What's new

India closely watching Russian move to sell attack helicopters to Pakistan

Rahul9090

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: India is closely tracking Russia's move to directly supply Mi-35 attack helicopters to Pakistan by lifting an informal arms embargo. But officials here also say that Russian arms have in any case been surreptitiously finding their way to Pakistan through China for years now.

"Yes, there is some concern here. But then, other countries like the US and France also sell their weaponry to both sides of the line of control. If the French sell Agosta-90B submarines to Pakistan, they sell the Scorpene submarines to us," said a senior defence official.

This comes in the backdrop of Russian Rostec corporation chief Sergei Chemezov declaring in Moscow on Monday that his country had lifted the arms embargo on Pakistan.

"We are negotiating the sales of Mi-35 helicopters to the country (Pakistan)," he said.

Russian ambassador to India, Alexander M Kadakin, on Wednesday however stressed his country would never do anything that would prove "detrimental" to the "deep and strategic" partnership with India.

While holding that there was never any formal arms embargo on Pakistan, he said talks on the supply of the Mi-35s were only at an "initial" stage at present.

Whatever be the case, say Indian officials, Pakistan has been getting Russian equipment ranging from aero-engines for its JF-17 fighters being produced with China to thinly-disguised Chinese variants of Russian radars, guns and the like.

Russia, of course, is piqued by India's conscious effort to increasingly turn to other countries like US, Israel and France for its military requirements since the 1999 Kargil conflict.

Russia has been India's largest defence supplier, with military sales worth over $40 billion since the first MiG-21s in 1963 to the present-day Sukhoi-30MKI fighters.

But the US alone has bagged Indian defence deals close to $10 billion over the last decade. India, in fact, has also selected American AH-64D Apache attack helicopters and Chinook heavy-lift choppers over their Russian rivals, Mi-28 Havocs and Mi-26s, in recent times.

The two contracts for 22 Apache and 15 Chinooks, together worth over $2.4 billion, are however yet to be inked.

India has been upset with Russia's propensity to not stick to delivery schedules, jack up costs mid-way through execution of contracts, create hurdles in transfer of technology and be unreliable about spares.

The long-delayed delivery of aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya (Admiral Gorshkov) as well as the huge jump in its refit cost to $2.33 billion is just one of the examples. But Russia will remain India's major military supplier for the foreseeable future.

Even as IAF progressively inducts the 272 Sukhoi-30MKI fighters ordered for over $12 billion, for instance, India and Russia are also negotiating the final R&D contract to jointly develop the fifth-generation fighter aircraft. If India indeed moves to induct over 200 such "swing-role'' stealth fighters, it will spend close to $35 billion over the next two decades on them.

India closely watching Russian move to sell attack helicopters to Pakistan - The Times of India

findability-magnifying-glass.jpg

We will ask you to pay for them. :) ;)

Pakistan has enough money to buy a couple of helicopters if not a full squadron.

u definitely need a bunch of both attack and transport heli's.

Why no chinese heli's in the procurement list?

I would have to call india pretty stupid if they dont keep a close eye infact If both sides are smart they should keep a track of all the defense procurements of each other and they do.

u definitely need a bunch of both attack and transport heli's.

Why no chinese heli's in the procurement list?

I m no expert on this. But I dont think Pakistan will buy more than a handful of attack helicopters from Russia.

Pakistan has a large number of Mi-17s which it bought from Russia in the last decade. But it also needs heavy lift helicopters as they were badly needed in 2005 Kashmir earthquake.

WELL...........THEN LET THE PARTY BEGIN: :guns::dance3::crazy_pilot::whistle::yay::yay:

shind-2.jpg

Mi-24_Super_Agile_Hind_on_ground_2006.jpg

--------------------------------

Just to make you feel better, we already operate MI-17 choppers and for a recap we have Russian engines powering the JF-17's :)

I dont get whats there for india to moan about, they already granted the US deals worth almost a whopping 10 billion dollars alone in the past decade :undecided:

How does Pakistan intend to pay for these? Chinese and US weapons at least come on aid or soft loans.

I do appreciate your concern pal, but thats not the prime issue here,

we getting the choppers is apparently the issue :)

Last edited:
I m no expert on this. But I dont think Pakistan will buy more than a handful of attack helicopters from Russia.

Pakistan has a large number of Mi-17s which it bought from Russia in the last decade. But it also needs heavy lift helicopters as they were badly needed in 2005 Kashmir earthquake.

If the requirement is just a handful then no point in JV and buying outright would be an ideal solution. Russian heli's fit in perfectly into your requirements (if it does not upset the Indo Russ calculus).

WELL...........THEN LET THE PARTY BEGIN: :guns::dance3::crazy_pilot::whistle::yay::yay:

shind-2.jpg

Mi-24_Super_Agile_Hind_on_ground_2006.jpg

--------------------------------

Just to make you feel better, we already operate MI-17 choppers and for a recap we have Russian engines powering the JF-17's :)

These helicopters are not Mi-35. They are refurbished Mi-24 old models.

These helicopters are not Mi-35. They are refurbished Mi-24 old models.

MI-24,25,35 are the same platform bro :)

the second one is an american one, hence it packs loads of goodies (thats an mi-24)

hope my post helped you :cheers:

We will ask you to pay for them. :) ;)

Pakistan has enough money to buy a couple of helicopters if not a full squadron.

Pakistan armed forces have allocated almost $1.6 Billion for procurement in 2014-15 so i don't think money is the problem here if they want to make this a priority. But PAF and PN also need to money for their procurements so we just need to wait and see.

MI-24,25,35 are the same platform bro :)

the second one is an american one, hence it packs loads of goodies (thats an mi-24)

hope my post helped you :cheers:

They are indeed the same platform, but Mi-35 uses a modern airframe. You should look into it. There are many differences, landing gear, rotor blades. We operate them in Brazil. I know what I'm talking about.

They are indeed the same platform, but Mi-35 uses a modern airframe. You should look into it. There are many differences, landing gear, rotor blades. We operate them in Brazil. I know what I'm talking about.

Which variant you use and what role they are used in??

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom