What's new

India is "top arms buyer": China's Global Times

Ruag

Reaction score
Delhi arms fair reiterates India status as top arms buyer

India's status as one of the world's largest arms and defense equipment buyers has been confirmed when the country's capital hosted the biggest arms fair it ever hosted last week, said experts.

Popularly known as DefExpo which ended Feb. 18, the exhibition attracted more than 650 companies, including some of the big guns of the global weapon industry.

The 2010 edition of DefExpo was also apparently aimed at more than 50 billion US dollars which India is likely to spend in the next 10 years in arms acquisition and modernization programs.

Indian Defense Secretary R.K. Singh, who was also the chief organizer of the arms show, while refusing to speculate on the figure of military requirements by India, said exhibition was "a big show".

Since 1999, India has spent 50 billion US dollars on procuring arms.

Speaking about the DefExpo, Defense Minister A.K. Antony said since 1999, the event has grown from strength to strength.

"This year, the participation of companies increased by around 40 percent in comparison to the last one. Thirty eight official delegations, including 14 ministerial delegations attended the event," he said.

"The arms fair is held every two years and with every edition, its size continues to grow. In 2008, over 400 companies had put up stalls and this year, more than 650 companies booked space. Around 250 of these 650 companies are foreign," R.K. Singh said.

Leading the pack as usual were the companies from the United States closely followed by Israel. Together, the two control the largest space in terms of net area at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi signaling their growing dominance of the Indian market.

Israel is India's second biggest arms supplier and the US is catching up fast posing a serious threat to the traditional dominance of Russia.

Russian companies also put up a strong show, but they seem to be no match for Israel and US firms in terms of grabbing business. France, Britain, Germany and Italy also gave a tough fight.

The Indian army and the navy have substantial modernization plans that will realize in the coming months with the purchase of several weapon systems.

The first major big ticket deal of this year might go to the US as India is keen to buy C-17 heavy lift transporters from Boeing. The US has already bagged some of the biggest contracts like C-130J Hercules transporters for 962 million US dollars and Boeing P-81 maritime reconnaissance aircraft for 2.1 billion U. S. dollars.

Defexpo projected the "emergence of India as an attractive market and an investment destination for joint ventures" in defense, Singh said.

This year's exhibition at Pragati Maidan was double in size too -- from 17,200 square meter in 2008 to 30,100 square meter this year. Domestic exhibitors occupied more space than foreign venders. The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Tata group were the largest exhibitors among domestic firms.

Talking about the fair, Ministry of Home Affairs Secretary G.K. Pillai exhorted the Indian security industry to monitor and upgrade technologies, equipment and forces to meet contemporary challenges.

"The security industry is one of the fastest growing industries in India. Integrated security solutions including software, closed-circulate TV surveillance systems and wake-up digital video technologies are the need of the hour for detection and analysis of information for immediate and effective action," he said.

Global Times - Delhi arms fair reiterates India status as top arms buyer

self reliance is the key.. I see no pride in claiming to be number one "arms buyer" in the world.. Though I would surely love to read number one "arms seller" in the world but thats just an optimistic Indian in me talking :)

self reliance is the key.. I see no pride in claiming to be number one "arms buyer" in the world.. Though I would surely love to read number one "arms seller" in the world but thats just an optimistic Indian in me talking :)

You echoed my opinion perfectly.

The Indian Defense Ministry needs to take steps to ensure increased participation by Indian private companies in the defense sector.

Given an opportunity, companies such as L&T, Tata and Mahindra can very well outshine other defense contractors.

Many Indian pride themselves as no.one arm buyer..... see the ex post from them....

US might sell you out ... if you dream like that they have a habbit of converting their allies into dictatorship :cheesy:

Its not a matter of pride. But a matter of procure the best available weapon in the market.For that, India should purchase as advance of a weapon system as possible. Which most likely US made products.

Its not a matter of pride. But a matter of procure the best available weapon in the market.For that, India should purchase as advance of a weapon system as possible. Which most likely US made products.
We need the best equipment we can get our hands on be it home made or imported all that should matter is that the soldier on the ground in the air and sea need the best the equipment money can buy(Withe a 1.2 trill G.D.P that shouldn't be a problem)The soldiers life depends on it.

We need the best equipment we can get our hands on be it home made or imported all that should matter is that the soldier on the ground in the air and sea need the best the equipment money can buy(Withe a 1.2 trill G.D.P that shouldn't be a problem)The soldiers life depends on it.

I agree. Not everyone regard getting the best weapon as the highest priority for a military. For example, I believe India made the right choice of getting a tank or plane that works instead of domestic product that might not work as well.

US might sell you out ... if you dream like that they have a habbit of converting their allies into dictatorship :cheesy:

Sir India is too big a country to be dictated by another nation, Just because Pakistan had a bad experience with Uncle Sam doesn't mean we should not get close to US.. India was, is and will remain a democracy and a democratic country can't be bought or sold!! .. certain policies might be affected for sure like voting against Iran etc.. but the main thing is India is aware of the fact that US is not dependable and the GOI should aim to get the max out of this relationship with US.. best example would be nuclear deal :) ..:cheers:

I agree with you but India has started to build the necessary infra and r&d capabilities to develop the defense systems, thats why I said I would love to see number one "arms seller" in the world someday.. but that depends on the vision of our scientific community and the support it is given by GOI.

I agree with you but India has started to build the necessary infra and r&d capabilities to develop the defense systems, thats why I said I would love to see number one "arms seller" in the world someday.. but that depends on the vision of our scientific community and the support it is given by GOI.

From no. one buyer to no. one seller!! That a grand vision.

From no. one buyer to no. one seller!! That a grand vision.

Thats not impossible if you consider the low manufacturing costs in India and access to cutting edge technologies of the world!:cheers:

but then as I said in one of my last posts thats just an optimistic Indian in me talking :)

Thats not impossible if you consider the low manufacturing costs in India and access to cutting edge technologies of the world!:cheers:

but then as I said in one of my last posts thats just an optimistic Indian in me talking :)

well with the offset clause & the enginearing base of the country i hope we can attain this status by 2020:smitten:

Back
Top Bottom