What's new

India ends search for survivors in Mumbai rubble

gotti

Reaction score
Rescuers in India have ended their search for survivors in the rubble of a Mumbai high-rise which collapsed killing 72 people, 26 of them children.

The seven-storey block in Thane, an unauthorised building which was already inhabited despite being still under construction, collapsed on Thursday.

Many people were also injured and the death toll may rise further.

Illegal construction work in the Mumbai region is driven by high demand for housing from the growing population.

A deputy municipal commissioner and senior police officer have been suspended for dereliction of duty and allegedly colluding with the builders, and an investigation has been ordered.

Police were seeking the arrest of the builders, local police commissioner KP Raghuvanshi said.

Rescue workers used heavy equipment on Friday and through the night into Saturday to try to cut through the rubble, while rescue dogs searched for survivors.

Building work had continued at the block even though four floors were already occupied.

More than 100 people are reported to have been pulled out alive, among them a 10-month-old girl. But AP news agency reported her parents had not been found.

"The building collapsed like a pack of cards within three to four seconds," Reuters news agency quoted a local resident named Ramlal as saying. "It just tilted a bit and collapsed."

One police official told the BBC that the collapse appeared to have been caused by the use of substandard building material.

Witnesses said the construction of the building started just six weeks ago, since when seven floors had been built. The eighth floor was under construction.

One local resident told the Associated Press the building was only supposed to have four storeys.

"People from the municipality used to visit the building but the builder still continued to add floors,'' said the man, who did not give his name.

Building collapses are common in India, with poor construction practices often blamed.

BBC News - India ends search for survivors in Mumbai rubble

We sympathize with the Indians and also would like to send out our condolences to the families of the victims.

Our only question or query would be, why, in a higher than first world country like India, which has been unanimously given the title of the sole "out of the world" country, for its greatness, has such a thing happened?

How can a building collapse in a country where buildings are built like mountains and used by billionaires as homes (overlooking a million people in slums)?

If there are protests for this, it would mean Indians have finally woken up to the corruption the construction companies were involved in and they will not scapegoat the "Bhaiyyas" for this, like everything, as Raj Thackeray would (given that this happened in Mumbai).

Furthermore, I believe, Anna Hazare needs to use his Hindutva platform to raise a voice against the corruption here and not just blame the Congress for all social ills, like the apparent "social ill" of dividing the right-wing vote bank of Punjab (with Bhindrawale) and Maharashtra (with Raj Thackeray).

PS. We agree the division of the right-wing vote-bank happens because Zardari is also doing this using the PTI and Imran Khan whilst getting direct instructions from the Congress' Sachin Pilot (husband of Farooq Abdullah's daughter) when they visit Ajmer. However, the question here is on corruption.

We sympathize with the Indians and also would like to send out our condolences to the families of the victims.

Our only question or query would be, why, in a higher than first world country like India, which has been unanimously given the title of the sole "out of the world" country, for its greatness, has such a thing happened?

How can a building collapse in a country where buildings are built like mountains and used by billionaires as homes (overlooking a million people in slums)?

If there are protests for this, it would mean Indians have finally woken up to the corruption the construction companies were involved in and they will not scapegoat the "Bhaiyyas" for this, like everything, as Raj Thackeray would (given that this happened in Mumbai).

Furthermore, I believe, Anna Hazare needs to use his Hindutva platform to raise a voice against the corruption here and not just blame the Congress for all social ills, like the apparent "social ill" of dividing the right-wing vote bank of Punjab (with Bhindrawale) and Maharashtra (with Raj Thackeray).

PS. We agree the division of the right-wing vote-bank happens because Zardari is also doing this using the PTI and Imran Khan whilst getting direct instructions from the Congress' Sachin Pilot (husband of Farooq Abdullah's daughter) when they visit Ajmer. However, the question here is on corruption.

so many times i said, stop bringing religion in every issue...

reading your rants makes me believe you need psychiatric help, religion is only brought into anything when you run out of facts.

reading your rants makes me believe you need psychiatric help, religion is only brought into anything when you run out of facts.

Coming from those who have found nationalism through religion and believe anyone who disbelieves in Ram is to be slaughtered or oppressed like the Christians, Muslims, Shaivites and Sikhs.

@gotti, I think you were dropped multiple times head first when you were a kid?

Buildings collapse all over the world, and it's the private constructor who is to be blamed and in this case those ******* are absconding, and many people have died and you bring in totally unrelated cr@p into this topic.

If Anna Hazare cared for corruption that does not result in people losing their lives, then surely, he must be deeply involved in protesting corruption where lives were lost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming from those who have found nationalism through religion and believe anyone who disbelieves in Ram is to be slaughtered or oppressed like the Christians, Muslims, Shaivites and Sikhs.

If Anna Hazare cared for corruption that does not result in people losing their lives, then surely, he must be deeply involved in protesting corruption where lives were lost?

The collapse of Building has various reasons and it needs to be investigated , no need to jump conclusion and letting you brain farts here.

The collapse of Building has various reasons and it needs to be investigated , no need to jump conclusion and letting you brain farts here.

What are the various reasons?

Please enlighten the whole of this forum if it could've been anything except corruption through the government's awarded contracts?

Who do you think can be fooled by your illogical statements? Not us. We know how corruption played a role in the collapse of this building and the Indians are choosing to remain mum because there's no politics involved.

Where is Anna Hazare now?

@gotti, I usually do not comment on inde-pakistan topics unless I have a formed opinion however you monsieur a pathetic piece of crap, if mods want I will delete my post however how low do you have to go to make a political statement. Right now a tragedy happened, 72 innocent people died in the rubble and yet you have the gulls to make it political, when you could've phrased it in a different way, I pray to lord that you gain some sympathy and ethiquette about manners. This post i have made is highly inflamattory if anybody else with exception to you finds my politically incorrect comment offensive, I apologize in advance.

To indienne members i know this is not official thread but we are along side you folks in the saddening tragedy and hopefully the government gets into the bottom of it and the perpetrators pay for their heinous crime, we had a similar incident with a bridge collapse here several years ago, thankfully no lives were harmed , so we do understand the dangers of corrupt and heartless mafia eh monsieur.

What are the various reasons?

Please enlighten the whole of this forum if it could've been anything except corruption through the government's awarded contracts?

Who do you think can be fooled by your illogical statements? Not us. We know how corruption played a role in the collapse of this building and the Indians are choosing to remain mum because there's no politics involved.

Where is Anna Hazare now?

Hey I have told let the investigation complete, How can you ***** the situation with put knowing the true facts which can only be known once the investigation report is tabled.

If you don't know the process just be silent.

I am not the one in a bunch of Yahoos ready to jump to conclusion and post B.S there by letting the hatred flow here.

First of all the building which collapsed is not in Mumbai city it is in Mumbra (very famous place for illegal immigrants from Bangladesh & for anti-social elements & terrorists hideouts) and the building was not even a high rise..it was only 7 stories high...Mumbra which falls under Thane District and Thane municipality is famous for only two things - illegal constructions which are in plenty and for being a favored hideout for terrorists(as support base is more on amount of illegal immigrants) and anti-social elements from a certain community...and the place is extremely dirty....and you get flats here dirt cheap as compared to Mumbai 12 -15 Lacs for 1 BHK of 550 sq ft as the place is illegal without any documents supporting the builders claim of ownership of land and without any proper municipal permissions...compare this to Mumbai where a typical 1 BHK flat would cost 80 lacs in the vicinity of city limits and more than 1- 2 crore in the suburbs

Had you spent more time on this forum you might realize that i am a catholic and a so called minority . and have yet in my 38 yrs to feel oppressed. . but then all you need is a reason to rant and foam at the mouth. why bring reality or truth into it. :)

In my opinion monsieur, ignore these type of folks we have em here to with regards to gun rights and not respect to victims. Let him have his 15 mins of monologue and then he will go away!

You are true mate :cheers:

Had you spent more time on this forum you might realize that i am a catholic and a so called minority . and have yet in my 38 yrs to feel oppressed. . but then all you need is a reason to rant and foam at the mouth. why bring reality or truth into it. :)

@jbgt90 lets meet yaar...i would be coming to Dadar or Wadala on Monday...maybe we can meet ???

Back
Top Bottom