What's new

India gets submarine-based nuclear missile

Cheetah,

Wait till the GoI press release through the PTI. Desi Media dont know the difference from an AK-47 to an M-4(Blain2 Copyright)

Yes it is true we have submarine based Missile,

But is it SLBM , or SLCM. We have to wait for it. There is further testing of the missile till the ATV comes online by the end of next year. It is no way inducted into the Navy.

If it was Submarine launched BM, Pakistan should have been notified, we already have a Agni Programme for it
If it was Submarine launched CM, Pakistan doesnt have to be notified, while we dont have the technology for a Turbofan Engine

I am confused.

Cheetah,

The missile has been tested 3 times, and it has not been Inducted. This is for the ATV, before the ATV comes online as a Naval Vessel, the Navy and DRDO has to make it go through its chugs for atleast 2 years. Just like when Gorshkov becomes inducted next year but still be operationalized after 2 years. The Sagarika testing will continue.

Its only ACCEPTED for Induction, but not Inducted. There is a lot more testing to be done

I believe its your famous words .it takes ''years of testing''.
oh yes lets not forget where did Pakistan get the engines for it they don't have the tech to miniaturize the engine heck even India doesn't have it. we will keep this our little secret.no one will no scouts Honor.:woot:

read my posts correctly cheetah.

I have still maintained these missile's will have to go through tests. The time frame of the test depends on how frequently they can deploy the next test.
I still say India doesn't have the capability for Cruise Missile Engine.
Agni IIISL aka Sagarika has been on the works for years and its is a wel know fact. BR even has a Graphical picture of it.

This Missile is no way will be able to deployed or operationalized in the next 1.5 years

e7ffce300d39c33390d029c68a12845e.jpg

FYI, that above foto is copyright BR, adu, always post the relevant credits as well.

In anycase, it wont be operationalised before 5 years, per my understanding. Its good news though in either case.

Cheetah darling chill until you analyse things coolly,

Sagarika HAS been tested atleast once or more, In a special interview to a reporter, If you want i can get him talk with you scientific Advisor to PM, M Natarajan after Agni 3 test did mentioned the test o another un-revealed missile test.

But here the reports are contradictory.
A SLBM was known to us for quite sometime long, but there was confusion regarding whether Sagarika exists or not, if it exists in name if it is the Agni 3 SLBM version or a SLCM.

ATV will carry SLBM IIRC, It was clear on that.

So this launched from ATV part seems vague to me for now and a medias own addition. , just like they does to all news.

What is more important is that,

This was made known at a Defence Research and Development Organisation function in New Delhi on Saturday where the team responsible for the development of the Sagarika was felicitated.

Prime Minster Manmohan Singh felicitated the defence scientists involved in the development of the cruise missile in New Delhi on Saturday.

So question remains about its,

1. Dimension
2. Propulsion
3. On which vessel will it be deployed.
4. VLS or TTL.

I'll wait for official PTI or MOD report, until I decide anything.

But hey who predicted Agni IV first? yes BR. and the Range will be around 8k to 10k depending on payload.

Cruise missile to be tested next year
12 Nov 2006, 1555 hrs IST,PTI
Print
Save
EMail
Write to Editor

NEW DELHI: Sagarika, India's first submarine-launched nuclear-capable cruise missile, will be ready for flight trials by early next year, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) sources said.

The turbo-jet powered, vertically launched cruise missile with a range of 700 nautical miles and capable of delivering a 500-kg warhead, is being developed by DRDO with Israeli assistance. India is simultaneously seeking to rope in European missile firms for the project that is being kept under wraps.

The sources said the missile's first prototype, incorporating a solid fuel booster, should be ready for a test flight by early 2008.

At the same time, the DRDO is continuing the development of the submarine-launched version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile developed jointly with Russia.

The development of these two missiles, which will turn India into only the world's fifth power with such a capability, appears to be the silver lining in the country's missile programme that has been plagued by long delays and huge cost overruns.

Print
Save
EMail
Write to Editor

This also confirms that the ATV is the last stages of developement. Wow thats great news indeed, probably more important than the SLBM capability.

India develops submarine version of Brahmos missile

September 05, 2007 15:05 IST

India has developed a submarine-launched supersonic missile, a capability hitherto the monopoly of advanced nations like the US, France [Images], Russia [Images] and some others.

The submarine-launched version of Brahmos supersonic cruise missile is ready, Defence Minister A K Antony informed Lok Sabha on Wednesday.

He, however, said trials of the missile were awaiting the necessary platform, which will be identified by the Navy soon.

According to experts, the submarines in the armoury of the Navy namely the German HDW series and the Russian Kilo class do not have the capability to launch such missiles.

India has requested Russia for loan of submarines to carry out test trials of the underwater launched version of the Brahmos.

Alternatively, the trials could be carried out in Russian waters, naval sources said.

On the air launched version of the Brahmos, the minister said this was currently in progress and attempts were being made to integrate the missile to be launched from both Air Force's SU-30 MKI fighters and Navy's IL-38 maritime reconnaissance planes.

Cruise missile to be tested next year
12 Nov 2006, 1555 hrs IST,PTI
Print
Save
EMail
Write to Editor

NEW DELHI: Sagarika, India's first submarine-launched nuclear-capable cruise missile, will be ready for flight trials by early next year, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) sources said.

The turbo-jet powered, vertically launched cruise missile with a range of 700 nautical miles and capable of delivering a 500-kg warhead, is being developed by DRDO with Israeli assistance. India is simultaneously seeking to rope in European missile firms for the project that is being kept under wraps.

The sources said the missile's first prototype, incorporating a solid fuel booster, should be ready for a test flight by early 2008.

At the same time, the DRDO is continuing the development of the submarine-launched version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile developed jointly with Russia.

The development of these two missiles, which will turn India into only the world's fifth power with such a capability, appears to be the silver lining in the country's missile programme that has been plagued by long delays and huge cost overruns.

Print
Save
EMail
Write to Editor

Not sure if I believe the collaboration piece in the above article. 700 mile range clearly makes this subject to MTCR which disallows any joint collaboration from any European company/nation. Israel is not a signatory to MTCR so I can see them helping out but don't expect much from the European side.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom