What's new

India creating ‘anti-Pakistan’ Afghanistan: Musharraf

Aeon

Reaction score
India creating ‘anti-Pakistan’ Afghanistan: Musharraf | World | DAWN.com
Tuesday 9th November 2010
NEW YORK: Pakistan’s former leader Pervez Musharraf said Tuesday that India was trying to create a hostile state in Afghanistan as he hit back at criticism of his country’s role in fighting extremists.

Musharraf, who is touring the United States as part of a comeback bid, said he has seen photographs of Kabul-based “Pakistan terrorists”, a likely reference to Baluchistan separatists, meeting in India with intelligence agents.

“If I’m allowed to be very, very frank, India’s role in Afghanistan is to create an anti-Pakistan Afghanistan,” Musharraf, a military ruler who stepped down in 2008, said at the Council on Foreign Relations.

“This is very clear to me. There are consulates in Kandahar and Jalalabad (which) are actually involved in creating trouble in Pakistan. They have no other role,” Musharraf said.

“Why wouldn’t the consulates be somewhere in the north facing Uzbekistan and Tajikistan?” he asked.

India has consulates in the southern cities of Kandahar and Jalalabad, but also in Mazar-i-Sharif in the north and Herat in the west. The Indian embassy in Kabul was targetted in an attack last year claimed by Taliban militants.

Pakistan has long voiced concern about India’s role in Afghanistan. US officials have given little credence to the assertions, with President Barack Obama in a speech Monday to the Indian parliament praising New Delhi’s assistance to the war-torn country.

India, not a traditional donor, has committed 1.3 billion dollars to Afghanistan since the fall of the Taliban regime and is building roads, power lines and a new parliament building.

Pakistan had been the chief supporter of the Taliban but Musharraf switched sides after the September 11, 2001 attacks and assisted US forces that overthrew the hardline regime.

Musharraf bristled at criticism that Taliban and Al-Qaeda leaders, including perhaps Osama bin Laden, have been able to escape US-led forces in Afghanistan by crossing into safe havens in Pakistan’s lawless border areas.

“Pakistan is trying its best. Why is the responsibility only on Pakistan?” Musharraf said. “Why is the responsibility of their coming into Pakistan not the fault of Afghan forces and US forces and coalition forces?” ”It should be shared at least 50-50, we are at fault, you are also at fault,” he said. -AFP

Last edited:
Pakistan and Afghanistan share an excellent relationship. How can an infidel country like India think about doing such a thing. All Pakistanis should sit comfortably as such a thing would never happen. Pakistanis are in the heart and soul of every Afghani and vice-versa.

Frankly, my personal opinion is that India really doesn't need to do much to create an "anti-Pakistan" Afghanistan. I used to assume that Pakistanis and Afghans would be very close and cordial, but that myth has been shattered when I viewed some Afghan Pashtun forums. The amount of dislike that Afghans have for Pakistanis is much greater than the dislike Indians have for Pakistan. Indians and Pakistanis can at least have a fruitful discussion based on some common interests, etc. - but a Pakistani visiting an Afghan forum is literally ripped apart to shreds within minutes.

The reasons for this are many, and very often the feeling is mutual, but my point is, India really does not need to put any effort into making an "anti-Pakistan Afghanistan" as Mushy puts it.

Pakistan and Afghanistan share an excellent relationship. How can an infidel country like India think about doing such a thing. All Pakistanis should sit comfortably as such a thing would never happen. Pakistanis are in the heart and soul of every Afghani and vice-versa.

Nope mate, you're wrong there. That is what I used to think, but I have realized the ground realities in the last few weeks. Refer to my post above.

anti-Pakistan thy never will be;>> who is going to buy popcorn from Pathan fellow!!

(no offense to anyone)

Last edited:
India's role in Afghanistan is to help rebuild Afghanistan and do it's part to heal the wounds of the Afghans. Afghanistan is of strategic importance to India, and India knows very well that Afghanistan is also Pakistan's backyard. We want to make friends with Afghanistan, but I'm not sure if creating anti-Pakistan sentiments is remotely possible for India, even if we assume that is what India wants.

There is enough anti-Pakistan sentiment in Afghanistan and India is made as popular choice of attack by Pakistan as usual for that. India's humanitarian efforts are recognized well all around the world including the Afghans themselves. India will continue to work with Afghanistan in future as well.

Let them cause the people of Afghanistan will alway end up needing Pakistan. Our economy is better and we're better off, if such a thing arises it will fall fairly quickly that you for the report Musharraf but you're still getting arrested if you set fut in the country.

Actually.. the Afghan's on the internet do have a deep hatred for pakistan..
First.. these people are usually Uzbek or hazari.. those that are not.. had to endure the medival times of the Taliban..who for all purposes and hype..were supported by the Pakistani establishment for the oft repeated strategic depth concept...Also, while the same amount of accusations regarding a negative effect of Afghanis on Pakistan could be hurled back.. Afghanis living comfortably in Pakistan during the Taliban longed for the time of soviets since they still had their fun.
And the poor afghan still had to live in refugee camps for over 25 years..
Long term refugee crises have that effect.

Actually.. the Afghan's on the internet do have a deep hatred for pakistan..
First.. these people are usually Uzbek or hazari.. those that are not.. had to endure the medival times of the Taliban..who for all purposes and hype..were supported by the Pakistani establishment for the oft repeated strategic depth concept...Also, while the same amount of accusations regarding a negative effect of Afghanis on Pakistan could be hurled back.. Afghanis living comfortably in Pakistan during the Taliban longed for the time of soviets since they still had their fun.
And the poor afghan still had to live in refugee camps for over 25 years..
Long term refugee crises have that effect.

I dont think so, what you see on the interent is overwhelmingly majority pashtoons of afghanistan who want NWFP or pashtoon pouplated area of pakistan detached for themselves, it is nothing but ethno nationalism. go to any pashtoon website or a mixed afghan website you will exactly see what i am saying. i can give you the tajik, pashtoon, and mixed afghan websites if you want, go and check and see who thinks what about pakistan. the only time the non pashtoons do complain about pakistan is their support to the taliban, apart from that i dont see a single issue why non pashtoons will be against pakistan? and trust me realities on the ground is not very different from the internet.

Musharraf, who is touring the United States as part of a comeback bid, said he has seen photographs of Kabul-based “Pakistan terrorists”, a likely reference to Baluchistan separatists, meeting in India with intelligence agents.

Photographs?????????? wow he should be telling a lie.... whatever meeting... it is has to be in a closed room... and as such anyone from a distance cannot take it... except when he has a wall penetrating camera.... show me the pics and yeah then i agree... or at least to the **** population...

Pakistan had been the chief supporter of the Taliban but Musharraf switched sides after the September 11, 2001 attacks and assisted US forces that overthrew the hardline regime.

there is some nice term for this.... guess it should go like volte blanche or something... dont know.. all for brothers in arms... ha

I dont think so, what you see on the interent is overwhelmingly majority pashtoons of afghanistan who want NWFP or pashtoon pouplated area of pakistan detached for themselves, it is nothing but ethno nationalism. go to any pashtoon website or a mixed afghan website you will exactly see what i am saying. i can give you the tajik, pashtoon, and mixed afghan websites if you want, go and check and see who thinks what about pakistan. the only time the non pashtoons do complain about pakistan is their support to the taliban, apart from that i dont see a single issue why non pashtoons will be against pakistan? and trust me realities on the ground is not very different from the internet.

Not from what I gathered in my last sojourn into FATA, and my friend who is currently working for the Afghan government..
According to him.. he himself being a Pushtoon..if there was ever a point where the areas of Kp were given to Afghanistan... there would be blood spilled all over.
I suppose the internet can be called the representative of the educated masses.. but does that apply to a people subjected to war and years of a despotic medieval regime.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom