What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

it means you are posting a very old article with little use.

No I was answering a post by By78 saying that Metro Rail coaches are Imported. I posted an article contains the picture of Modi inaugurating Metro Rail coach.

By the way you know how to post pictures?

No I was answering a post by By78 saying that Metro Rail coaches are Imported. I posted an article contains the picture of Modi inaugurating Metro Rail coach.

By the way you know how to post pictures?

use the image button. or use the exact picture URL and put it between

Could you provide some information on domestically manufactured metro coaches?

Bharat Earth Movers Ltd.(BEML) a purely Indian company manufacture metro coaches in India. This BEML coaches of Bangalore Metro.

BL26_P2_BEML_733501f.jpg

Bharat Earth Movers Ltd.(BEML) a purely Indian company manufacture metro coaches in India. This BEML coaches of Bangalore Metro.

BL26_P2_BEML_733501f.jpg

Nice!

Why didn't the Indian government demand that private firms source only from domestic factories as a pre-condition for winning the contract?

Nice!

Why didn't the Indian government demand that private firms source only from domestic factories as a pre-condition for winning the contract?

Why to Japanese & Western companies build infrastructure in China, when China can do it too.

Why to Japanese & Western companies build infrastructure in China, when China can do it too.

I'm only aware of Western financing for certain infrastructure projects in China. Not sure what Western/Japanese infrastructure companies you are talking about. Could you provide some examples of these companies building infrastructure in China?

Let me add a further question: why didn't the Indian government demand that private firms source only from domestic factories as a pre-condition for winning the contract?

As for this Chinese company, it seems ok to me. It supplies rolling stock to the British Grand Central Railway. Of course, the rolling stock here is of diesel type, but still, I don't think British standards for rail equipment are lower than that of India.

And Indian railway owned firm,integrel coach factory did produce rolling stock for Kolkata metro in 1980s,BEML rolling stocks are used in Delhi , Banglore and Jaipur ( undel trials ) metro systems.

And Indian railway owned firm,integrel coach factory did produce rolling stock for Kolkata metro in 1980s,BEML rolling stocks are used in Delhi , Banglore and Jaipur ( undel trials ) metro systems.

Sourcing locally should always be a priority, unless local manufacturers are not capable of producing coaches up to the standards required. I see no evidence that is the case.

Of course, as mentioned by another member, Reliance received financing from Chinese banks for this project. If true, then maybe Reliance didn't have a choice. Still, I think the Indian government should have demanded local products regardless.

"How did you come to this conclusion? How is the Hyd metro special in any way? Pray tell ."

^^

Hyderabad metro is being built by L&T in PPP mode.

If one reads between the lines, PPP is what the govt. calls old school Thatcherism, or simply put - Privatisation.

Further, India knows trains and rails. IR has built an eco-system of schools, institutes, research and design and factories.

India's huge goods train system, most passenger trains and the majority of related systems like loco engines are Indian made, much with foreign collaboration. India has no problem learning and collaborating with Global majors so it follows that over the past 3-5 decades they have built up a metro rail knowledge base, contractor, HR databses and related eco-systems like design and training colleges.

So not only does Hyderabad historically have high standards by itself, it's 'private' metro is being built by India's top 10 reputable construction house L&T. L&T will naturally leverage Global and local resources together to maximise optimality.

I just hope L&T puts in 2double entry/exit, side open exit and platforms. Simple enough. All public train and metro systems in India should be retrofitted with double entry/exit platforms, escalators and travelators for the long platforms.

Therefore I think it will be among the best.

---xxx---

" Why didn't the Indian government demand that private firms source only from domestic factories as a pre-condition for winning the contract?"

^^

Governance issues (read corruption).

If nobody cares, then the minister and his top honchos, consultants, Co.'s and contractors rather pocket a 10 % commission for the deal. Why block a juicy deal like that then? This is obviously speculation ... but if one connects the dots then Asian business or politics has hardly been the paragon of public service.

Back
Top Bottom