What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

Electric locomotive holding
View attachment 310985

Diesel Locomotive Holding (data updated upto June 2016)

View attachment 310984

Future Targets

View attachment 310988

Current Railway electrification Status
View attachment 310987

View attachment 310986

Target upto 2020

View attachment 310990

View attachment 310991

@Abingdonboy
Sir as we can see in the map that almost all of Rajasthan and most importantly the rail routes of western Rajasthan is far from being electrified in the near future. What problems do you think persists in the process of electrification of the route if in case of a deserty area say of Jaisalmer or Bikaner? We have electric locos at Kota - Sawai Madhopur but after that its all diesel locos from Jaipur till the last station of Munabao near India-Pakistan Border?

What problems do you think persists in the process of electrification of the route if in case of a deserty area say of Jaisalmer or Bikaner?
Traction electrification depends on Traffic generating in the area and correspondingly return on investment. The guiding criteria for RE is as follows:
upload_2016-6-18_9-34-22.png

Some of the identified routes due for RE are as follows:
upload_2016-6-18_9-35-14.png

You can notice (serial no. 4) the second route from Ahmadabad to Delhi, which covers a large part of Rajasthan is now ready for electrification. Infact the work has started from both North of Ahamdabad and South of Delhi. A month back i saw OHE masts under erection near Gandhidham, so maybe within 2 years, the route should be ready to host electric locomotives.
jp.jpg

Since you mentioned, the Rajasthan route, here is what Railway thinks:
upload_2016-6-18_9-39-47.png
upload_2016-6-18_9-40-2.png

Source : IR electrification Vision 2020 document (@elocos)
Jaipur, i believe is last big state capital, not to have electrified rail connection, but things are due for change shortly.

no mention of those 12,000 HP Prima-II?
Madhepura factory will be manufacturing those locos. The table i've posted is already looking outdated. BHEL was supposed to supply 5000 HP (WAG 7 class) in future, but i'm getting a news that, IR is not interested in Tap changing locomotives anymore and therefore will only be procuring 3 phase IGBT locos from BHEL too. So we may get to see WAG 9 manufactured at BHEL Jhansi in coming years. A huge number of WAG 5 are slated for retirement in next 5 years and therefore we will require not only new capacity addition but also replacement for retirements.

what is Gujarat playing at? Only 17% electrified in Modi's "developed" state? Himachal Pradesh at 5% is just embarrassing.
Gujarat has several small ports and with new maritime and ports policy, government is encouraging development of smaller ports to reduce load on main ports. On western coastline of our country, you'll notice that the Konkan coast is actually walled by Western ghats and therefore moving freight to & from hinterland to Ports like Vasco-da-Gama etc requires crossing steep gradients, limiting train capacity utilization.
Gujarat maybe a small state, but its is relatively plain and has long coastline. If the ports in state are developed properly, movement of cargo from & to North will become easier as Mumbai Port (JNPT) is highly saturated, leading to longer waiting period. Here comes rail lines that join smaller ports to mainline.
Western DFC envisages several feeder lines that connect these ports to mainline and government is also asking private players to come forward for investing in these feeder lines through PPP mode. The reults have started to show
upload_2016-6-18_9-53-39.png

upload_2016-6-18_9-54-12.png

India’s first railway-line built under PPP model inaugurated in Gujarat
Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhu on 14 July 2015 inaugurated the broad-gauge railway-line between Gandhidham and Tuna-Tekra Port in Gujarat by flagging off a goods train.

The rail line is India’s first railway-line built with private sector participation under Non-Government Railway (NGR) Policy 2012 of Indian Railways.

The rail line has been built at a cost of approx 185 crore rupees for M/s Kandla Port Trust (KPT) to bring about better and faster rail connectivity to Port of Tuna & Tekra.

The rail-line between Gandhidham, a town in Kutch district of Gujarat, and Tuna-Tekra Port, a port 20-km west of Kandla in Gulf of Kutch, was funded by M/s Kandla Port Trust (KPT) and Western Railway Zone of Indian Railways coordinated and pioneered it.

The project, approved by the Railway Board in October 2013, was completed in a record time of 12 months in May 2015 and was executed in two parts. The first part, viz., 11-km Gandhidham- Tuna Rail line was executed by Western Railway Zone as deposite work while the second part, viz., 6-km Tuna-Tekra line was executed by M/s Kandla Port Trust.

The major traffic on this line will be coal and fertilizer with an expected commodity traffic of average 4 rakes daily resulting in an approximate revenue of 500 crore rupees for Indian Railways.

Railways is finding tough to finance several of its line, but with new policy in place and more interest from private players, i'm sure railways will start winning over freight traffic in next five years.

Last edited:
Railways is finding tough to finance several of its line, but with new policy in place and more interest from private players, i'm sure railways will start winning over freight traffic in next five years

I think one of the biggest problem Railway facing is productivity..... How to utilize the busy corridors better.......It is high time that they start working on improving the signaling system to improve the productivity or better usage..... Current gap between trains are very high when you compare that of a metro or suburban trains....

any idea how much KM of railway is being added every year to the IR network?
I'm afraid this data is very dismal
upload_2016-6-18_10-12-46.png

You can see that from 2000-1, when our economy started moving at a faster rate, railways too started to focus on its line capacity, but the increase in BG lines is about same as decrease in MG length, indicating that most new line projects were gauge conversion.
New Green field lines are still moving slowly.
upload_2016-6-18_10-43-34.png

upload_2016-6-18_10-46-8.png

How to utilize the busy corridors better
yes thats the key question on how to maximize existing capacity (in railway terms throughput).
while steady progress has been made in increasing line capacity, but augmentation of existing tracks is required by increasing axle loads so that a single train carries more weight. Also higher capacity locomotives (higher HP) with faster speeds would help in clearing trains quickly, thereby improving load movement values achieved thus far.
upload_2016-6-18_10-17-56.png

View attachment 311314
Indian Railways International Co-operation
upload_2016-6-18_10-39-16.png

upload_2016-6-18_10-39-38.png

upload_2016-6-18_10-39-55.png
upload_2016-6-18_10-40-13.png

Last edited:
Traction electrification depends on Traffic generating in the area and correspondingly return on investment. The guiding criteria for RE is as follows:
View attachment 311300

Some of the identified routes due for RE are as follows:
View attachment 311301

You can notice (serial no. 4) the second route from Ahmadabad to Delhi, which covers a large part of Rajasthan is now ready for electrification. Infact the work has started from both North of Ahamdabad and South of Delhi. A month back i saw OHE masts under erection near Gandhidham, so maybe within 2 years, the route should be ready to host electric locomotives.
View attachment 311299
Since you mentioned, the Rajasthan route, here is what Railway thinks:
View attachment 311302View attachment 311303

Source : IR electrification Vision 2020 document (@elocos)
Jaipur, i believe is last big state capital, not to have electrified rail connection, but things are due for change shortly.

Madhepura factory will be manufacturing those locos. The table i've posted is already looking outdated. BHEL was supposed to supply 5000 HP (WAG 7 class) in future, but i'm getting a news that, IR is not interested in Tap changing locomotives anymore and therefore will only be procuring 3 phase IGBT locos from BHEL too. So we may get to see WAG 9 manufactured at BHEL Jhansi in coming years. A huge number of WAG 5 are slated for retirement in next 5 years and therefore we will require not only new capacity addition but also replacement for retirements.

Gujarat has several small ports and with new maritime and ports policy, government is encouraging development of smaller ports to reduce load on main ports. On western coastline of our country, you'll notice that the Konkan coast is actually walled by Western ghats and therefore moving freight to & from hinterland to Ports like Vasco-da-Gama etc requires crossing steep gradients, limiting train capacity utilization.
Gujarat maybe a small state, but its is relatively plain and has long coastline. If the ports in state are developed properly, movement of cargo from & to North will become easier as Mumbai Port (JNPT) is highly saturated, leading to longer waiting period. Here comes rail lines that join smaller ports to mainline.
Western DFC envisages several feeder lines that connect these ports to mainline and government is also asking private players to come forward for investing in these feeder lines through PPP mode. The reults have started to show
View attachment 311304

View attachment 311305

India’s first railway-line built under PPP model inaugurated in Gujarat

Railways is finding tough to finance several of its line, but with new policy in place and more interest from private players, i'm sure railways will start winning over freight traffic in next five years.
Glad to see that phulera-jaipur, alwar routes are up for electrification in th coming years. The North-Western Railways do have very less traffic as compared to the Northern Railways.
That is why the stations here are fairly clean all the time.
Have you visited this thread lately.:D
https://defence.pk/threads/railways-stations-in-india.426808/

yes thats the key question on how to maximize existing capacity (in railway terms throughput).
while steady progress has been made in increasing line capacity, but augmentation of existing tracks is required by increasing axle loads so that a single train carries more weight. Also higher capacity locomotives (higher HP) with faster speeds would help in clearing trains quickly, thereby improving load movement values achieved thus far.

I thought adopting the signal system of suburban trains is one important aspect...... Currently the time between the trains are higher, and adopting above mechanism can reduce the time difference between the trains and thus increasing the productivity, (both in freight and passenger trains)

I guess upgrade of engines are happening on a steady phase, slowly and steadily old engines are replaced.......

Speed is one aspect which i think railway is under utilized to a great extent...... But then safety comes first....

I thought adopting the signal system of suburban trains is one important aspect...... Currently the time between the trains are higher, and adopting above mechanism can reduce the time difference between the trains and thus increasing the productivity, (both in freight and passenger trains)

I guess upgrade of engines are happening on a steady phase, slowly and steadily old engines are replaced.......

Speed is one aspect which i think railway is under utilized to a great extent...... But then safety comes first....
TPWS too is being adopted which is likely to improve safety while increasing speed.

Anti Collection??:undecided:
Anti Collision Device (ACD).
th28_KONKAN_col_eps_642467f.jpg

Anti Collision Device (ACD)

• Anti Collision Device (ACD) is a fully integrated Electronic Control System designed to minimize collisions and increase safety on Railway system.
  • It is a non signaling system and provides additional cover of safety in train operations to prevent dangerous train collisions caused due to human errors or limitations and equipment failure.
  • ACD system does not interfere with normal working of train operations.
  • Being the non-signaling and inter locking system it does not replace any existing signaling and interlocking system and does not alter any procedures of train operations in vogue.
  • Network of Anti -Collision Devices (ACDs) are provided comprising of a variety of devices such as onboard (Mobile) ACDs for Locomotives and Guard vans and track-side (Stationery) ACDs, Level Crossing ACDs, Loco Shed ACDs, Sensor based ACOs and ACO Repeaters. All these work on the principle of distributed control systems.
  • All ACDs along the ACDroute communicate with each other through radio communication when they are within a radial range of at least 3 kms. On board computers use inputs from Global Positioning System (GPS) for determination of train location, speed, course of travel and time.
  • Both mobile and stationary components of ACO system exchange information and take decisions based on train working rules and embedded software to apply brakes automatically without any input from the users.
  • If two ACOs are deemed to be at a risk of collision, the ACD system activates automatic braking operation to prevent collisions. Loco ACO is designed to interface with various types of braking system of locomotives.
  • System provides audio-visual "Train Approach" warning to road users at level crossings. At Manned LC Gates, when approaching Loco ACD detects "Gate Open" condition, the speed of the train/loco is reduced and kept under a pre-defined speed. Similarly, it can also provide warning and regulate speed in case of movements of land slopes in deep cuttings that are "sensed" through Inclinometer grids, embedded in such slopes.
  • More than 2,000 Anti Collision Devices have already been installed over 2,700 Route Kms of track on Indian Railway system out of which about 1900 Route Kms are on North east Frontier Railway and balance are on Konkan Railway. Further proliferation of this safety device on the balance BG network of Indian Railways is being planned.

I request the members to stop making it a railway thread, we have a separate thread for that.
Don't ruin this thread with your new found source of information (stop showing off!)

Please continue with the pics of development, for which this thread is popular.

I request the members to stop making it a railway thread, we have a separate thread for that.
Don't ruin this thread with your new found source of information (stop showing off!)

Please continue with the pics of development, for which this thread is popular.
The railways are central to india's development and thus I believe it is more than appropriate to discuss developments of the IR here.

@anant_s does the IR use automated/mechanised ballast cleaning machines?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom