What's new

India has 2600 Nuclear warheads- Harvard university

You know what is most fancy? Death Star !

Unfortunarely we can't. What we have functional is perhaps a Joe-4 type weapon. This will be a 800 KG - 1 tonne war head deployable by missile or air with a yield of 100-200 kilotonne.

You know what is still the most interesting part? I do not know why is India even pursuing SLBM option. We do not have a tested design for a Super-grade Plutonium or HEU based bomb. WG or RG bombs do not o well in SLBM.

image.jpg

And what you mean we are not pursuing SLBM option? Read up on K-series. Producing super-grade Pu for them eventually should not be an issue either.

How old are you 12? IQ and Nukes? and Educated guess? What's next? Estimates of Indian Military's power and then their comparison to how many of them eat pop-corn? Do you see how my statement sounds? Your posts sounds like that, disconnected with reality and super weird.

Harvard is a Business and Law school. Their is no need for an "educated guess" as there is no research operation of any kind they do there. This is an Indian paid article.

You are saying that Harvard's educated guess is above the US government's "actual knowledge" that they publish to the congress putting India between 90 to 110 nukes? :rofl:. Please don't respond to my post. I am having pain in my tummy by laughing at your weird post. Why does such crap makes it into a thread on this forum!

The article is written by a Pakistani to malign India.

And what you mean we are not pursuing SLBM option? Read up on K-series. Producing super-grade Pu for them eventually should not be an issue either.
Its not a question of producing the missile or super-grade Pu, but a question of having a tested design using super-grade Pu. Incidentally, an alternative is HEU which is somewhat heavier but it works. But Indian weapon design has no HEU based bomb. Pakistan does...

Its not a question of producing the missile or super-grade Pu, but a question of having a tested design using super-grade Pu.

Why would there need to be additional testing for super grade? The slight change in yield can be simulated/estimated...implosion process would not be affected. The Pu-240 detonation issues only become a major problem (design wise) in the other direction (i.e worse grades past weapons grade)....hence why Shakti-III apparently modeled this for further reference.

How old are you 12? IQ and Nukes? and Educated guess? What's next? Estimates of Indian Military's power and then their comparison to how many of them eat pop-corn? Do you see how my statement sounds? Your posts sounds like that, disconnected with reality and super weird.

Harvard is a Business and Law school. Their is no need for an "educated guess" as there is no research operation of any kind they do there. This is an Indian paid article.

You are saying that Harvard's educated guess is above the US government's "actual knowledge" that they publish to the congress putting India between 90 to 110 nukes? :rofl:. Please don't respond to my post. I am having pain in my tummy by laughing at your weird post. Why does such crap makes it into a thread on this forum!

I guess you just provided pretty good inputs to make an educated guess about your IQ and general knowledge :) :rofl:

BTW the report was produced by these folks: The Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs.

In their own words :-

"The Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs is the hub of Harvard Kennedy School's research, teaching, and training in international security and diplomacy, environmental and resource issues, and science and technology policy. In 2017, for the fourth year in a row, the Belfer Center was ranked the world's #1 University affiliated Think Tank by University of Pennsylvania's Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program."

"Harvard is a Business and Law school" :rofl:

Don't tell me that you live in Texas. Harvard is not only a Business and Law School. They have a lot many schools under their aegis. Harvard Medical School, Harvard School Engineering and Applied Sciences come to mind. Infact they are among the worlds top ranking university when it comes to both the subjects.

The article is written by a Pakistani to malign India.

So there are a lot of articles written to somehow show India the biggest super power mankind has ever known. I've read a few and you laugh at those silly things. Lately, for the past 5-6 years, there is a lot of that fake pride going on. So you are saying all those articles are written by Pakistanis to malign India? :yahoo::rofl:. I have Indian workers who work for me, and I hear-it-all!! So per your ideology, these are really Pakistanis who came to the US from India to malign India :hitwall:

Why would there need to be additional testing for super grade? The slight change in yield can be simulated/estimated...implosion process would not be affected. The Pu-240 detonation issues only become a major problem (design wise) in the other direction (i.e worse grades past weapons grade)....hence why Shakti-III apparently modeled this for further reference.

Honestly, I am not a weapons design expert. Other countries have tested designs specifically produced for SLBM warheads and one major difference was the isotope of the fuel used. SLBM is your ace in the hole. Your insurance policy, might make sense to test to to the letter T.

So there are a lot of articles written to somehow show India the biggest super power mankind has ever known. I've read a few and you laugh at those silly things. Lately, for the past 5-6 years, there is a lot of that fake pride going on. So you are saying all those articles are written by Pakistanis to malign India? :yahoo::rofl:. I have Indian workers who work for me, and I hear-it-all!! So per your ideology, these are really Pakistanis who came to the US from India to malign India :hitwall:

I have already posted the details here. If you still want live in your fantasy world no one can help.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/indi...harvard-university.502765/page-2#post-9592222

I guess you just provided pretty good inputs to make an educated guess about your IQ and general knowledge :) :rofl:

BTW the report was produced by these folks: The Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs.

In their own words :-

"The Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs is the hub of Harvard Kennedy School's research, teaching, and training in international security and diplomacy, environmental and resource issues, and science and technology policy. In 2017, for the fourth year in a row, the Belfer Center was ranked the world's #1 University affiliated Think Tank by University of Pennsylvania's Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program."

"Harvard is a Business and Law school" :rofl:

Don't tell me that you live in Texas. Harvard is not only a Business and Law School. They have a lot many schools under their aegis. Harvard Medical School, Harvard School Engineering and Applied Sciences come to mind. Infact they are among the worlds top ranking university when it comes to both the subjects.

Wow, an Indian guy will tell me about Harvard! This day was going to come. I've actually taken classes at this place and been to MIT! You obviously don't understand there are formal and informal ways to communicate. The smallest school in the US with 5000 kids will have 10 fields of education to offer. Its stupid to try to sound smart by pointing that out. My point was, Harvard, historically has always been known for Business and Laws (it has produced the top businessmen and majority of the US senators), but the point I was making, was that its not by any means a research authority of the globe on nukes. Certainly nothing compared to the US government estimates.

Harvard also teaches arts too, great way to learn how to paint. You should get a degree in the art school as your IQ won't let you into any of the other programs, otherwise. Its pretty clear how you understand the real topic behind a discussion.

@Oscar : does this topic need to remain open or be closed? Such a silly topic on a silly article.

Wow, an Indian guy will tell me about Harvard! This day was going to come. I've actually taken classes at this place and been to MIT! You obviously don't understand there are formal and informal ways to communicate. The smallest school in the US with 5000 kids will have 10 fields of education to offer. Its stupid to try to sound smart by pointing that out. My point was, Harvard, historically has always been known for Business and Laws (it has produced the top businessmen and majority of the US senators), but the point I was making, was that its not by any means a research authority of the globe on nukes. Certainly nothing compared to the US government estimates.

Harvard also teaches arts too, great way to learn how to paint. You should get a degree in the art school as your IQ won't let you into any of the other programs, otherwise. Its pretty clear how you understand the real topic behind a discussion.

@Oscar : does this topic need to remain open or be closed? Such a silly topic on a silly article.

@Oscar has taken retirement from active moderation, so you might want to try asking our beloved @The Eagle for help.

And relax before you throw your credentials around, auditing few classes confers neither any authority nor any degree. As far as credibility of these folks go, they are fairly credible. They are a renowned University Affiliated Think Tank and they work closely with Harvard Kennedy School of Government. HKS rank among top three in USA for education and research in governance and a major research centre for research in politics, international affairs which also includes global security. Sure as hell they can make an educated guess about what each country has when it comes to strategic weapons or potential to produce those. Infact, you can read up the article and see how and why they are claiming what they are claiming. The good folks also give you their sources as well.

BTW, an Indian or an African or a Chinese guy or any other guy and gal can always point out your ignorance when they notice it. The wisdom is in accepting your depth -- or lack thereof-- of knowledge and making remedy. :)

Last edited:
Honestly, I am not a weapons design expert. Other countries have tested designs specifically produced for SLBM warheads and one major difference was the isotope of the fuel used. SLBM is your ace in the hole. Your insurance policy, might make sense to test to to the letter T.

Yeah I getcha, I am not sure myself where the simulation versus validation % CL correlation lies as far as nuclear weapons design lies currently. A lot of the designs in the major powers were done way before computational power is what it is today (hence the need for hard testing and validation of each iteration).

SLBM isotope is not different (all "conventional" implosive Plutonium is Pu-239) from non-SLBM as long as both are Pu-based. Basically the purity of Pu-239 is higher (approaches 100%) in supergrade. You remove it first thing from the reactor to have absolute minimum Pu-240 prevalence...and you have to optimise the reactor for that.

It (supergrade Pu) is more to reduce the gamma radiation flux from the Pu-240 contamination as much as possible (given nuclear armed subs have nowhere near the shielding and much more exposure to the personnel deployed around them)...rather than to fiddle with the weapon implosion/yield itself. Regular weapons grade plutonium would just affect the health of the servicemen more than the same warheads with super-grade (but super grade is more expensive to produce - but deemed worth it by those that use it in lieu of increasing the weight of the submarine by using more shielding around the missile canisters).

But if you made two identical nuclear pits, one from super grade and one from weapons grade and used them in the same implosive lens design. Their outputs would be near identical...given the % non-fissioned (esp in the impulse ramp) is going to be magnitudes higher than that affected because of the Pu-240 locally "pre-detonating".

The only real thing I feel India need validate for sure is the secondary for the thermonuclear design (operating at complete 200 kt)....but I am not a scientist with the hard data on the matter (about Shakti tests etc).

Yeah I getcha, I am not sure myself where the simulation versus validation % CL correlation lies as far as nuclear weapons design lies currently. A lot of the designs in the major powers were done way before computational power is what it is today (hence the need for hard testing and validation of each iteration).

SLBM isotope is not different (all "conventional" implosive Plutonium is Pu-239) from non-SLBM as long as both are Pu-based. Basically the purity of Pu-239 is higher (approaches 100%) in supergrade. You remove it first thing from the reactor to have absolute minimum Pu-240 prevalence...and you have to optimise the reactor for that.

It (supergrade Pu) is more to reduce the gamma radiation flux from the Pu-240 contamination as much as possible (given nuclear armed subs have nowhere near the shielding and much more exposure to the personnel deployed around them)...rather than to fiddle with the weapon implosion/yield itself. Regular weapons grade plutonium would just affect the health of the servicemen more than the same warheads with super-grade (but super grade is more expensive to produce - but deemed worth it by those that use it in lieu of increasing the weight of the submarine by using more shielding around the missile canisters).

But if you made two identical nuclear pits, one from super grade and one from weapons grade and used them in the same implosive lens design. Their outputs would be near identical...given the % non-fissioned (esp in the impulse ramp) is going to be magnitudes higher than that affected because of the Pu-240 locally "pre-detonating".

The only real thing I feel India need validate for sure is the secondary for the thermonuclear design (operating at complete 200 kt)....but I am not a scientist with the hard data on the matter (about Shakti tests etc).

Honestly, I have no idea what or why may go wrong if the isotope percentages change that much between WG and Supergrade. I knew about Pu-240 being a hard gamma emitter and issues it poses for safety of personnels on subs. Logically, it makes sense that more 'enrichment' of Pu or early harvest of Pu-239 will give you Pu-239 with more purity and it should be swap-able with a WG core. I do not know if that will imply any major change in weapons design.

For thermonuclear design, I doubt we have a working bomb. We certainly have a boosted bomb which will be three to four times heavier than a thermo nuclear bomb for identical yield. Meaning you will have a missile with 3 warheads where you could have a missile with 10 warheads.

Back
Top Bottom