What's new

India & France In Talks For 36 More Rafales?

I am aware that there isn't really a 5th gen fighter available for Hindustan at the moment, but wouldn't the funds going to Rafale be better spent on developing the Tejas or (as you said) AMCA? Or why not buy more of the aircraft currently in Hindustan's inventory, rather than buying more platforms? Wouldn't it be more cost effective, and easier for your pilots?

Not to mention France completely ripped you guys off, the price for just 36 of those planes was insane.
There are 2 sides to this

Let's say France ripped us off for the 36 fighters
Qatar previously purchased 24 Rafales for $7.02bn which is around $300 million per jet

Egypt bought 24 Rafales for $5.9bn
which is $245 million per jet

India purchased 36 Rafales for $8.6bn which is around $240 million per jet which also includes weapons, spares, maintenance package etc.

The recently signed agreement of 12 Rafales by Qatar is a follow on order and India would get the follow on order at 60% of the current price. Moreover, India has 50% offset clause where half that money would be re-invested in India. From this, I'm pretty sure France didn't rip us off in any aspect and our follow on order of 36 jets would cost 60% of our initial deal

Secondly, we have a shortage of fighters and IAF will be retiring both Mid-21s and 27s at a rapid pace in the next 10 years. LCA will fill the role of Mig-21s and maybe even the 27s to some extent but we need a medium fighter as a stop gap until AMCA becomes a reality. What you said is absolutely correct and I would want IAF to focus more on developing indigenous platforms but filling in fighters and reaching the 42 squadrons is something to be kept in mind.

Coupled with this is the rampant corruption in IAF's top brass which is why the Single engine fighter tender has been issued and cancelled a couple of times even though LCA is in the making. IA and IAF's top brass would go to any extent for their kickbacks and commissions and try to sabotage any indigenous project in the making

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...first-36-from-france/articleshow/60226329.cms

http://www.france24.com/en/20150216-france-egypt-sign-deal-sale-rafale-fighter-jets

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middl...fale-fighter-jets-france-150504100952250.html

Last edited:
You guys have a decent 4th gen fleet, and you're already making your own 4th gen fighter (Tejas). Why not just focus on 5th gen for now or buy more of the platforms you already have, rather than making new acquisitions?

5th gen is the future.

Tejas still need some more improvement .
And Rafale is medium class and LCA is light class .That is the difference .

We are also working on medium class and it is 5th Gen.But commencement happens only after LCA production finish

Mig29,mirage2000s aren't gen 4 when we purchased,but yeah they are being upgraded .
do you know the definition of 4th gen

Stealth is kinda what makes 5th gen 5th gen lol.
block 70/60, rafale and trench 3 are pretty much the similar differentiated only by endurance(even that not by big/significant margin)
the typhoon and euro fighter does have a slightly better/DIFFERENT aerodynamic design though(arguably)
but i would rate the avionics and ECM suit of block 60 best among st all

its cheaper because of scale of production, Americans are even going to make the f35 30-40% cheaper than rafale!

I heard India was considering buying F16s what happened to that?

The choice was between the F-16 and Gripen.

The govt has decided to combine the single engine requirement with the LCA program. So we are expecting 300+ LCA instead.

A new tender will be launched for 100+ aircraft. The F-16 will have to compete with all other aircraft here in a new MMRCA program.

What is your plan then, I think the SU-57 deal fell apart

The Su-57 deal is independent from the other aircraft deals. The fall back plan for the Su-57 is India's own AMCA.

The decision is still pending though. We may opt for 63 PAK FA from Russian lines or 120+ FGFA with joint ownership, indigenous production etc. The problem is the huge cost of the program.

Tejas still need some more improvement .
And Rafale is medium class and LCA is light class .That is the difference .

We are also working on medium class and it is 5th Gen.But commencement happens only after LCA production finish

So once LCA finish production. AMCA will be ready after 30 years?
I hope India design AMCA as a 7th gen fighter.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom