What's new

India Has 9,547 Enemy Properties Worth Rs 1.1 Lakh Crore, Now Govt Wants Their Possession

ashok321

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...e-now-govt-wants-their-possession-263812.html

Not many of us know that India has a total of 9,547 big and small 'enemy properties' worth a mammoth Rs 1.1 lakh crore. The Central Government has tasked the Custodian of Enemy Property (CEP) of India to prepare a status list of all such properties, following which the Centre plans to take possession of all such properties

Enemy property refers to the abandoned properties, which the government took over when their owners chose to leave India and move to Pakistan and China after Partition and the 1965 and 1971 wars.

And a top government source revealed to DNA newspaper that there are 9,547 such enemy properties, having estimated worth of more than Rs. 1.1 lakh crore, scattered in important cities such as Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bhopal, Hyderabad and Lucknow and many others.

There are court cases pending against 1,215 properties. Most of the other properties are under illegal possession and occupation at prime locations in key cities, and can be used to serve government needs that is falling short of space in premium locations," the top government source was quoted in DNA.

"It is better if the government takes possession of all such enemy properties before they also get mired in court cases that linger on for years," said the source.

31 of such properties have been taken over by government recently and have been handed over their possession to the CRPF and BSF which were facing space crunch for their offices.

CEP was created by government in 1968 soon after 1965 war under Enemy Property Act, to tackle to growing list of abandoned buildings and their encroachment.

The new move comes after the government failed to pass an amendment in law governing enemy property.

The bill failed to pass in the Rajya Sabha because of protests by the opposition parties following which an ordinance was promulgated to keep the amendment in force.

Rs. 1.1 lakh crore is the entire GDP of Senegal.
Its lot of money.

Ok so these are the properties left by people who migrated from present day "India" to Pakistan during the partition.

There are many such in Pakistan as well. I am not sure if we call them "enemy properties".

Scrape of Indian ordnance factories with the label of 1948,65,71, kargil etc etc.

and they call it Enemy Properties LOL
Indian enimosity never ends.

we have my grandfather home in zila hisar.and ferozpur.also we had 100 acre land.i will wishbto take it back.

Sorry, China is a global strategic country, it is not like India to see the same place every day... So. not all things are related to China.

Enemy property act was invoked after 65 war by both india and Pakistan.

we have my grandfather home in zila hisar.and ferozpur.also we had 100 acre land.i will wishbto take it back.

Crazy to leave all that & go.......Unfortunately, there is no getting that back.

but m happy where i am.u know sometimes things have no value but ur national duties.u wont understand

I was not the one asking to get something back....I'm glad you are happy where you are, I wish you well.

Back
Top Bottom