What's new

India grants aid of US$ 1.5 Million to University of Chicago for Vivekanand

Big Boss

BANNED
Reaction score
India grants aid of US$ 1.5 Million to University of Chicago for Vivekananda Chair

CHICAGO, Jan 30 (Bernama) -- India will provide US$1.5 million grant to the prestigious University of Chicago (UOC) to establish a Vivekananda Chair for Indian studies
as part of initiatives to mark the 150th birth anniversary of the 19th century luminary and spread his message of harmony.

A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Dean of UOC Martha Roth and Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Culture Sanjiv Mittal in presence of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.

"The Indian Government is extremely happy in giving an endowment of US$1.5 million to the University of Chicago, for establishing the Swami Vivekananda Chair," Press Trust of India quoted Mukherjee as saying.

Among activities that would be undertaken under this Chair would focus on Vivekananda, through lectures, seminars and suitable related academic activities on Indian Culture and Indian Studies, he said.

Under the MoU, India will provide the grant to UOC for the Vivekananda Chair to honour his life and legacy and to facilitate exchange of research scholars from/to India.

"We sincerely hope that this Vivekananda Chair will promote an ongoing study of the cultures and way of life of the peoples of these two great democracies, so that our two countries understand each other better and come closer together," Mukherjee, who is here to celebrate the new Indian Ministry of Culture Vivekananda Visiting Professorship at the University of Chicago.

He expressed the hope that the permanent endowment will help spread the message of harmony of religions, understanding between nations and the spiritual oneness of humanity, which Swami Vivekananda worked for.

Swami Vivekananda is considered a key figure in the introduction of Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the "Western" World, mainly in America and Europe and is also credited with raising interfaith awareness, bringing Hinduism to the status of a major world religion during the end of the 19th century C.E.

Vivekananda is considered to be a major force in the revival of Hinduism in modern India.

Vivekananda Chair: US varsity gets India aid - Indian Express

BERNAMA - India Grants US$ 1.5 Million To UOC To Establish Vivekananda Chair

Awesome!

swami-vivekananda_proverbs.jpg

I would suggest to read his writings it has nothing with religion. Its all about man making and being a Hero every day of your life.

True Hinduism to be frank.

Nice to see people worthier than those from the world of movie and sports being given some importance.

Who was this Mr. Bibek Anand?

Nice to see people worthier than those from the world of movie and sports being given some importance.

he was a spiritual guy who has given the world awesome understanding of principles of life no matter wich religion u belong to....he became world famous coz of the speech he gave at Chicago's world religious conference...

Its Swami Vivekanand.

A man of principle, greatly admired by indian youth even now. Once in a seminar in US, the organizers give him the topic of Zero, and he gave such an emphatic lecture that people didn't move for hours.

He would actually, being the rationalist he was.

rationalists are anything but nationalist.

I mean, he wouldn't mind doing it in universities in other countries.
May be he would have not liked the Idea of having a chair for Indian culture like "Advertisement" but once people decided to do that, he wouldn't the place.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

My dear brothers and sisters Vivekananda was just an ordinary guy .

That's what he would have said about himself. The point here is that so few people really, i really admit that they are ordinary people.

Yes, he was quite ordinary.
Rammohan Roy and arya samaj did lot of reforms, I am not sure what vivekananda did. But I see his pictures and quotations everywhere.

He was a rationalist, in the same sense that his Guru Ramakrishna Paramhansa was.

His guru was not rationalist. Vivekananda was, because he received good education, and travelled a lot.

His guru was not rationalist. Vivekananda was, because he received good education, and travelled a lot.

Have you ever heard him contradict the views of his Guru?

Ramakrishna was indeed rational, but beyond the level that might be accessible to the average western-educated fellow.

By the standards of Ramakrishna and Vivekananda, school syllabus is utterly superficial, though not without its utility.

1. He received two academic offers, the chair of Easnter Philosophy at Harvard University and a similar position at Columbia University. He declined both, saying that, as a wandering monk, he could not settle down to work of this kind. (Top universities in the world)

2. Swami Vivekananda's ideas were admired by several scholars and famous thinkers—William James, Josiah Royce, C. C. Everett, Dean of the Harvard School of Divinity, Robert G. Ingersoll, Nikola Tesla, Lord Kelvin, and Professor Hermann Ludwig Ferdinand von Helmholtz. (world famous scientists and inventers)

3. His speeches had tremendous influence on the Indian leaders, including Mahatma Gandhi, Bipin Chandra Pal and Balgangadhar Tilak.

4.Several leaders, philosophers and even scientists of 20th Century India and rest of the world have acknowledged Vivekananda's influence. The first governor general of independent India, Chakravarti Rajagopalachari, said "Vivekananda saved Hinduism, saved India." According to Subhash Chandra Bose, Vivekananda "is the maker of modern India" and for Mohandas Gandhi, Vivekananda's influence increased his "love for his country a thousandfold." National Youth Day in India is held on his birthday, January 12. (The leaders who got us independence was influenced by this ordinary man)

5. Jamshedji Tata was reportedly influenced by Vivekananda to establish the Indian Institute of Science—one of India's well known research university—during their conversation as fellow travelers on a ship from Japan to Chicago in 1898. (This research institute is considered among the best in the world)

6.The French Nobel Laureate Romain Rolland writes,
"His words are great music, phrases in the style of Beethoven, stirring rhythms like the march of Händel choruses. I cannot touch these sayings of his, scattered as they are through the pages of books, at thirty years' distance, without receiving a thrill through my body like an electric shock. And what shocks, what transports, must have been produced when in burning words they issued from the lips of the hero!"

If he was an ordinary person then we need more people like him who can influence our generation and generations to come.

Swami Vivekananda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was a rationalist, in the same sense that his Guru Ramakrishna Paramhansa was.

Indeed Sri Ramkrishna Paramhangsa was a rationalist, one of the stalwart of rationalist movement in 19th, he was also very spiritual.

Back
Top Bottom