What's new

India grants aid of US$ 1.5 Million to University of Chicago for Vivekanand

However Iswar chandra vidyasagar was unimpressed by his charismatic appearance.

rationalists are anything but nationalist.

I mean, he wouldn't mind doing it in universities in other countries.
May be he would have not liked the Idea of having a chair for Indian culture like "Advertisement" but once people decided to do that, he wouldn't the place.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

That's what he would have said about himself. The point here is that so few people really, i really admit that they are ordinary people.

It's not about nationalism, Indian unis need that money more than us.

Indeed Sri Ramkrishna Paramhangsa was a rationalist, one of the stalwart of rationalist movement in 19th, he was also very spiritual.

Spirituality is the science of human consciousness. The point being that it is a science, even though it may be poorly understood by the ordinary person. It is not opposed to rationality and logic.

1. He received two academic offers, the chair of Easnter Philosophy at Harvard University and a similar position at Columbia University. He declined both, saying that, as a wandering monk, he could not settle down to work of this kind. (Top universities in the world)

2. Swami Vivekananda's ideas were admired by several scholars and famous thinkers—William James, Josiah Royce, C. C. Everett, Dean of the Harvard School of Divinity, Robert G. Ingersoll, Nikola Tesla, Lord Kelvin, and Professor Hermann Ludwig Ferdinand von Helmholtz. (world famous scientists and inventers)

3. His speeches had tremendous influence on the Indian leaders, including Mahatma Gandhi, Bipin Chandra Pal and Balgangadhar Tilak.

4.Several leaders, philosophers and even scientists of 20th Century India and rest of the world have acknowledged Vivekananda's influence. The first governor general of independent India, Chakravarti Rajagopalachari, said "Vivekananda saved Hinduism, saved India." According to Subhash Chandra Bose, Vivekananda "is the maker of modern India" and for Mohandas Gandhi, Vivekananda's influence increased his "love for his country a thousandfold." National Youth Day in India is held on his birthday, January 12. (The leaders who got us independence was influenced by this ordinary man)

5. Jamshedji Tata was reportedly influenced by Vivekananda to establish the Indian Institute of Science—one of India's well known research university—during their conversation as fellow travelers on a ship from Japan to Chicago in 1898. (This research institute is considered among the best in the world)

6.The French Nobel Laureate Romain Rolland writes,
"His words are great music, phrases in the style of Beethoven, stirring rhythms like the march of Händel choruses. I cannot touch these sayings of his, scattered as they are through the pages of books, at thirty years' distance, without receiving a thrill through my body like an electric shock. And what shocks, what transports, must have been produced when in burning words they issued from the lips of the hero!"

If he was an ordinary person then we need more people like him who can influence our generation and generations to come.

Swami Vivekananda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think most of them are not able to understand my post ...... so sad.

Back
Top Bottom