What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

True. India states and center no matter which party they are from are ready to cooperate when it comes to these industrial corridors. Finally India is uniting for growth.

India has a history of establishing new cities. Navi Mumbai, jamshedpur, Gurgaon, Noida are all cities built from scratch. But these cities are not world class as they were built without foreign consultants and planning. Now the cities under DMIC and other corridors are being built under plans made by the top notch consultants from all over the world. Only the best plan is executed. Good to see this proactive attitude from GoI. Moreover involvement of Japnese, Korean, European companies will help India gain valueable experience in this field.

This man can now break or make India.
amitabh_kant_20090622.jpg
Agreed although Navi Mumbai, Girgeon and the like will surely grow into world-class cities I have no doubt.

And yes the groundbreaking work these projects are doing will ease the way for similar large scale work In the future and the capacity that will be built will give uncountable benifts for Indian growth in the future.

Well off course I don't know anything about this. But what are you saying? That many of them are out of service? If that's the case I don't think we've seen any replacements for them as general purpose tenders anywhere in India to date.

All I'm saying is that I've hardly ever seen any of the old TATA/Leyland fire engines out on the streets in the last few years. Now I'm not sure if that that means that they've been retired from service (which I highly doubt) or if it's just my luck. :D

Oh and I'll definitely keep an eye out for the new Prima based fire engines. :cheers:

AHMEDABAD: Amdavadi dreams of cruising all the way to Mumbai in less than two hours have hit the fast track with both the French and the Japanese governments fiercely competing for the bullet train project.

The French national railway SNCF is already working with the Indian Railways on the techno-feasibility report for the 630-km project between Ahmedabad and Pune via Mumbai. The report is likely to be submitted to the Railway Board in mid-June.

At the same time in Tokyo, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe issued a joint statement about conducting another bullet train feasibility study on the same stretch. "The two Prime Ministers decided that the two sides will co-finance a joint feasibility study of high speed railway system on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad route," the statement said. Singh even appreciated Japan's high level of expertise in designing and implementing Shinkansen (bullet train) systems.

The Rs 60,000-crore project will be executed along the existing railway track and will be funded jointly by Gujarat and Maharashtra governments on a public-private partnership model. Currently, trains cover the 490 km between Ahmedabad and Mumbai in about seven hours but the bullet trains are expected to travel at 350 km per hour, and cover the distance one hour and 50 minutes. The railway is targeting high-end users.

The French proposal will have stoppages at Vadodara, Bharuch, Surat, Mumbai, Lonavala and Pune. It will have 16 cars with a target of 32 round trips. "The fares will be about 70% of air travel cost," he said. "A lot of air traffic may divert here. Though air travel time between Ahmedabad and Mumbai is less than an hour, security checks take a lot of time," says a railways official. Railway officials said the work is to start by November on Delhi-Chandigarh and Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Pune.

France, Japan vie to put bullet train to Mumbai in fast lane - Times Of India

With India joining the select group of billion plus club in freight movement, the focus has once again shifted on the prestigious Dedicated Freight Corridor (DFC). The project will enhance the freight carrying capacity of railways by manifold leading to incremental gains, apart from freeing the existing lines on congestion. RK Gupta, Managing Director of Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India speaks to Pratul Sharma on the progress made by the project.

How is the project going on. New projects being awarded and deadlines for completing these projects?

We will be finalising the contract for 640 km long Rewari (Haryana) to Palanpur (Gujarat) line worth `6,700 crore by the month-end. This will make a significant forward movement in the execution of the DFC and will set us on the course to complete the major infrastructure project by 2017.

Two consortiums -- Sojits Corporation with L&T and Mitsui, Ircon and Leighton -- are in the fray to bag this contract.

Work has already started on the phase I Khurja-Kanpur line in the Eastern Corridor. It will be completed by March 2017.

The 66-km of Mughal Sarai to Sonngarh (120 km) executed by the Indian Railways is likely to be opened for traffic by March next year.

The project cost of Eastern and Western DFC project is currently estimated at `95,836 crore, including cost of land. Western DFC (1,499 km) is funded by loan from Japan International Cooperation Agency. While part of Eastern DFC, 1,183 km of Ludhiana-Khurja-Dadri-Kanpur-Mughalsarai section is funded by World Bank.

Land acquisition is one of the most contentious issues in the country, for which many projects are being held up. Please tell us about the progress?

We have awarded projects on which 100 per cent land has been acquired. The DFC project requires acquiring land in nine States, covering 2,500 villages which would have affected one lakh people. Till now we have acquired 82 per cent of the land required, which comes to 8,657 hectares out of total 10,666 hectares. Rest of the work is on track, though there are certain pockets of opposition in a few villages in Gujarat where people have gone for litigation. Land acquisition has been the smoothest for this project. Of the total Rs 4,863 crore awarded, Rs 3,200 crore has already been sanctioned.

This comes to Rs 7 crore every day. The proposed bill planned by the Centre will not apply to us, as we are acquiring land under the Railways Act 2008. Each state has a separate committee headed by chief secretary which monitors the process.

Railways want to increase its share of freight loading, how will DFC help?

The DFC will not only decongest the existing lines, which will in turn help in increasing the speed of passenger trains, it will lead to other benefits. The DFC though run almost parallel with the existing lines but will not be used for moving passengers. Its aim is to provide multi-modal system for moving goods.

A separate body is already involved in building industrial corridor along the Western corridor. The Uttar Pradesh government wants to develop urban zone in the state. The Urban Development Ministry is looking after this aspect.

Over 200 locomotives with 9,000 horse power (HP) are being bought from Japan that will run on DFC. The carrying capacity of rakes will increase from the current 300 tonnes to over 12,000 tonnes. Even the length of the train will increase to 1500 meters.

Dedicated freight corridor set to enhance freight carrying capacity of railways manifold - The New Indian Express

:cheesy::cheesy::tup:

Back
Top Bottom