What's new

India makes 'Urgent' Purchase of Milan ATGM

well, the only anti-tank weapon par with Milan ATGM is newly acquired TOW 2 missiles which are actually better then milan. baktar is a generation behind i think.

Baktar Shikan with a Tandem warhead offers similar levels of armor penetration I believe (1200 mm) and has a greater range as well (4000m vs 2000m).

The Baktar Shikan is a lot heavier as well - 25 KG vs 7 Kg. The Milan can be used as an infantry or vehicle mounted weapon, whereas the Baktar Shikan is vehicle or Heli mounted.

Pakistan operates these as well, though I am not sure which version.

Milan has been replaced in most European armies by Spike from Israel or Javelin from USA.

Definitely makes the Indian acquistion look like a stop gap measure.

I guess even kids from your town know that Indian defence procurement is the worst, most inefficient, most corruption ridden place on earth....

They are ALSO trying to make Nag Man portable. Maybe they are waiting for that. Having NAG in all three forms- a tracked carrier, heli fired, and man portable.

You know one thing-its best not to discount Israel from absolutely ANY aspect of India's defence program. You might not even know and Israel might have contributed half to many of India's indigenous equipment! Im not kidding.

Baktar Shikan with a Tandem warhead offers similar levels of armor penetration I believe (1200 mm) and has a greater range as well (4000m vs 2000m).

The Baktar Shikan is a lot heavier as well - 25 KG vs 7 Kg. The Milan can be used as an infantry or vehicle mounted weapon, whereas the Baktar Shikan is vehicle or Heli mounted.

Pakistan operates these as well, though I am not sure which version.

Baktar shikan is in a different category as it is not man portable and is similar to India's Konkurs-M which too has a range of 4000m and weight 15 kg.India has ordered around 15000 Konkurs-M's.

is this a baktar shikan

21f3a955aeeba9a3a9bc47c25a26743e.jpg

Was:

Yes it is.

Here are some more pictures.

5eecc5259d6ccce41b0bd18887db4785.jpg

In the first pic,what is happening actually?I can see the projectile and at the same time the launcher getting blown up!can anyone explain this?

malay do you have any more info - links, timelines etc?

Also can you expand more on "Maybe they are waiting for that"?

The Hindu Business Line : Helicopter version of Nag under way

They are trying to make Nag Man-Portable now, would be very useful in the North East.

So like i said, even i think its an interim buy-the new Milan's that is. So they might be making an interim buy to shore up the numbers while waiting for NAG to be made MP and chopper launched.

Ah, the old MILAN. The days when we could fix them up to a WMIK and have our own little mobile tank hunting force, not bad for light infantry;)

The Javalin we replaced them with is far superior though, not so much range but a much better chance of a hit and a kill. Besides the MILAN was out of date and ineffective by the time we replaced them (at least against our tanks).

Last edited:
In the first pic,what is happening actually?I can see the projectile and at the same time the launcher getting blown up!can anyone explain this?

The missile's disposable sleeve in which it comes cased in is being jettisoned backwards as it absorbs the 'recoil' from the firing. Once the wire snaps they could mount a new tube.

The only thing that would get blown up is the target.

India's BDL To Build Milan 2T Missiles
By vivek raghuvanshi
Published: 3 Feb 19:03 EST (00:03 GMT)

NEW DELHI - Under a January agreement, MBDA of France will transfer technology to India's state-owned Bharat Dynamics Ltd. (BDL) to build advanced Milan 2T anti-tank guided missiles under license at Indian facilities.

The Indian Army has ordered more than 4,000 Milan 2T missiles, which will be inducted within three years at a cost of about $14,000 per missile.

BDL has produced Milan ATGMs since 1983. The 2T version adds a tandem warhead for use against tanks protected with explosive reactive armor, a senior Army official said. The Milan 2Ts will be used for both infantry and anti-tank purposes, said the Indian official.

The Milan 2T also can be carried by troops while the older Nag anti-tank missile has to be mounted on a chassis, the official said.

The Army is seeking about 7,000 more anti-tank missiles, a gap that will be filled by producing Milan ER and buying foreign-made missiles, the Army official said.

The Indian Air Force has also asked to buy an undisclosed number of anti-tank missiles to arm its helicopters.

Meanwhile, talks continue between MBDA and BDL on the Milan Extended Range (ER) missile. The two companies signed a memorandum of understanding in 2005 to produce Milan ERs at Indian facilities for domestic and foreign purchase. Defence Ministry sources said the joint venture would produce a variety of missiles.

India's current anti-tank missiles include the Milan-2 and Konkurs manufactured by BDL under license from France and Russia. The Army has also bought a few Russian Kornets and Israeli Spikes to test on its armor.

Last year, the Army ordered 4,000 Konkurs-M missiles plus 443 homegrown Nag anti-tank missiles and 13 tracked Namica missiles carriers for induction in the next three years.

BDL will make the Nag, which was conceived by the Defence Research and Development Organisation in 1983 and is already 10 years behind schedule. The a third-generation fire-and-forget missile can hit the top of targets up to four kilometers away using infrared guidance.

India's BDL To Build Milan 2T Missiles - Defense News

Back
Top Bottom