What's new

India likely to withdraw from South China Sea

The_magnificent

Reaction score
Country
India
India is likely to withdraw from an oil block in the South China Sea after hydrocarbons did not show up in an exploratory well, according to government sources here. Officials have conveyed to Vietnam plans to terminate operations on commercial considerations, say the sources who knew about the talks.

The block has been at the centre of much diplomatic bad blood among China, Vietnam and India that included demarches, summons and affirmations of sovereignty over the same patch of sea.

The sources said the move to shut operations, that should relieve Beijing which was locked in another maritime dispute in the same sea with the Philippines, had been conveyed to South Block and the Union Petroleum Ministry but a decision would be considered final only when the State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Commission Videsh Limited (OVL) approached PetroVietnam for permission to stop operations. That stage had not been reached, they said, while Indian officials said they were not sure whether OVL had written to the Indian mission in Hanoi and asked it to formally convey the request to Vietnam.

Vietnamese diplomats expressed disappointment considering that Hanoi had stood up to Beijing for the past six years whenever it disputed the contract given to India for oil exploration in the Phu Khanh Basin. They wondered whether this was due to pressure from China which was “always against any foreign company” conducting oil operations in the South China Sea.

Indian officials insisted block 128 had low prospects of producing hydrocarbons, as was the case with the adjacent block 127, which OVL returned to Vietnam three years ago. But the two blocks have been part of a wider conflict in the maritime domain on which India released a statement.

Commenting on the stand-off between China and the Philippines in another part of the South China Sea, a Foreign Office statement urged both countries to exercise restraint and resolve the issue diplomatically in keeping with the principles of international law.

While the dispute over India conducting drilling operations in the South China Sea did not come to a stand-off between vessels, India and China recently exchanged sharp words on the issue. A Holland-based company surveying this area on behalf of OVL was even summoned by the Chinese Embassy in The Hague and told to stop operations. But backed by Vietnam, OVL persuaded it to complete the survey work.

Officials here said India would continue to remain engaged with Hanoi, viz. continuing operations and expansion of activity in the Nam Con Son basin that OVL was awarded as a goodwill gesture to India, which was allowed to sell part of the stake to other oil producers when it did not have enough foreign exchange to pay for all the three blocks.

khoda pahaad nikali chuhiya :D

nature avoided possible confrontation...

Title is misleading....

It is just withdrawal from Oil Exploration and that also from few blocks.

Indian Navy is going to stay.

Wild guess........ Ant thoughts on
Possiblitly of RUSSIA-CHINA-INDIA pact ???

Are you kidding me? Pact with the commies? Russia I am all for, but trying to have friendship with the commies is like putting a hand inside a snake's lair. It will always bite you back.

Unnees sau baasath se ab tak nahi seekhe kya, bhai?

Are you kidding me? Pact with the commies? Russia I am all for, but trying to have friendship with the commies is like putting a hand inside a snake's lair. It will always bite you back.

Did you observe few events in recent past ???
1. China telling Pak to improve relations with India including trade and all disputes
2. China's official reaction on A5. ( not sino and co.)
3. Russia's recent approach to China and Pak. And asking China to add India and Pak to SOC
4. India's reluctant delay to reduce Iran oil imports even when SA is assuring oil supply.
5. Suddenly silence of GOI on SCS
6. Russian officials speech for more fruitful cooperation in the region ( I forget the name but the speech was when India get akula sub )

Finally Russian goal - Contain USA and maintain power in ME
Chinese goal - Contain USA and maintain power in SCS
Indian goal - security assurance against Chinese threat and power in IOR
Pak goal. - security assurance against Indian threat and possible USA aggression and say in Afgan matter

So if all parties ready to accept little adjustment they can achieve long term goals.

I don't see India withdrawing from SCS as India has already made millions of investment in Vietnam & this is the only way they can counter the Chinese string of pearls.

1. China telling Pak to improve relations with India including trade and all disputes
3. Russia's recent approach to China and Pak. And asking China to add India and Pak to SOC
4. India's reluctant delay to reduce Iran oil imports even when SA is assuring oil supply.
6. Russian officials speech for more fruitful cooperation in the region ( I forget the name but the speech was when India get akula sub )

Pak goal. - security assurance against Indian threat and possible USA aggression and say in Afgan matter

So if all parties ready to accept little adjustment they can achieve long term goals.

you portrayed a very beautiful Image. but things in actual ground are little more comples.

1) neither India nor pak is ready to compromise on case of , Pakistan, sir creek, siachen, Indian dams on pakistani water etc.

2) Neither India nor china will agree to compromise Arunanchal, aksai chen , etc.

3 ) Russia cannot close enough to Pakistan because India will play a key factor in it.

4 )SCp is just regional cooperation block not a military group like NATO.

5 ) GOI is not silent on SCS, It just stopped looking for oil in some specific block of SCS

misleading title..India's gonna stay there.
Its just a few/or one block we are withdrawing from,because ONGC is not getting the desired result!Simple!

Ohh yeah no pact with commies , but who are you to tell ? Are you God ? but god dont exist , are you PM ? IFS officer ? or advisor ? you are no one , just another religious and capitalist idiot who wants to destroy india for there own satisfaction of egos . you dont have any problem with india do a pact with america ? but you have problem with china ? why dude ? they are neighbor , and this is my thinking tht a normal neighbor is better then good friend who live in far away land .

Indian -Russia - China , this three can decide the future of world , if they remain together . now it's our choice whther we want to become pawn in American hand or to choose our own destiny .

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom