What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

I think it all depends on how you look at it. I don't think many people outside or even inside India will consider India developed by 2020. Maybe by 2030-45.

I think a huge factor is poverty, once levels are below 15-20% India can be proud of itself and can be consider itself developed to an extent. The way things are going ie a year on year 1% reduction in poverty levels in India which should accelerate in coming years- in most of our lifetimes we can see reasonably low levels of poverty in India.

India will only be developed when literacy rates, life expectancy and per capita incomes increase dramatically.

Like I said- 2030-45 is a more more attainable level. 2 decades of 5-6%+ economic growth will see things go this way.

And sir it's not about the headline grabbing infra projects like super talls and metro projects in the mega cities. But about village level power, decent road connectivity wherever you go in India, higher Internet users per 1000 Indians, more university enrolments, improved healthcare for all, great infrastructure in tier 2 and 3 cities etc etc. Delhi,Mumbai, Bangalore and a few others by 2020-25 will be a world class cities by many counts but what about the rest of India? No one can get left behind in new India and here must be trickle down effects.

The problem with this country is that there are way too many people! It is an unpleasant shock as to how many people are packed into an area that is day by day proving to be quite inadequate to handle them all. It is a vicious circle really. The more people you have, the "quality" of people decrease which in turn is responsible for more births. People are still not educated enough to collectively bring down the fertility rates. What India needs is literally some quick de-population. It sounds harsh but that is the way to go.

In some years I doubt we will be able to manage so many people and I seriously doubt we will have enough land to house that many. House prices are anyway currently out of reach for the middle class guy, I shiver when I think what will happen even 5 years from now. A bit off topic, sorry for that but you brought up some points which got me thinking :D

Bombay...
z7p9.jpg

c3yp.jpg

wosd.jpg

yeoy.jpg

wcj2.jpg

cc: me

The problem with this country is that there are way too many people! It is an unpleasant shock as to how many people are packed into an area that is day by day proving to be quite inadequate to handle them all. It is a vicious circle really. The more people you have, the "quality" of people decrease which in turn is responsible for more births. People are still not educated enough to collectively bring down the fertility rates. What India needs is literally some quick de-population. It sounds harsh but that is the way to go.

In some years I doubt we will be able to manage so many people and I seriously doubt we will have enough land to house that many. House prices are anyway currently out of reach for the middle class guy, I shiver when I think what will happen even 5 years from now. A bit off topic, sorry for that but you brought up some points which got me thinking :D

^^

What nonsense. The problem with the West is de-population- clients and customers.

Recession in the West effects forumers here too but remember, India is not the West.

For once, India is not building Taj Mahal and Victoria Terminus type projects but nameless expressways, water pipes and power plants like Tata's Mundra UMPP. 1000 yrs. of catching up maybe, not in totality, but funds have diverted in the past 1000 yrs. from the public good to colonists' fancy dreams of stone, steel and marble ok.

The pace has picked up in the past 10 yrs., and by 2020 decent infra. will be in place for the first time in some 1000 yrs. I don't want to attack you personally, but you will shiver allright if you immigrate to Canada ;) like many Af-Pak's, Indians and other S. Asians tend to these days. Mass housing, flats and such is getting cheaper by the day.

Quesion is what will forumers be doing to leverage above in 7 yrs., I have my plans.

Whining about India on internet forums is a luxury not eveyone can afford.

This may sound contradictory, but I'd rather India had built water and sewer systmes before the highways projects. Now it's dangerous to critique because someforumers are sensitive and jumpy, but India unlike America was not cut out to be a motoring country, specially not highway motoring. It's a rail country. But politicians played the China card and fixed Global funding for pet highways project. And commissions for all. Sad.

SInce the govt. is in every drop and iota of water, electricity and fertiliser; nobody can compete and goons run the show. Again imbalanced system.

Whatever the govt. provides in India turns out to be the most expensive stuff in the long and short term. Govt. subsidies for the poor, being fixed by Nandan Nilekani scheme, are teh world's biggest loot for eg.

7 yrs., give or take a few; deadline 2020; still stands for me. I won't buy the West's and fashionable, English savvy Indians' doom-&-gloom story about India going down. IT's all ****-&-Bull. Not gonna happen, sorry.

I can clearly see the point, the India doom-gloom story is a discount Indian market entry biz. model for Global types and a slick exit strategy for desi 'lites.

^^

What nonsense. The problem with the West is de-population- clients and customers.

Recession in the West effects forumers here too but remember, India is not the West.

For once, India is not building Taj Mahal and Victoria Terminus type projects but nameless expressways, water pipes and power plants like Tata's Mundra UMPP. 1000 yrs. of catching up maybe, not in totality, but funds have diverted in the past 1000 yrs. from the public good to colonists' fancy dreams of stone, steel and marble ok.

The pace has picked up in the past 10 yrs., and by 2020 decent infra. will be in place for the first time in some 1000 yrs. I don't want to attack you personally, but you will shiver allright if you immigrate to Canada ;) like many Af-Pak's, Indians and other S. Asians tend to these days. Mass housing, flats and such is getting cheaper by the day.

Quesion is what will forumers be doing to leverage above in 7 yrs., I have my plans.

Whining about India on internet forums is a luxury not eveyone can afford.

This may sound contradictory, but I'd rather India had built water and sewer systmes before the highways projects. Now it's dangerous to critique because someforumers are sensitive and jumpy, but India unlike America was not cut out to be a motoring country, specially not highway motoring. It's a rail country. But politicians played the China card and fixed Global funding for pet highways project. And commissions for all. Sad.

SInce the govt. is in every drop and iota of water, electricity and fertiliser; nobody can compete and goons run the show. Again imbalanced system.

Whatever the govt. provides in India turns out to be the most expensive stuff in the long and short term. Govt. subsidies for the poor, being fixed by Nandan Nilekani scheme, are teh world's biggest loot for eg.

7 yrs., give or take a few; deadline 2020; still stands for me. I won't buy the West's and fashionable, English savvy Indians' doom-&-gloom story about India going down. IT's all ****-&-Bull. Not gonna happen, sorry.

I can clearly see the point, the India doom-gloom story is a discount Indian market entry biz. model for Global types and a slick exit strategy for desi 'lites.

It is always good to be an optimist, but once in a while, do try to be a realist. We WILL grow but the growth will not be fast enough. We can sit here and speculate all we want but let us wait for 2020 and see. I see you are in Canada. Why are you there if you are so gung-ho about India? Why not move your entire family to your "matrubhoomi" like right now? Or are you just another hypocrite patent sahaab? There are many many things about India that I do not like (and many that I do). Overpopulation is on top of my ****-list. Either accept that it is a problem or provide evidence that it is not and will not be in the future.

It is always good to be an optimist, but once in a while, do try to be a realist. We WILL grow but the growth will not be fast enough. We can sit here and speculate all we want but let us wait for 2020 and see. I see you are in Canada. Why are you there if you are so gung-ho about India? Why not move your entire family to your "matrubhoomi" like right now? Or are you just another hypocrite patent sahaab? There are many many things about India that I do not like (and many that I do). Overpopulation is on top of my ****-list. Either accept that it is a problem or provide evidence that it is not and will not be in the future.

You're right bro and from what I've heard the growth isn't going to level out until 2040-50 and by then the population of India will be 1.71+ billion. Here's hoping the in the next 3 decades education in India is sorted out so that much of this 1.71 billion population is educated and has decent job prospects otherwise India is sitting on a real time bomb.

^^

Gujju, Abingdonboy ... sorry, I am not a matrubhoomi, I was born in Canada of parents born in the UK. My first language is English, 2'd French and 3'rd ... None of us are Asian, I am hardly Indian then, n'est pas ;) .

But just because I had some chicken tandoori masala for lunch today makes me Indian per you, then you probably have a lot of matrubhoomi Indians on your hands.

Last time I checked it was no crime to be interested in Indian affairs, any objections highnesses?

:Off topic: I want to make a little comparison between Pak. and Indian vehicles.

Class 4 Wheel Pick-Up Truck, Pak
--------------------------------------

16143042.jpg

Pak and India are the same to most marketing executive's with minor variations.

Standard Indian Pick-Up
---------------------------

mahindra-bolero-pik-up-03.jpg

Upcoming Tata Pick-Up
--------------------------

tata_tuff_truck_concept_1_1-0823-450x240.jpg

Interesting because it's sooo Toyota, hopefully it comes with an Made-in-India price.

Class Car, Pak.
-----------------

12227090.jpg

Tata Indigo
---------------

hire_tata_indigo.jpg

, Honda/Suzuki bikes- Hero/TVS/Bajaj, and Daewoo/Hino trucks Vs. Tata Daewoo (Pak buys Daewoo trucks, India Tata buys the whole Co., the Daewoo truck biz), Ashok Leyland Hino amd later they bought the entire Co., this time Iveco truck biz. of Italy.

Suzuki motors MAruti, Mehran or whatever else they name them now, owns the small car market in both Indo-Pak.

Same difference.

You're right bro and from what I've heard the growth isn't going to level out until 2040-50 and by then the population of India will be 1.71+ billion. Here's hoping the in the next 3 decades education in India is sorted out so that much of this 1.71 billion population is educated and has decent job prospects otherwise India is sitting on a real time bomb.

Right. 10+% growth for the next 10 years will solve almost all problems related to poverty. Why I see this as less likely right now is that somehow the government is so damn reluctant to push through some critical economic reforms? Why? I have been wondering about this for a long time and have not had a clear answer. For example, it is almost so easy to take care of the food shortage in one big sweep!. All we need to do is to fix the go-downs and modernize the distribution system and the 60% of the food grains that rot away today will stop, food prices will come down and farmers and everyone will be happy. This should have done 20 years ago but it is still the way it is :(. Either the government is incapable of doing it or it is not in their best interest. Either way it needs to go if that is the case. Apathy in anything is to me, most sickening!

^^

Gujju, Abingdonboy ... sorry, I am not a matrubhoomi, I was born in Canada of parents born in the UK. My first language is English, 2'd French and 3'rd ... None of us are Asian, I am hardly Indian then, n'est pas ;) .

But just because I had some chicken tandoori masala for lunch today makes me Indian per you, then you probably have a lot of matrubhoomi Indians on your hands.

Last time I checked it was no crime to be interested in Indian affairs, any objections highnesses?

No objections :). Even if I had, I will shut up about it because it is peoples' right. What I am doing is disagreeing with your point of view. Nothing more, nothing less.

Addendum: I also disagree with then view that India will totally fail and everything will go kaput. This is also an extreme view held by most Pak1s who have wet dreams about the destruction of India.

The truth, as always, lies somewhere in between. It always will be until observed otherwise. In case of India this is especially true.

Tata Pixel to be ready by 2014. Based on the Nano platform, Pixel measures under-three meters and can accommodate four adults. When Pixel goes to the production stage, it is going to be the first four-seater for such a small footprint and also the passenger car with the smallest turning radius - almost zero radius. Pixel also features a rear-mounted engine which will be a 1.2 litre three cylinder turbo-charged diesel. The engine is a low-friction design, featuring variable coolant and oil pump and rapid warm-up technologies. With optimized aerodynamic drag, low rolling-resistance tyres, stop-start technology, and intelligent battery charging, the Tata Pixel returns European combined cycle (NEDC) fuel economy of 3.4 l/100km and CO2 emissions of just 89g/km.
Expected Price Rs. 2,25,000 - Rs. 2,50,000

This would be an ideal replacement for the Italian inspired 3-wheeler autorickshaws made by Bajaj and others.
1.jpg

7.jpg

3.jpg

tata-pixel-drivers-side-view-door-open-037.jpg

BMW to assemble Mini cars in India
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22184453
BMW is to begin building the Mini in India, in a move that suggests confidence in the country's emerging car market.

The German carmaker said Mini Countryman models would be rolling off the production line at its plant in the port city of Chennai later this year.

It described India as an "increasingly significant market" for the BMW Group,

Car sales in India have grown rapidly in recent years, attracting investment from major brands.

BMW has operated its own sales company in India since 2007, and began selling the Mini in the country in 2012.

It sold just over 300 Minis in the first year.

Savings on tariffs
BMW said the decision to move production there was in line with its "production follows the market" strategy.

Analysts suggest the move will help BMW save on import duties.

Continue reading the main story
Mini's strategy

The Mini factory in Cowley will remain at the heart of the carmaker's operations
BMW Group is increasingly making cars close to where its customers are
The Indian market is central to Mini's growth strategy
100 years of carmaking in Oxford
India charges 100% tariffs on the import of fully built cars, but just 30% on cars assembled domestically from imported parts.

Currently, the Mini is built in the UK and Austria, while BMW's Chennai plant already makes several BMW models for the Indian market.

Weaker market
Mini's move suggests growing confidence in the Indian market, where car ownership is just 1.5 cars per 100 people in one of the world's fastest growing economies.

But although sales have risen strongly in recent years, the latest figures suggest the market is experiencing a sharp slow-down.

Figures released last week by the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers showed sales fell by 6.7% over the last 12 months - the first fall in a decade.

That has forced some domestic brands to cut production and showroom prices.
_67059690_67059689.jpg

Here is what the next big Pulsar will look like
ImageResizerWM.ashx

very nicer,how much $ for each square meters?

I am not sure but I reckon it would be around $1k, so you would pay around half a million for a 1500 square feet apartment.

Back
Top Bottom