India far behind Pakistan, China in nuclear technology: experts

PakistaniandProud

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
* Nuclear experts say Indian missile technology inferior to that of Pakistan

* Indian delivery systems have reliability issues

By Asif Mehmood

LONDON: The world’s leading nuclear experts have revealed that Indian nuclear technology and capabilities are far behind than its putative adversaries, Pakistan and China.

Hans M Kristensen, director of the Nuclear Information Project at the Federation of American Scientists and Robert S Norris, Senior Research Associate Natural Resources Defence Council Inc, Washington, in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists revealed that for New Delhi, the principal means of weapons delivery remains fixed-wing aircraft like the Mirage-2000 and the Jaguar. Unlike Pakistan and China, which have substantial deployed missile arsenals, India’s missile force is lagging, despite the test-launch of the Agni V in 2012.

The Bulletin notes, “The Agni I and Agni II, despite being declared operational, both have reliability issues that have delayed their full operational service.” The other missiles in the Agni series – the Agni III, IV and V – all remain under development. Indeed, the report notes that “the bulk of the Indian ballistic missile force is comprised of three versions of Prithvi missiles, but only one of these versions, the army’s Prithvi I, has a nuclear role”. Considering that the lumbering Prithvi I requires hours to get ready for launch and has a range of just 150km, it indicates that the Indian nuclear weapons capability is short-legged indeed, the experts said.

Nevertheless, the Bulletin notes, the development of the Agni V has introduced “a new dynamic into the already complex triangular security relationship between India, Pakistan and China”.

Former Indian naval chief Admiral Arun Prakash has admitted that India is lagging in nuclear capabilities and said, “We have to rely on the word of our DRDO/DAE scientists as far as performance, reliability, accuracy and yield of missiles and nuclear warheads are concerned. Unfortunately, hyperbolic claims coupled with dissonance within the ranks of our scientists have eroded their credibility.”

“As of now,” the Bulletin says, “we estimate that India has produced 80-100 nuclear warheads”. In the case of Pakistan, whose evaluation was done in 2011, the Bulletin analysis has said that “it has the world’s fastest-growing nuclear stockpile”, estimating that Pakistan “has 90-110 nuclear weapons”. The Pakistani arsenal, too, consists of mainly aircraft-dropped bombs, but with its Chinese-supplied missiles, it has a deployed arsenal of missiles like the Ghaznavi, Shaheen I and Ghauri and is developing longer-range missiles. Significantly, Pakistan’s India-specific arsenal comprises of the Nasr short-range (70km) ballistic missile, which can use nuclear weapons to take out troop formations and Pakistan is in the advanced stage of developing two cruise missiles – the Babar and the Raad.

If this is dismaying for New Delhi, the comparison with China is positively alarming. Beijing has an arsenal of 240 or so warheads and it is adding to this number, though not at the pace Pakistan is. Its nuclear weapons are primarily delivered through a mature missile arsenal with ranges from 2,000-11,000km. A large number of Chinese missiles, including their cruise missiles, are primarily for use in non-nuclear conventional battle role. Raghavan acknowledges that “China is a different kettle of fish”, but he says even so, with the Agni V test, “India’s progress has been commendable”. But there are big differences between India and China in terms of technology and capability.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Lol....pakistani newspaper claiming that Pakistan has better technology... :P

I find it childish when ppl start a counting game with Nukes.

It took two to pre pone the end of WW II. In any case today , it matters little how many nukes one has. What is more relevant is how many strikes can a nation sustain without disruption in its Command & Control set up which would in turn guide the retaliatory strikes.

Keeping a portion of nuke assets at sea & in air is a good option .

If Pak feels that India's assets have poor delivery systems I think we should encourage such thoughts.

I find it childish when ppl start a counting game with Nukes.

It took two to pre pone the end of WW II. In any case today , it matters little how many nukes one has. What is more relevant is how many strikes can a nation sustain without disruption in its Command & Control set up which would in turn guide the retaliatory strikes.

Keeping a portion of nuke assets at sea & in air is a good option .

If Pak feels that India's assets have poor delivery systems I think we should encourage such thoughts.

India only has Jaguar and MG-2000 to deliver nukes...

Oh please.
India already has Agni I, II, and III operational and deployed. They even recently moved a couple of Agni III to a location that I can not reveal.

Prithvi series is all operational. Mirage 2000 and Jaguar will be used to deliver tactical nukes(5-25 KT), whereas missiles are for strategic nukes(>100 KT)

Aircraft are any day a better option to deliver tactical nukes, they are precise, and result in less civilian deaths. Missiles are for mass destruction.

Last time i was on this thread it was having 3 or more pages what happened to it. i guess its double posted!

the title has to be changed to indian far behind in number of nuclear weapons............ indian believes in deterrence posture than piling up nukes without being able to protect them from terrorists........ the author doesnt take into account fusion devices andt just compares numbers............. regarding missiles we all know they are tested by SFC from the production lot, even if reliability is in question in about 3 years it will be fixed when agni 3,shorya,k-15,agni4 production pickup........

Plz u guys take the lead , we are happy with our 80 - 90 nukes .
We just need to increase the ranges of our existing missile arsenal which i beleive is already taking place :tup:

It will also have Rafale :azn:

Few problems are problems of whole nation and this is one of the them :rolleyes: in pakistan :lol:

if chines copies sooth u then its good :enjoy:

India is far far far behind in Nuke technology to Pakistan . We need binoculars to see the back of pakistan.......thats how far behind we are ............................Our nuclear power plants, thorium reactors and nuke reactor technologies are all cardboard cutout super glued to concrete to fool satellite eyes !!

Damn these britishers found out.. Oue missiles were made in Sivakasi ..........seems we have a spy who informed this han kristen !

Oh please.
India already has Agni I, II, and III operational and deployed. They even recently moved a couple of Agni III to a location that I can not reveal.

Prithvi series is all operational. Mirage 2000 and Jaguar will be used to deliver tactical nukes(5-25 KT), whereas missiles are for strategic nukes(>100 KT)

Aircraft are any day a better option to deliver tactical nukes, they are precise, and result in less civilian deaths. Missiles are for mass destruction.

Usually, when Pakistanis underestimate Indian conventional military capability, i'm happy cause Pakistanis will be in for a surprise. ;)

However, underestimating Indian nuclear weapons is not funny, as it can end the subcontinent :frown:

Usually, when Pakistanis underestimate Indian conventional military capability, i'm happy cause Pakistanis will be in for a surprise. ;)

However, underestimating Indian nuclear weapons is not funny, as it can end the subcontinent :frown:

I think the journalist gave too much attention to the missile "gap" and from there on its just butter and honey.
However.. Pakistan did have a missile "tried and tested" early as it was simply procured from China/NK.
The Shaheen series were more indigenous.. and have achieved IOC early this decade..
By contrast , India took longer to declare IOC(due to a completely homemade system) for its systems and hence the perception of the gap.

The much touted warhead capability gap is fairly academic.. since Pakistan has stepped away from its initial Chinese derived design to somewhat more of a European hybrid. that is due to better leadership of the organizations since the mid-2000 decade.

Indian warhead designs have also moved away from the basic Ruski(public) blueprint to a local one.

So the actual "gap" is in the number of "complete" warheads rather than tech for now(although this will tilt in the favour of India as its Missile engine technology is now much ahead of Pakistans).

Back
Top Bottom