What's new

India may never be a super power: LSE study

Allah means God means bhagwan means Dios. So when he says Inshallah he is just saying 'god wiling' or ' bhagwan kare to'
Alah or God or whatever isnt the sole preserve of muslims who by the way has been around for just 1500 years.

Then why Indians make fun of Allah if it means same thing... There is so much comments on YouTube by Hindus which make me mad thinking about them. Especially when an Hindu put his YouTube username as Allah and then a bad word, and then Uchbar.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Once PPP leaves, Pakistan will be back to extraordinary growth.

What do you mean last 60 years no results? Are you retarded? South Korea, a flourishing economy, copied our city plan. In 1947 when Pakistan was very poor now look at us with per capita of 3100 and economy worth nominal close to $500 billion. You lost a screw? Now compare our poverty with your poverty. 20 million is Pak where 320 million is India.

Dear, IK has not even gotten a seat, how will he prove that he is good.

oh hernando, pak has 50% around 100million poor. india has 25% around 300 million poor.

oh hernando, pak has 50% around 100million poor. india has 25% around 300 million poor.

Dear, where did you learn that. Pakistan only has 50% Rural poor same with India, dear. Altogether our poor is 26% of our population. India has 36% poor around 360 million.

Being a super power isn't all its cracked up to be. If India can defeat poverty, build infrastructure needed, and defend itself, that's good enough.

Then why Indians make fun of Allah if it means same thing... There is so much comments on YouTube by Hindus which make me mad thinking about them. Especially when an Hindu put his YouTube username as Allah and then a bad word, and then Uchbar.
Thats bad.. They dont realise what they do. same as becasue people from your country make fun of the various forms of the one god which hindus believe in. also its internet, many times pakistanis call themselves as indian, so you wont know.

Poverty in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shall I say, because 72% of Indians live below $2 a day, that 72% of Indians are in poverty?? No...

in a country the size of india it is never easy to defeat poverty. we r working on a policy to boost manufacturing in country and make it bigger than most of world by 2025. which could employ over 120 million. with economic growth indian poverty has gone down and we are able to meet the deadlines of un.

so is defeating poverty everything for pakistan? whats the point of defeating pverty if u have no strategic importance and capabilities. i would prefer india investing in defence, technologies, infrastructure, manufacturing over eradicating poverty. bcoz indirectly it will benefit poor. theres no point of removing poverty if u cant build a nuclear submarine/ fighters to defend ur waters and air.

pakistan gives survival as the top priority but india from last 7 yrs has given economic growth as top priority which helps in removing poverty. we r making hard to take our country ahead and make good policies while pakistan for last 4 yrs has been in a state of civil war.

they have their own poverty line, if it is based on WB or Chinese standard, maybe only 5% indians are considered as not poor
true.. based on US std only .1 % of india are not poor. So india is a poor country and can never become superpower. but not all of us want to .

in a country the size of india it is never easy to defeat poverty. we r working on a policy to boost manufacturing in country and make it bigger than most of world by 2025. which could employ over 120 million. with economic growth indian poverty has gone down and we are able to meet the deadlines of un.

so is defeating poverty everything for pakistan? whats the point of defeating pverty if u have no strategic importance and capabilities. i would prefer india investing in defence, technologies, infrastructure, manufacturing over eradicating poverty. bcoz indirectly it will benefit poor. theres no point of removing poverty if u cant build a nuclear submarine/ fighters to defend ur waters and air.

pakistan gives survival as the top priority but india from last 7 yrs has given economic growth as top priority which helps in removing poverty. we r making hard to take our country ahead and make good policies while pakistan for last 4 yrs has been in a state of civil war.

Dear, I am very proud of India that they have pushed their poverty rate so low, it is the only country in South Asia to achieve this.

Dear, you are wrong to say that making subs and aircraft is everything.

Also where are you in India? If you are in Hyderabad my dad's part of family is there also. :P

So let me get this straight: You want India to become a giant North Korea.

So let me get this straight: You want India to become a giant North Korea.

hmm i think u got the defence part of my post but not the last part where i talked about economy. india and north korea have no similarities. north korea is sealed and isolated. while 60% of current indian economy is dude to global trade. so i dont think we r becoming north korea by any chance. anyhow i clearly said i want india to invest more in manufacturing and not waste time on poverty eradication which we already r doing by approving national manufacturing policy to take india ahead of other nations in manufacturing by 2025. if it is done poverty itself will decrease.

Today if a man in INDIA says that he is not finding job oppertunity, then it is because of his lazyness to take up a job and do it with decipline. There are ample oppertunity to work and contribute to the national growth, yet we find the section of poor being poor, and the reason behind is "LACK OF INTEREST" to work, and the Government idea of giving freebies as election promises is making them even lasier.
INDIA need not be a super power, but if the lazy a holes of my nation who always loop up or suck up to the government to feed them take a step and work for their own self and that of their family, then sure there is no way that we will lag behind CHINA in any field.

And as far as population growth is concenrned, the poor has to think and understand that when he or she is not able to feed their ownself why go for 4 or 5 children. I am sure that the Government of INDA and NGO's are doing a good job of creating awarness in the poor section of the ills of too many child birth but yet it solly depends of the poor section.

Why India is not a superpower​

Rich Indians have forgotten the country cannot meet the basic needs of poor people.
Rich Indians hallucinating about India becoming a superpower have had delivered a much-needed thump on the head courtesy of a study by the London School of Economics, which found that it's doubtful if the country can ever become a superpower.
The whole notion that India is an ''emerging superpower'' has always been ridiculous and whoever first mooted the idea - Bill Clinton or George Bush - during the excess of goodwill that invariably accompanies a state visit, should have been bundled off to a laboratory to have his brain dissected to locate the precise site of the raving lunacy.
Even more preposterous has been the uncritical alacrity with which rich Indians embraced the notion when all they have to do is drive a few kilometres outside the big cities to rural India for a flashback to the 18th century or, even closer to home, to a nearby slum to see disease, hunger and misery that beggars belief.

The LSE study by nine India experts concludes that, despite ''impressive'' achievements, India is unlikely to become a superpower for many reasons including "the increasing gap between the rich and the poor; the trivialisation of the media; the unsustainability, in an environmental sense, of present patterns of resource consumption; the instability and policy incoherence caused by multi-party coalition governments''.
The study adds: "India still faces major developmental challenges. The still-entrenched divisions of caste structure are being compounded by the emergence of new inequalities of wealth stemming from India's economic success.''
These inequalities take your breath away. While the rich consume luxury goods and the middle class buys fancy cars and gadgets and holidays in Bangkok, they blind themselves to the reality for 700 million or so immiserated Indians. In their vainglorious dinner-table talk about ''superpower'' status, they forget that a country that cannot meet a poor person's most basic needs - enough food, clean drinking water, and electricity - has no business aspiring to superpower status.
One has always heard that Indians have traditionally lacked a certain respect for the facts but this wilful disregard of reality is disturbing. Affluent Indians have bought the superpower fantasy not just because of a contempt for the facts, but from pride and vanity and a tendency to get all puffed up the moment the country manages any achievement.
So an obscure international award for some Indian film, a bronze medal in a sport that no one watches, an Indian company's takeover of a foreign company, or an Indian kid topping a maths exam in the US, are all trumpeted as evidence that India has conquered the world.
This is the reality: about 400 million Indians have no electricity; India has more mobile phones than toilets; millions of children are not in school; most cities have no sewage treatment systems; no major city has a continuous water supply; disease is rampant; infrastructure is pitiful; and a UNICEF report released this month says there is acute malnutrition and hunger among the urban poor, with 54 per cent more infants dying from among the urban poor than from the urban non-poor. Another UNICEF report found that 93 million Indians live in urban slums, on pavements and construction sites.
Yet should anyone plead that the poor have been left behind they will be subject to heated criticism. It hurts the pride of Indians to be reminded of the country's poverty. But the existence of poverty itself does not hurt their pride.
Economic growth rates of about 8-9 per cent over the past few years have been justifiably praiseworthy. But the benefits of this growth have been confined to the middle class and the rich.
The poor still do not have homes, basic sanitation, decent schools or nutritious food. As a young girl in American author Katherine Boo's much-acclaimed new book Behind the Beautiful Forevers, about life in a Mumbai slum, says: "We try so many things but the world doesn't move in our favour."
Middle-class Indians need to read Boo's book about life in a rat-infested hovel, near a sewage lake, with rampant dengue fever, malaria and tuberculosis, with scraps for meals, a single toilet for 100 families and then try claiming that India is becoming a superpower. There are many criteria for defining a superpower, but for India an extra one should be added. Let no one utter the world ''superpower'' till every Indian family has a toilet in their home.

India Is Not A Superpower

Back
Top Bottom