights as long as that does not hurt my religious sentiments. And cow slaughter is not mandatory.

Listen they are not Hindus. I have eaten beef since I was little. WHy should I respect your rights when you and your type are not willing to respect my sentiments? Eating beef is a freedom I enjoy and cherish.

Next time read what real Hindusim is, because you and others are practicing a FAKE version of it

Lol just copy the same for you and meanwhile i even reported your post for insulting our beloved religion .
Go report mine...iam happy for it
But for yours......It seemz to me you are FRUSTRATED, bcoz its not the proper thread to demand answers, 2nd Me muslims are always helpful in clarifying OBJECTIONS (no one can deny that, Youtube is dominated by Muslim shcolars videos more than any RELIGION of the world)
Moreover you just burst into TEARS when i said your religion have no proper Name, it was the name given by ARABS and you people have no PROPHET HOOD concept...in other words no Singular Authority to FOLLOW.......And that was & remained A FACT (you can confirm it with your Hindu fellows)
You in response posted COLUMN full of HATRED & Remarks and CONCLUSION......You can simply open up a new thread on that.....where we can answer your objection One by One but it seemz u done that in FRUSTRATION

Listen they are not Hindus. I have eaten beef since I was little. WHy should I respect your rights when you and your type are not willing to respect my sentiments? Eating beef is a freedom I enjoy and cherish.

Next time read what real Hindusim is, because you and others are practicing a FAKE version of it

yes we are respecting your sentiments. But cow slaughter is not mandatory. And cow is Holy. so no one should hurt our religious sentiments.

yes we are respecting your sentiments. But cow slaughter is not mandatory. And cow is Holy. so no one should hurt our religious sentiments.

You haven'tread what I posted. Hindus used to eat cows. Presently, Hindus are practicing a fake, corrupted version of Hinduism. This is the problem and this is what is holding back Hindus.....wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom