What's new

India gang-rape victim in Singapore for treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't Indians change the law to impose death penalty on the rapists? Obviously it has not been working.

Thats what all those protests are about^^ Harder punishment
for rape cases, faster trials and more security for women.

Why can't India punish its criminals?

The only problem with rape cases are that the rapists gets a very minor punishment for his crime . Therefore people are protesting for change in laws . The end of story .

The only problem with rape cases are that the rapists gets a very minor punishment for his crime . Therefore people are protesting for change in laws . The end of story .
The Law
Section 376 (Indian Penal Code)
Punishment for rape
* A person who commits rape shall
be punished with imprisonment
which shall not be less than seven
years; or which may be life
imprisonment;
or up to 10 years
* If the woman raped is his own wife
and is not under 12, the rapist will
get up to two years' imprisonment or
be fined, or both
* A police officer who rapes a woman
in a police station or who is in his
custody or a public servant or a
hospital staff who rapes a women in
his custody or a person who rapes a
girl under 12 or rapes a pregnant
woman, or men who commit a gang-
rape are liable to be punished with
minimum 10 years' rigorous
imprisonment or up to life
imprisonment, or fine or both
* The law provides that the court
may, for adequate and special
reasons to be mentioned in the
judgment, impose a sentence of
imprisonment for a term of less than
seven years.

I AM NOT AMONG THOSE WHO ASK FOR MORE PUNISHMENT,
today law is too much in favour of girls that if a girl complaints about a man of misbehavior, vulgar language, etc and if he couldn't prove(not vice versa ) that he is innocent he could go to jail for 3 years(many women are misusing this law to take personal revenge ), not only this, in India even for small crimes, breaking of law, the punishment is big, and disproportionate .through out the year's we have been increasing the amount of punishment for every crime, to hide and compensate govt's , police's , justice systems inefficiency to deliver in time in their respective areas.. because making law is an easy job compared to enforcing it timely and effectively. as a result poor people who has no backing of money and political support will get
civior punishment while other big fishes escape. IMO this type of crimes are still happening because justice is not delivered, or not delivered in time, negligence from the side of police, to prevent, conduct enquiry, support for the victim and her family from authorities and society etc reasons.

How disgusting, can't believe this sort of stuff happens anywhere, it's barbaric, wrong and horrid. The rapists should be castrated, then sent to prison where you-know-what will happen to him. Then after 10 years, he should be shot and killed.

Can't see that happening in India though, who wants to bet he'll be out in 2 years?

I thought 14 years meant 7 years since a day is split into day and night?

Our life is 25 years :D

The whole incident makes me hang my head in shame.

No words to describe my sense of anger not so much at the rapists but at the system which looks at women as an object not as a human with feelings, values , sentiment & self respect.

@ the subject, there is a thought process that says the Govt has deliberately sent the girl to Singapore - that way the protesters outside the hospital lose a rallying point.

God be with her.

The whole incident makes me hang my head in shame.

No words to describe my sense of anger not so much at the rapists but at the system which looks at women as an object not as a human with feelings, values , sentiment & self respect.

@ the subject, there is a thought process that says the Govt has deliberately sent the girl to Singapore - that way the protesters outside the hospital lose a rallying point.

God be with her.

Hard to say mate though that is one of the factors, apparently one of the other factors is that Singapore is a multi organ transplant facility. That does provide an indicator the poor lady might need an organ transplant. We shall see. God bless.

Its not the number of years or death that is a deterrent. Its the mentality of the people that needs to change.

Secondly, they need to be sure that every rapist is caught. If the conviction rate is 100%, people will not do it. They only do it because they think they can get away with it.

Its this factor, that they think they might get away is the crucial one. This needs to be changed, lets make sure police is 100% effective and conviction rate 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom