What's new

India completes the nuclear triad, turning South Asia’s strategic equation on its head

@Oscar Sir, my knowledge of radioactive fallout is very limited, therefore this question. IF india were to attack Lahore for "X" reason, wouldn't the radioactive fallout effect New Delhi as well? Given their geographical proximity.

South Asia is not the focus of the sub. China's ability to take out everything but the Agni V and their subs make it important that India be able to project its first strike threat to Beijing... and others( those that can understand would agree that the planners of this move thought much much further ahead).
Agreed and this has been stated from day one by strategic planners, there really is little Pakistani angle to India's nuclear ambitions which themselves were born out of a percieved threat from China. The Agni V certainly wasn't developed with Pakistan in mind, neither is the sea-based deterent.

@Oscar Sir, my knowledge of radioactive fallout is very limited, therefore this question. IF india were to attack Lahore for "X" reason, wouldn't the radioactive fallout effect New Delhi as well? Given their geographical proximity.
There are too many variables involved to be sure but of course, India would always be on the receiving end of such a fallout as would we all. Post-Fukoshimoa every one of us in the world has had some form of contact with the pollutants, the degree to how much is what varies.

Agreed and this has been stated from day one by strategic planners, there really is little Pakistani angle to India's nuclear ambitions which themselves were born out of a percieved threat from China. The Agni V certainly wasn't developed with Pakistan in mind, neither is the sea-based deterent.

There are too many variables involved to be sure but of course, India would always be on the receiving end of such a fallout as would we all. Post-Fukoshimoa every one of us in the world has had some form of contact with the pollutants, the degree to how much is what varies.
Lets put it this way. When wee talk of nuclear.. there are no winners in the subcontinent. The US and Russians have vast open spaces and are thousands of miles away from each other.. heck they can even abort their warheads during midcourse and they have that time to do so. They have preserved pristine locations where life can still go on resettled and they have the mechanisms in place to ensure that; we dont.

Once the buttons are pressed in our case.. they are pressed and that is that.

Once the buttons are pressed in our case.. they are pressed and that is that.

A post-apocalyptic world ? :o:

Well I know that I'd still be taking all them ladies off you and you'd be sulking in the corner everytime I do ! :whistle:

Lets put it this way. When wee talk of nuclear.. there are no winners in the subcontinent. .
*world

Nuclear weapons are abhorrent creations that show us for the pathetic species we really.
If one buys the argument that they are actually "peace makers" then what does that say about us? We need the threat of extinction hanging over us just to not kill each other?

A post-apocalyptic world ? :o:

Well I know that I'd still be taking all them ladies off you and you'd be sulking in the corner everytime I do ! :whistle:
I have no interest in the hermaphrodites that will emerge due to radiation. :p:.. you can take them all.

*world

Nuclear weapons are abhorrent creations that show us for the pathetic species we really.
If one buys the argument that they are actually "peace makers" then what does that say about us? We need the threat of extinction hanging over us just to not kill each other?
Actually we do. Religions of old talk of our utter annihilation where we will be held accountable for our sins, cant we be excused to think that the same approach will work for us when dealing with each other?

I have no interest in the hermaphrodites that will emerge due to radiation. :p:.. you can take them all.

Phir koi hamariii Bhabi wagheraa hain ya phir tu nei kanwaraan hii mar janaa haiii ? :unsure:

Actually we do. Religions of old talk of our utter annihilation where we will be held accountable for our sins, cant we be excused to think that the same approach will work for us when dealing with each other?
I understand the logic but it is still a deeply depressing reflection of ourselves and we somehow think we are "enlightened" and worthy of moving beyond our world. If there is intelligent life out there, I can understand why they are leaving us alone (a potential solution to the Fermi paradox).

I understand the logic but it is still a deeply depressing reflection of ourselves and we somehow think we are "enlightened" and worthy of moving beyond our world. If there is intelligent life out there, I can understand why they are leaving us alone (a potential solution to the Fermi paradox).

Yaaar bhai ko tu nei eik daffaaa bhiiii Fish and Chips nahin khelaiii when I came to London ! :(

India acquiring triad or thermonuclear weapons will not change the equilibrium in South Asia. India investing so much in military is primarily for power projection.

Yaaar bhai ko tu nei eik daffaaa bhiiii Fish and Chips nahin khelaiii when I came to London ! :(
Next time my friend, it's been a long time since I have had some good Fish and Chips, we can try and find the best London has to offer ;)

These days Americans writing lot of good goody things about India.

These days Americans writing lot of good goody things about India.
It depends on the source- if they are liberal media they are as scathing as ever, on the other hand the strategic think tanks are DESPERATE to get India as their poodle to act as their proxy agaisnt China. I don't know which side is more despicable.

Depends on a lot of factors.
Size of the warhead, wind conditions, etc.

In a majority of the cases - yes.
In a minority of the cases - no (where India uses a sufficiently small warhead). But even in this scenario, there will be fallout in Amritsar. To what extent, depends again on warhead size, wind, etc.

Back
Top Bottom