What's new

India mulling shut down of American Embassy Club

What's good for the goose is good for the gander! Continue with the crackdown till the privileges are at par! :tup:

Such kind of stunts are nothing but stupid gimmicks, focus must be on bringing the diplomat back and wait for an appropriate time to protest dissatisfaction.

Major steps have already been taken. Now there is scrutiny on finer things or rather small things that - which were not legally allowed but India turned a blind eye to.

Major steps like All privileges of US diplomats have been taken away barring those which US provides to Indian diplomats. Almost all US diplomats in India were given protection from arrest, because apparently GoI was under the assumption that US provided the same to India.
Now a replica of those ID cards that US provides to Indian diplomats - and in same numbers - is given to US diplomats here. Only a few diplomats have immunity - the same number of Indian diplomats that are given immunity in US.

Live in and married gay partners of US diplomats were also given the same courtesy, now they are being treated as per Indian law which as you know has recently been changed by the Supreme Court.

There is a tax scrutiny going on all US embassy workers among other things.

I think its quite the other way round.
I think it will give a clear message that unlike how many other South Asian nations are treated. India is not willing to have and give unequal privileges and relaations no matter how big or small.

If other countries throw the book at us, we throw the book at them. I think this would be quite clear to the international community. Its a question of how you put across your actions.
It's all conjecture, at the moment. But despite what you may read in the local papers....the US has vast stores of dearly hoarded political capitol. This incident will be but a blip on the radar to most nations dealing with the US. The Indian handling was inept...and will cost them dearly. The shame is...India could have got at least some traction in the "US is great Satan club"...but due to very inept work by your politicians....you don't even get that (some lip service, tops.) I even conceded that the US handled this poorly, at first. But instead of using this to their advantage...your populist politicians ruined any chance of political capitol for short-term local support. Your boys turned this from a slightly embarasing incident that they could have used for advantage from US poor handling, to making themselves look like a drowning man clutching at straws to save face. You guys could have looked strong (indeed, did, for a day or two)....but managed to make yourselves look far weaker than we ever could have with out your active compliance.

Silly retaliations send their own message: India is afraid to do anything more substantive.

You strip search our diplomat, we'll ... uh... take away your peanut butter sandwiches.

Don't look at it in isolation. Media is reporting these things as and when they come to know about it. This is just one of the many measures being taken by the Indian side.

India Finds New Methods to Punish U.S. Diplomats

India has undertaken punitive measures that it believes puts American diplomats in India on par with Indian diplomats in the United States. It withdrew passes that allow American diplomats to meet important guests, like members of Congress, at airport gates, and canceled the diplomatic identity cards given to consular officials and their families, reissuing cards only to officials. The cards instruct police officers that the holder may be arrested for serious offenses.

In addition, India is investigating whether spouses and employees of American officials are paying taxes on earnings made in India, particularly at the American schools in New Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai. India has canceled the United States Embassy’s import privileges for food and alcohol. And security barriers that surrounded the embassy in New Delhi have been permanently removed. Indian officials say the barriers were unnecessary and in some cases impeded traffic.

“We would not do anything to adversely affect the security of the U.S. Embassy,” Mr. Akbaruddin said. “To suggest otherwise is unfair.”

There are 14 other Indian maids working for Indian diplomats in the United States, and India is negotiating over their status with the State Department. To India, these maids should be considered Indian government employees whose employment does not fall under American wage and hour laws.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/28/world/asia/india-consular-employee-retaliation.html?pagewanted=1&bicmp=AD&_r=0&bicmet= 1388638800000&bicmst= 1385874000000&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id

Take away US diplomat TV and US government wouldn't bend, now India government take a step further and take away tennis court with 5 stars restaurant serving Hindu traditional drink cow urine Hennessy mix drink. US diplomat can't live without cow urine special mix drink, they will call US government to cave in all India government demand.

Here's the difference.

US is denying diplomatic privileges for committing a crime.

India is denying privileges just because.

If India wanted to establish an equivalence, it would charge an American diplomat with a crime.

Right now, the US retains the moral high ground because their reasons for denying privileges is a "grave" criminal offence.

Here's the difference.

If India wanted to establish an equivalence, it would charge an American diplomat with a crime.

Right now, the US retains the moral high ground because their reasons for denying privileges is a "grave" criminal offence.

But Developer Bhai - Sannuuu kiiii ? :unsure:

Take away US diplomat TV and US government wouldn't bend, now India government take a step further and take away tennis court with 5 stars restaurant serving Hindu traditional drink cow urine Hennessy mix drink. US diplomat can't live without cow urine special mix drink, they will call US government to cave in all India government demand.
Lol...sincity...you are sooo nuts.

Silly retaliations send their own message: India is afraid to do anything more substantive.

You strip search our diplomat, we'll ... uh... take away your peanut butter sandwiches.
y0u are right..... agree with u!!!

Oh come on Bhai Jaan, itniii tou Punjabi aaaanii chahiyeiii - I'm hurt ! :cray:

It was Punjabi for - Whats it to us ? :)

Oh, ok.

Well, I guess I don't speak much Punjabi or any of the ethnic languages. Only Urdu (and Gujarati).

I am strictly a city boy from Karachi.

Here's the difference.

"Diplomatic privilege" is a two way street. Up until now US diplomats, embassy officials and their family members were getting a lot of privilege in India, much more than what is required under the Geneva convention. India has simply withdrawn those "extra privilege" and now the Americans will only get as much privilege as they give to their Indian counter parts in America.

What do you expect India to do, start arresting Americans based on false charges? Obviously the retaliation has to be within the legal framework, we are not some rogue country. We can't just revoke the privileges and charge someone retrospectively.

Indian has withdrawn the privilege and perks, and now if US officials or their family members commit any crime, they ll be charged under the Indian law. And trust me, it will come very soon.

Oh, ok.

Well, I guess I don't speak much Punjabi or any of the ethnic languages. Only Urdu (and Gujarati).

I am strictly a city boy from Karachi.

I don't speak or understand much Punjabi either other than what most bourgeois Punjabis know ! :ashamed:

I'm a strictly city boy too ! :)

But from Lahore - the heart of Pakistan ! :smokin:

So what about the - Whats it to us, bit ? :azn:

Back
Top Bottom