What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

India trains are real ok, given the rest of the infrastructure.
The Indian rail system is a universe of it's own, and I believe; a fundamendtal 'fabric' that weaves India together.
I experienced that Indians let their guard down only on the trains.

The comforts, joy and adventure of rail travel in India connects one with the diversity of India at such a roots level and is phenominally under-rated. One time I went from Ottawa-Montreal-Toronto-Vancouver-Hong Kong-Singapore-Dhaka-Kathmandu-New Delhi and from the New Delhi railway station, took a 'local' train to Delhi Cantonment. This would have been my final stop. Guess what?

I was caught travelling without ticket ;) . The ticket master showed up and dinged me for a few dollars worth of Rupees for travelling without ticket :pakistan: , I looked at the guy and thought hell, you win buddy.

As a westerner, I was a bit over-whelmed at the giant scale of the system, the lenght of the individual trains, as well as the size of each cabin besides the fact that somehow, it all worked.

I hear India has upgraded the system since my visits and India rail travels over the past 20 yrs.

Many moons ago I travelled to Rajasthan on a train. Re: my Maa's advice, I took the hi-fi 'Volvo' bus back. Horror of horrors. Have done Mumbai-Delhi, Delhi-Gorakhpur, Delhi-Shimla, Delhi-Kathgodam :) . The Palace-On-Wheels is on my 'To-Do' list, as is the Konkan Rail and Kashmir Rail. Memorable journeys.

"Great growing in India......Tell me how to get rid of overcrowded problems in order to make some spaces?"

---xxx-------

"Just do what China does, Stop all the immigrants coming from rural areas. Simple.

But in democracies like India and Pakistan, no simple answers my friend. "

^^^^^^^^^^

Give it time!

India is trying to off-load it's population to it's empty quarter between Delhi-Mumbai by doing the $ 100 Billion Delhi-Bombay industrial corridor with lots of new cities, factories and infrastructure. Given it can always be hijacked by the media as another hackneyed 'real-estate' scam, it has already built up 'anti-media-rhetorical' sentiment with farmers and other land holding stakeholders jumping up-and-down all over the media proclaining that the corridor is the best thing to happen to them re: booming land valuations. It helps that the area is largely semi-arid and business, industry and commerce friendly. India's famed industrialist communities, the Marwaris, Jains and Gujaratis underpinned by Delhi and it's enterpreneurial ex Pakistan Punjabi community on one side and Bombay and it's boom-boom Parsi, Sindhi, Ismaili, Bohra and ex Pakistan Punjabi communites on the other side means that this Japan funded corridor is pehnomenal work-under-progress.

It should relieve quite a bit of population pressure from the hinterlands (read eastern UP, Bihar) even though things are looking up there as well because the locals of the area have a head start and are more likely to go into business themselves and hire outsiders as employees, labour, factory and farm hands.

Whole skyscrapercity thread dedicated on it, check :

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=627885&page=22

Great growing in India......Tell me how to get rid of overcrowded problems in order to make some spaces?

By reducing the gap between developed and under-developed states. Partly this could be resolved with a dramatic reduction in migration however its something which should happen by developing the under-developed states and by providing an amicable environment for growth, which I guess is happening slowly and gradually. Take Bihar for example, earlier mumbai used to be the favorite destination for employment opportunities and almost every Bihari family had their son or daughter based out of Mumbai to earn their daily bread especially the construction workers and semi skilled labourers. But with advent of some great leaders such as Nitish Kumar this picture is fast changing. Now a Bihari is no more associated to a migrant labour and the image of corrupt bihar is undergoing sea change. Such changes would mean the level of influx to Mumbai would gradually decrease over the period of time and eventually bringing down the density of population. Probably every under developed state should see Bihar as an example and follow the suit which Nitish has adopted in Bihar.

Jai Hind !!

New Chennai Airport , almost ready :cheers:

7101018321_5a071c7bcf_b.jpg

7090503593_ea8e1a57aa_b.jpg

7127031269_0f376679ee_b.jpg

6726522927_d7eb80744c_b.jpg

img0373uv.jpg

6717508561_089a38d549_b.jpg

Hotel Cluster coming up near New Delhi Airport, part of Delhi Aerocity :coffee:

aerocitymap1.jpg

Golden Quadrilateral is a network of highways connecting India's four top metropolitan cities, namely Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata, thereby, forming a quadrilateral.
The overall length of the quadrilateral is 5,846km consisting of four / six lane express highways. The project was estimated to cost INR600bn ($13.2bn) but was completed at about half of the estimated costs, at INR308.58bn. The whole length of the quadrilateral was operational by January 2012.

1000px-Golden_Quadrilateral.svg.png

indiaquad.jpg

04-jaipur-kishangarh-nh8.jpg

rohitpatwardhansd5.jpg

800px-10.jpg

delhi.jpg

The Chenani-Nashri Tunnel (or Patnitop Tunnel) in Udhampur, in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, will be the longest road tunnel project in the country when opened for traffic in 2016.
The 9km long Patnitop tunnel, being built at the foot of the Himalayan mountains, will connect the districts of Chenani and Nashri.The project involves construction of a single-tube, two lane main tunnel of 13.3m diameter along with a 5m diameter escape tunnel running parallel to it.

ba9e52d99ad04c70824ec5b.png

blast3__huge.jpg

north_portal_-_portal_area_60__huge.jpg

1-tunnel.jpg

2-pipe.jpg

4-south.jpg

5-construction.jpg

P.S - Don't confuse it with the Pir Panjal Railway Tunnel.

The Chenani-Nashri Tunnel (or Patnitop Tunnel) in Udhampur, in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, will be the longest road tunnel project in the country when opened for traffic in 2016.
The 9km long Patnitop tunnel, being built at the foot of the Himalayan mountains, will connect the districts of Chenani and Nashri.The project involves construction of a single-tube, two lane main tunnel of 13.3m diameter along with a 5m diameter escape tunnel running parallel to it.

blast3__huge.jpg

north_portal_-_portal_area_60__huge.jpg

1-tunnel.jpg

2-pipe.jpg

4-south.jpg

5-construction.jpg

P.S - Don't confuse it with the Pir Panjal Railway Tunnel.

9 km of tunnel. Amazing.
How the two ends meet ha ha ha?

9 km of tunnel. Amazing.
How the two ends meet ha ha ha?
It's done by Leighton (Thiess,John Holland) ;)

The Rohtang Tunnel is a route that will connect the Lahaul-Spiti valley to the tourist town of Manali in the northern state of Himachal Pradesh, India.
The 8.8 km long, horse shoe shaped tunnel will be 10 m wide. This provides space for a two-lane, 8 m wide carriageway as well as a 1m wide footpath on both sides. Beneath the main carriageway a 2.25 m high and 3.6 m wide emergency tunnel will be integrated in the tunnel cross-section. Altogether, more than 800,000 m³ of rock will be moved. It is expected to be completed by 2015.

Cover-(IV).jpg

e28db056a7e348a7bc0494e.png

1.jpg

rohtang-pass.jpg

ROHTANG+1-733477.jpg

P.S - Hopefully the work on the 6.5 kilometre Z-Morh tunnel will start this September followed by the 13 km-Zojila tunnel :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom