What's new

India has no better friend, partner than the US: Obama

There is no Best Friends in International Politics.

Well, there is probably no nation that supports EVERYTHING that the US does or says, and vice versa. But, I think, Americans feel that the UK is our best friend in this world, followed by Canada, Australia, Japan, Germany and France in that rough order. Most Americans view Israel as a millstone around our neck rather than a friend, by the way. Of course some interests wax and wane over time. We opposed the UK action against Egypt's seizure of the Suez Canal, for example. But, it is not a bad thing to have friends that you agree with and mutually support 80% of the time for decades. India should try it

Well, there is probably no nation that supports EVERYTHING that the US does or says, and vice versa. But, I think, Americans feel that the UK is our best friend in this world, followed by Canada, Australia, Japan, Germany and France in that rough order. Most Americans view Israel as a millstone around our neck rather than a friend, by the way. Of course some interests wax and wane over time. We opposed the UK action against Egypt's seizure of the Suez Canal, for example. But, it is not a bad thing to have friends that you agree with and mutually support 80% of the time for decades. India should try it
Yeah But USA turning against Britian in the Suez Crisis stemmed out of 2 Reasons, mainly being the Soviet threat to Get Involved. US didnt wanna have a showdown with the USSR over this reason.

I believe Indo-Us Relations are gonna really reach another level in the coming years. Lets brace for it and make the most of it! God Speed.

I am sure india-US will reach that phase where we support each other 70% of the time. but I think we should refrain from adding any special emotional or sacredness to our international relationships. like pak considers its china relation.

the other point is that it is also a cultural thing isnt it? americans will always feel culturally comfortable with brits. so, india and US can only go so much in friendship.

I am sure india-US will reach that phase where we support each other 70% of the time. but I think we should refrain from adding any special emotional or sacredness to our international relationships. like pak considers its china relation.

the other point is that it is also a cultural thing isnt it? americans will always feel culturally comfortable with brits. so, india and US can only go so much in friendship.

I have a different feeling about India - US relationship.

To be an ally you need a common bonding between each other.Both of them should have common interests.But India and US are extremely different in terms of their economy or politics.United States has socialized their family system but India has privatized family system.India still survives only because of micro economy.

The only reason to bring India and US together could be China,There is nothing else.If China develops a good relationship with US or China becomes a failed state,There is no common interest between us.

Except democracy we have nothing in common.US has proven to be an unreliable Friend to all its allies.Its better if India stays away from US

Hopefully this would happen as Hilary Clinton has taken in charge of FM and Clinton's have proven to be a good FRIEND to Pakistan than India.If BJP wins in the future, Modi will also try keep India away from US :). Safe for us.

Yeah But USA turning against Britian in the Suez Crisis stemmed out of 2 Reasons, mainly being the Soviet threat to Get Involved. US didnt wanna have a showdown with the USSR over this reason.

I believe Indo-Us Relations are gonna really reach another level in the coming years. Lets brace for it and make the most of it! God Speed.

Perhaps America just though it was the right thing to do,,, americans are funny like that,,, but hell we would not want to give Americans that much credit.

Hopefully this would happen as Hilary Clinton has taken in charge of FM and Clinton's have proven to be a good FRIEND to Pakistan than India.

I think Obama will disagree with you..

Memo on Clinton a dumb mistake

Members of this forum typically state Pakistan as an example of US friendship while forgetting about countries like UK, Germany, Japan, France and Australia to name a few. Can anyone here tell me what India has in common with the above mentioned countries? Hint: it begins with "D" and ends with "Y".
The China counter argument is so juvenile - seriously there are other ways to impede China more effectively. I doubt the US wishes to hinder China in any way, I believe our politicians realized that a stable prosperous Chindia is in our best interest over a decade ago. China and India should work together to bring peace and stability to Asia! It is time, this is your century...

China cannot be trusted by India.As far as I know the last two governments of India (two different political rivals) have agreed that China is the major threat to India.There cannot be sudden change in the foreign policy.I still believe if China gets a chance like 1962 ,would definitely invade India.

Democracy alone cannot help countries to come together.After all what Indian "Democracy" going to help US in anyway.Is really France an close ally to US?I do not think so.

Except China factor I could not see any other reason that US wishes to be an ally to India.Is there any other benefit to US by India?

My suggestion would India and US can "use" each other to manage China threat.US still considers Russia as its major threat.China is no where near by US by defense.If in future China really becomes a threat,US would definitely make huge effort to contain China.

China cannot be trusted by India.As far as I know the last two governments of India (two different political rivals) have agreed that China is the major threat to India.There cannot be sudden change in the foreign policy.I still believe if China gets a chance like 1962 ,would definitely invade India.

Democracy alone cannot help countries to come together.After all what Indian "Democracy" going to help US in anyway.Is really France an close ally to US?I do not think so.

Except China factor I could not see any other reason that US wishes to be an ally to India.Is there any other benefit to US by India?

My suggestion would India and US can "use" each other to manage China threat.US still considers Russia as its major threat.China is no where near by US by defense.If in future China really becomes a threat,US would definitely make huge effort to contain China.

I can't agree with you, I think that US must do everything to get India as an partner in many ways in the next few years.
India is a major economies of the future and US companies needs this huge market to get their economy back on track.
Specially when it comes to big weapon deals there is no better partner then India at the moment in the whole world. We have to modernise in big numbers and we have the money to get western high tech and US has everything we needs.
If you look at the major countries of the future in Asia, India is politically the only one besides Japan which can be an ally for US. Also a Partnership between Russia, China and India would change the balance of power in the world dramatically and US has to counter that thread with closer ties to us.

And don't forget that Israel is one of the closest alleys of us and them!

India will be a global player in some years and good relationships to Russia, Europe and US is important for us. But we have to make clear that we don't want to be just a alley that goes always the same way they go. India has to stay independend but with stratigic partnerships.

Okay I agree with you on Israel,Israel can be a close ally to us because India is a great place for Jews,This is one of the important place where they are not hated.We both have a common enemy Islamic terrorist.

How do you say India is important to US ? We are not a economic super power , to an extent I would even say we are performing very badly and still developing and will take a lot of time to get some status. Our economy is a very closed economy protected from western world ,How many US Brands are popular in India do you think ? If trade can influence relationship China should be the closest ally to US.

Indian defense budget is not even noticeable for them,They have major clients in Middle east,We are no where near by.If India chooses to import military hardware from US its a blunder mistake , rather we can just decide not to have military itself :) .There are so many occasions US has betrayed its allies.History goes from Pakistan to Iraq.

I completely disagree with your last point. India can never become a global player, this is my answer , " Being 1 Bn + population , One of a biggest military power in the world, Largest democracy, Our Prime minister BEGGING Pakistan such a small country(compared to India by size , population and nothing else !!! ) near by to act on the terrorists and ISI for Mumbai attack.We belong to a country watches its hundreds of civilians cruelly killed and does nothing else but begging some one else for acting on that , can not even think of becoming global super power , not even a regional power.

I think US would have had some good lessons from Vietnam and Afghan ,So may not try any new adventure here !!!

How do you say India is important to US ? We are not a economic super power , to an extent I would even say we are performing very badly and still developing and will take a lot of time to get some status. Our economy is a very closed economy protected from western world ,How many US Brands are popular in India do you think ? If trade can influence relationship China should be the closest ally to US.

NIC 2025 Project

We aren't a big player now, but we could be in future! Economic and military power is rising fast, politically we need more weight in the UN and closer ties to other Asian powers like Korea, Japan, and of course to Europe and US.
You said it, the economy was very protected from the west, but now every big company understands that India is one of the biggest markets in future. US understands it too and they want and need a piece of it. The nuclear deal was the key to get closer to us and this market, thats why they did EVERYTHING (much pressure on some Europe countires) to fix the deal.
And China has only trade to offer as a commonality, we have trade, democracy, fight against terrorism, etc and of course most important we are no military threat for US.

Indian defense budget is not even noticeable for them,They have major clients in Middle east,We are no where near by.If India chooses to import military hardware from US its a blunder mistake , rather we can just decide not to have military itself :) .There are so many occasions US has betrayed its allies.History goes from Pakistan to Iraq.

Boeing Eyes USD 31 billion Worth Defense Deals with India | India Defence

Name me one Middle east country that is ready to spend $10 B + for fighters in the next few years and has this kind of perspective for more deals?

I completely disagree with your last point. India can never become a global player, this is my answer , " Being 1 Bn + population , One of a biggest military power in the world, Largest democracy, Our Prime minister BEGGING Pakistan such a small country(compared to India by size , population and nothing else !!! ) near by to act on the terrorists and ISI for Mumbai attack.We belong to a country watches its hundreds of civilians cruelly killed and does nothing else but begging some one else for acting on that , can not even think of becoming global super power , not even a regional power.

First, look at the link I give above, even US sources thinks so.

Second, in days of nuclear warheads, it's not that important how big ur country is, or how many people u have. Even US fears to attack a nuclear power, that's why they can't allow Iran, or North Korea to get these weapons.

Third, I think because we did not attacked just out of emotions and without proves we are much closer to US, Britain and other nations in fight against terror then ever before! That's why other countries puts more pressure on Pakistan to act, do you think that would happen if we had attacked them?

I don't say believe anything US say, get anything they offer just as any other customer. But a stratigic partnership in war on terror, military developments, politics and of course economic reasons would be a benefit for both nations.

"NIC 2025 Project" - I am sorry that I did not read the report, I request you please search Japan overtaking USA by 19xx ,You get lot of articles and please do not waste your time on them. Also please search China overtaking USA by 20xx you get lot of articles too :) ,They are really funny and nothing going to happen until USA collapses, and if USA collapses impact will be more than what happened when USSR did.

I think UAE alone imports much more deference imports from USA ,than what we do from Russia.

"Third, I think because we did not attacked just out of emotions and without proves we are much closer to US, Britain and other nations in fight against terror then ever before!"

There is no emotion in politics, If you just go for war because of emotions we are nothing but stupids :) . In politics you need a CHANCE. We definitely had a chance to eliminate Pakistan defense when Mumbai attack happened . Right now their economy doing very badly, World would not have supported Pakistan if we had attacked them right after Mumbai attacks and there is no political stability in Pakistan . More over we had a huge time of three days , preparing for preemptive attack. Pakistan government definitely not going to take a foolish decision to use Nuclear on us at this time (Again economy ).

If they do so,just think of a war torn country with no aid from world and India do not even need to go for second strike,They will collapse.

We missed a great chance because of our coward government.I definitely think we need young blood in civil / defense administration.

Do you really think USA came for our help when Mumbai attack happened,They have very safely rescued their ally with no impact from this.Now think of the situation where Pakistan even threatening to stop investigation on Mumbai attack,Even after accepting plan made in Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom