What's new

India Eyes Su-30 AESA Upgrade

marcos98

Reaction score
India Eyes Su-30 AESA Upgrade
crw89557669344.jpg

BY: AviationWeek.com

India is looking at fitting its Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighters with Russian Phazotron Zhuk-AE active, electronically scanned array (AESA) radars.

The X-band radar can track 30 aerial targets in the track-while-scan mode and engage six targets simultaneously in attack mode. By 2018, the Indian air force inventory is expected to comprise around 300 Su-30MKIs.

India’s Sukhois currently use N011M passive array technology, which delivers less peak power than an AESA. The N011M also has limitations in its back-end processing and requires more maintenance.

Defense Minister A.K. Antony recently told the Indian parliament about a proposal to upgrade the Indian air force’s Su-30 fleet. The upgrade is be carried out by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. and Russia’s Irkutsk, the original equipment manufacturer, starting in 2012. It is likely that the order for the AESA also will be made simultaneously, as the radar will have to be integrated into most parts of the aircraft, including the navigation systems and engines.

The Su-30 entered service in India in 2000 — the purchase was approved in 1997 — and the aircraft have not been upgraded since.

AESA technology offers improved performance and reliability compared with traditional mechanically scanned array radars. India also has made it clear that having an AESA will be critical in the competition for 126 medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA). For instance, the F-16IN is being proposed with the Northrop Grumman APG-80, while the F/A-18E/F is being bid with the Raytheon APG-78. All the other contenders have offered an AESA road map,

During the April trials for the MiG-35, the Zhuk AE test radar had a slightly smaller array than the production version would feature. The MiG-35 also is a contender in the MMRCA competition.

India would also expect to field an AESA on the fifth-generation fighter — the co-development and production effort with Russia built around the Sukhoi T-50.

I hope now our stupid media realises the difference between 'obsolescent' and 'obsolete':coffee:

I would like to see how a Russian Radar works with Israeli avionics.

Phazotron Zhuk AE AESA
Zhuk-AE can detect aerial targets at ranges up to 148 km (head on) in both look-up or look down modes. Look-up tail-on detection range is 50km (40km look down). The radar can track 30 aerial targets in the track-while-scan mode, and engage six targets simultaneously in the attack mode.

Russia claims 200 km range for MiG-35's Phazotron Zhuk AE
Posted by vkthakur on Thursday, September 17, 2009 (EST)
As the MMRCA competition heats up, Phazotron NIIR corporation has offered a 52 km increase in the detection range of its Zhuk AE AESA fitted on its contender in the race - MiG-35.
Phazotron Zhuk AE: Assessing Russia's First AESA
The Zhuk-AE AESA [Click for more ...] is an offspring of the Zhuk-MF/MFE variant, a 0.7 m diameter aperture PESA derivative of the N010M Zhuk-M and Zhuk-ME variants, and was developed for the MiG-35 Fulcrum being bid for India's MRCA requirement to replace initially 128 of around 400 legacy Russian fighters.

Seems more like a downgrade to me. BARS has a detection range of 350+ KMs for aerial targets compare to 200 KM for Zhuk-AE. Zhuk-AE is smaller with with less number of T/R modules.

Or are we looking at the Zhuk ASE AESA, larger variant of Zhuk-AE designed for flankers?

which radar is fitted on the resently delivered MIG-29K to indian navy...?

isn't it the Zhuk-AE ?

ahh yes but you see you are very afraid of us nick named ( CRY BABY )

Crap... India stopping your deals or highlighting the sale of defence to you is not called Cry baby buddy instead it is called diplomacy.. To say you cant even do cry against us.. which is not because you didnt want but you cant... India highlights its concern.. and its works... you to cry on kashmir but no one is listening that is the difference our diplomacy and your cry act

Why U guys always think all world is afraid of you:what:

Do you think pakistan has such a big fire power that piss india off:confused:

Why U guys always think all world is afraid of you:what:

Do you think pakistan has such a big fire power that piss india off:confused:

If India is looking for AESA I don't see what's wrong with that, Pakistan should have nothing to do with it...but just remember it's not us that get worried we you receive new fighters.

india loves blowing money on defence needs ..... reminds me od Drake song “i got money to blow” with mr. Atoney danceing to it

And Pakistan likes blowing its economy,the economy completely in shatter's yet a 4 % defense budget

Current MKI Radar "NIIP N011M Bars (Panther)" Specs

The BOLD things are superior to PAF but PAF have almost close capability the ones which r BOLD and UNDERLINR

The forward facing NIIP N011M Bars (Panther) is a powerful integrated passive electronically scanned array radar. The N011M is a digital multi-mode dual frequency band radar. The N011M can function in air-to-air and air-to-land/sea mode simultaneously while being tied into a high-precision laser-inertial or GPS navigation system. It is equipped with a modern digital weapons control system as well as anti-jamming features. N011M has a 350 km search range and a maximum 200 km tracking range[F-16 Block 52, AWACS + JF17], and 60 km in the rear hemisphere. [F-16's + JF's] The radar can track 15 air targets and engage 4 simultaneously.[JF-17 can do that as well] These targets can even include cruise missiles and motionless helicopters. The Su-30MKI can function as a mini-AWACS as a director or command post for other aircraft. The target co-ordinates can be transferred automatically to at least four other aircraft. The radar can detect ground targets such as tanks at 40–50 km [Mirage, JF, F-16].

The BOLD things are superior to PAF but PAF have almost close capability the ones which r BOLD and UNDERLINR

I dont think MKI is that outstanding that its a serious issue for PAF.. :)

Kya faltoo kaam ho raha hai..Achchhe khase thread ka kabad kar diya....

Please lets concentrate on the topic please..
I thought there was a proposal to upgrade to BARS AESA itself..This ZHUK-AE was never an option. Plus why dont use the huge power being generated. We can get an AESA with atleast 1700 T/R modules running with the power generated in MKI.. think This ZHUK-AE will be an upgraded version..

Back
Top Bottom