What's new

India has asked for time to study proposed Sukhoi upgrade: Rostec official

ashok321

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Moscow, July 18 (IANS) Russia has offered to upgrade its existing Su-30 fleet in India to make it "very close to" the fifth generation fighter, but India has asked for time to evaluate its strategy

newsflash2.jpg

http://www.india.com/news/agencies/...posed-sukhoi-upgrade-rostec-official-2330630/

Moscow, July 18 (IANS) Russia has offered to upgrade its existing Su-30 fleet in India to make it “very close to” the fifth generation fighter, but India has asked for time to evaluate its strategy, an official from Russian Helicopters maker Rostec said.

Interacting with a select group of journalists on the sidelines of International Air show MAKS in Moscow, Rostec’s Director of International Cooperation and Regional Policy Victor N. Kladov said Russia had made the offer for upgradation of the Su-30 during a meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Narendra Modi last month.

“As far as I know it was raised between President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Modi in St Petersburg last month. The Indian Prime Minister once again reiterated that the Indian side needs time to evaluate its strategy of development and how to spend the money,” Kladov said.

“We are offering a package for modernising the Su-30 aircraft. It will obtain new capabilities, it will be very close to the fifth generation aircraft in capabilities. This is a deep modernisation, everything should be changed – engine, computers, radar etc,” he said.

Asked how much would such upgradation cost, he said that would depend on what upgradation India selects.

The Indian Air Force has to evaluate its strategy and then take a decision,” he said.

The twin-jet multirole air superiority fighter Su-30 is developed by Russia’s Sukhoi and built under licence by India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for the Indian Air Force (IAF).

India has around 230 Su-30 jets which remain the frontline fighter for the IAF.

The upgraded Super Sukhois will include a modernized cockpit. A major part of the upgrade also involves avionics and sensors. The aircraft will have advanced stealth capabilities and be equipped with the Indo-Russian supersonic cruise missile BrahMos, an infrared homing system, new advanced avionics, and active electronically scanned array.

1_img118717202343.jpg

(Anjali Ojha is in Moscow at the invitation of the organisers of the MAKS-2017 air show. She can be reached at anjali.o@ians.in)

Moscow, July 18 (IANS) Russia has offered to upgrade its existing Su-30 fleet in India to make it "very close to" the fifth generation fighter, but India has asked for time to evaluate its strategy

newsflash2.jpg

http://www.india.com/news/agencies/...posed-sukhoi-upgrade-rostec-official-2330630/

Moscow, July 18 (IANS) Russia has offered to upgrade its existing Su-30 fleet in India to make it “very close to” the fifth generation fighter, but India has asked for time to evaluate its strategy, an official from Russian Helicopters maker Rostec said.

Interacting with a select group of journalists on the sidelines of International Air show MAKS in Moscow, Rostec’s Director of International Cooperation and Regional Policy Victor N. Kladov said Russia had made the offer for upgradation of the Su-30 during a meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Narendra Modi last month.

“As far as I know it was raised between President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Modi in St Petersburg last month. The Indian Prime Minister once again reiterated that the Indian side needs time to evaluate its strategy of development and how to spend the money,” Kladov said.

“We are offering a package for modernising the Su-30 aircraft. It will obtain new capabilities, it will be very close to the fifth generation aircraft in capabilities. This is a deep modernisation, everything should be changed – engine, computers, radar etc,” he said.

Asked how much would such upgradation cost, he said that would depend on what upgradation India selects.

The Indian Air Force has to evaluate its strategy and then take a decision,” he said.

The twin-jet multirole air superiority fighter Su-30 is developed by Russia’s Sukhoi and built under licence by India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for the Indian Air Force (IAF).

India has around 230 Su-30 jets which remain the frontline fighter for the IAF.

The upgraded Super Sukhois will include a modernized cockpit. A major part of the upgrade also involves avionics and sensors. The aircraft will have advanced stealth capabilities and be equipped with the Indo-Russian supersonic cruise missile BrahMos, an infrared homing system, new advanced avionics, and active electronically scanned array.

1_img118717202343.jpg

(Anjali Ojha is in Moscow at the invitation of the organisers of the MAKS-2017 air show. She can be reached at anjali.o@ians.in)

Idiots. What are they waiting for? A war to start and then scramble to buy coffins?

I read it as india upgrading its super etendard to carrying exocet

Idiots. What are they waiting for? A war to start and then scramble to buy coffins?
I rarely agree with IAF but this time I fully agree.
Russians are notorious for not painting the full picture, they promise deals which are always seems to good to be true, and at the actual delivery time, they show their true colours. Our AC is prime example, and also remember reading Elon Musk's experience with Russians and then I understood, how the Russian culture works and our experience with Russians regarding the cost overruns. One sentence sums this all up, once bitten twice shy.

I rarely agree with IAF but this time I fully agree.
Russians are notorious for not painting the full picture, they promise deals which are always seems to good to be true, and at the actual delivery time, they show their true colours. Our AC is prime example, and also remember reading Elon Musk's experience with Russians and then I understood, how the Russian culture works and our experience with Russians regarding the cost overruns. One sentence sums this all up, once bitten twice shy.

This is not FGFA that we are talking about. This is Super Sukhoi upgrade. Most of the upgrades are coming from well tested SU-35 itself.

What these wise Indian decision makers do not understand is

1) Time=Money

2) Lack of quality equipment = Losing the war = Exponentially costly

This is not FGFA that we are talking about. This is Super Sukhoi upgrade. Most of the upgrades are coming from well tested SU-35 itself.

1) Time=Money

due diligence is necessary for Russia

due diligence is necessary for Russia

India's problem is over analysis not lack of due diligence.

Just think had India gone for G2G contract for RAFALEs instead of this 10 years of MMRCA thamasha.

India could have started inducting RAFALEs in 2011. India could have got a better price being the first customer.

1) Time=Money

I'm reading between the lines here, read this line "The Indian Prime Minister once again reiterated that the Indian side needs time to evaluate its strategy of development and how to spend the money,” Kladov said."
If I was Sukhoi then these lines are a red flag for me. My line if thought would be, the other party is doing due diligence about this very spend and may not go ahead. I would rather speculate that India is saving this money to buy more Rafales. Mark my words, if went ahead, this upgrade would balloons to few billions in no time.

I'm reading between the lines here, read this line "The Indian Prime Minister once again reiterated that the Indian side needs time to evaluate its strategy of development and how to spend the money,” Kladov said."
If I was Sukhoi then these lines are a red flag for me. My line if thought would be, the other party is doing due diligence about this very spend and may not go ahead. I would rather speculate that India is saving this money to buy more Rafales. Mark my words, if went ahead, this upgrade would balloons to few billions in no time.

I do not think money is object here but the deal is not going through for political reasons. BJP is pro west hence would not close the deal with Russia. Modi did not sign any deals with Russia. All deals are in process, forever.

Super Sukhoi upgrade would cost $8 Billion.

Would you upgrade 300 Su-30 MKIs or buy 2 squadrons of RAFALEs?

I do not think money is object here but the deal is not going through for political reasons. BJP is pro west hence would not close the deal with Russia. Modi did not sign any deals with Russia. All deals are in process, forever.

No one has tested a super sukhoi against a rafale before.

Our guess is as good as yours.

The last time a major air war happened, between iran and iraq, western european aircraft prevailed

No one has tested a super sukhoi against a rafale before.

Our guess is as good as yours.

The last time a major air war happened, between iran and iraq, western european aircraft prevailed

That question is irrelevant in case of India as India plans to procure over 100+ RAFALEs as well as upgrade its 300+ SU-30 MKIs to Super Sukhois.

It is NOT either-or for India.

That question is irrelevant in case of India as India plans to procure over 100+ RAFALEs as well as upgrade its 300+ SU-30 MKIs to Super Sukhois.

It is NOT either-or for India.

yes there is opportunity cost, either rafale or sukhoi 30.

india dont have unlimited funds
:cheesy:

money spent on sukhoi can buy rafale

I don't agree, Indian government should not be pro west or pro Russian, it should only consider Indian interests which with Modi at helm is the case IMO. I have a feeling that India gonna cap the MKIs at 300 or whatever number is already planned, and there won't be anymore MKIs. IMO, India should go for more Rafales and Tejas. But hey, we can only speculate, and there are people much higher qualified than us, and are paid to make these decisions, so I won't be too worried about the falling numbers.

yes there is opportunity cost, either rafale or sukhoi 30.

india dont have unlimited funds
:cheesy:

money spent on sukhoi can buy rafale

No country has unlimited funds including US & China.

Both Super Sukhoi and RAFALEs are approved projects.

Also, apart from opportunity costs there are Setup and Utilization costs too. What do you think the HAL's Sukhoi manufacturing plants would be doing between 2019 (when all SU-30s are built) and 2024 (when first FGFA build is expected to start) ?

I don't agree, Indian government should not be pro west or pro Russian, it should only consider Indian interests which with Modi at helm is the case IMO. I have a feeling that India gonna cap the MKIs at 300 or whatever number is already planned, and there won't be anymore MKIs. IMO, India should go for more Rafales and Tejas. But hey, we can only speculate, and there are people much higher qualified than us, and are paid to make these decisions, so I won't be too worried about the falling numbers.

This news is not about procuring additional SU-30 MKIs rather to upgrade the existing SU-30 MKIs to Super Sukhoi standards. This project will have zero positive impact on the falling numbers.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom