What's new

India 'close to wiping out polio'

fd24

Reaction score
India has "never been closer" to wiping out polio, India's health minister has declared while marking World Polio Day.

There have been no new cases for more than nine months, making it the longest polio-free period since the global eradication campaign was launched.

The only case reported this year was in the state of West Bengal in January. There were 39 cases reported over a similar period in 2010.

India is one of only four countries in the world where polio is still endemic.

The virus is also prevalent in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria.

"We are close to our goal but are not taking any chances," Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said on Monday.

"Efforts will be further intensified in the country to stop any residual polio virus circulation and also to prevent any polio cases following an international importation," he said.

Officials now say that any new case of polio would be dealt with as a public health emergency.

For decades health officials and non-governmental organisations have administered large-scale immunisation programmes as India battled the debilitating disease.

But the health ministry reported that no cases were reported from the northern state of Uttar Pradesh for 18 months and no cases have been reported from Bihar over the last 13 months.

Analysts say that these are encouraging signs.

Uttar Pradesh has been one of the worst-affected regions in the world's fight against polio with hundreds of cases reported until a few years ago.

Of the 549 polio cases in India in 2008, 297 were in Uttar Pradesh.

India's efforts to reduce polio cases have been praised by international health organisations.

Every year, India holds two national immunisation days in January and February and on each of these days, nearly 170.2 million children are given polio drops.

A highly infectious disease, polio tends to strike children aged under five. It invades the nervous system, leading to irreversible paralysis.

There is no cure, but a vaccine of mouth droplets can give good protection.

This is indeed great news for India. I hope Pakistan follows asap!

recent polio cases are really an alarming situation . Pakistan is working a lot to eradicate polio but there is a strong need of public awareness so that people are willing to vaccinate their children ,
Actually many polio cases are diagnosed in tribal areas and the virus is spreading from that region because due to poor law and order situation the medical teams could not reach their and start vaccination programe effectively....
bTW nice job India ..

Looks like the "2 boondh.." campaign is paying dividends. Sometimes the Indian govt. does surprise you with well planned public awareness campaigns.

India has "never been closer" to wiping out polio, India's health minister has declared while marking World Polio Day.

There have been no new cases for more than nine months, making it the longest polio-free period since the global eradication campaign was launched.

The only case reported this year was in the state of West Bengal in January. There were 39 cases reported over a similar period in 2010.

India is one of only four countries in the world where polio is still endemic.

The virus is also prevalent in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria.

"We are close to our goal but are not taking any chances," Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said on Monday.

"Efforts will be further intensified in the country to stop any residual polio virus circulation and also to prevent any polio cases following an international importation," he said.

Officials now say that any new case of polio would be dealt with as a public health emergency.

For decades health officials and non-governmental organisations have administered large-scale immunisation programmes as India battled the debilitating disease.

But the health ministry reported that no cases were reported from the northern state of Uttar Pradesh for 18 months and no cases have been reported from Bihar over the last 13 months.

Analysts say that these are encouraging signs.

Uttar Pradesh has been one of the worst-affected regions in the world's fight against polio with hundreds of cases reported until a few years ago.

Of the 549 polio cases in India in 2008, 297 were in Uttar Pradesh.

India's efforts to reduce polio cases have been praised by international health organisations.

Every year, India holds two national immunisation days in January and February and on each of these days, nearly 170.2 million children are given polio drops.

A highly infectious disease, polio tends to strike children aged under five. It invades the nervous system, leading to irreversible paralysis.

There is no cure, but a vaccine of mouth droplets can give good protection.

This is indeed great news for India. I hope Pakistan follows asap!

recent polio cases are really an alarming situation . Pakistan is working a lot to eradicate polio but there is a strong need of public awareness so that people are willing to vaccinate their children ,
Actually many polio cases are diagnosed in tribal areas and the virus is spreading from that region because due to poor law and order situation the medical teams could not reach their and start vaccination programe effectively....
bTW nice job India ..

Thanks Superkaif for highlighting this positive development.

@Doctor09, you are absolutely right the main problem is that awareness in public about this dangerous disease and its life long effects on kids is less. In our part of world due to lack of education and also low income levels people don't care much for spending on health.

Here in India the state governments and the central ones did a fine job i think in spreading information on this disease and also supply of medicines for eradication clinched it. I think u guys should start some awareness programs too on this. How is your government trying to work for this?? any idea guys?

Looks like the "2 boondh.." campaign is paying dividends. Sometimes the Indian govt. does surprise you with well planned public awareness campaigns.

You know i remember that polio ad till date. and yes our governments do surprise us sometimes don't they. I wish this would happen more often...

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

BBC publishing something good about South Asia!? :blink:

Haha butters what are u trying to do here??

Nothing mate. I'm just surprised is all.

Oh ok then, i thought u were having fun :P, seriously on topic the awareness ads about polio and TB (Tuberculosis) ran for a long time on national and other channels. It definitely helped the cause.

India could have eliminated polio by last year itself but the virus came from the pakistanis traveling in India.

Now, India is anti doting pakistani before entering into India and we are seeing the result.

Latest Threat From Pakistan: Polio - India Real Time - WSJ

India battles polio virus from Pakistan - Times Of India

Pakistan’s polio threatens India | Firstpost

Pakistan’s polio threatens India | Firstpost

After dengue it is polio virus threat from across border - Times Of India

Chinese polio strain same as Pakistan’s, India increases surveillance

The strain of poliovirus, wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1), that has been seen in China is genetically linked to virus currently circulating in Pakistan, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

They go on to say there have been seven confirmed cases involving the WPV1 strain detected in China’s Xinjiang province, which borders Pakistan, in the past two months.

The WHO is recommending countries strengthen their disease surveillance systems and travelers to Pakistan should be vaccinated against polio.

In addition, the WHO warned there was a high risk of the polio virus spreading further during Muslim pilgrimages to Mecca during the Hajj.

WPV1 is more dangerous than type 3 because it is more likely to cause paralysis and spreads more easily. Type 2 polio has been eradicated.

With the news of the first cases of polio in China in a decade, India’s Health Ministry has increased surveillance in the border states.

According to a Times of India report, States like Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat, besides Uttar Pradesh and Bihar have been asked to compulsorily administer polio drops (vaccination booths) to all children entering India from any of the neighboring countries.

With confirmation of another two polio cases from Balochistan, Pakistan on Monday, this brings the total number of cases of polio this year to 89

Chinese polio strain same as Pakistan

Thanks Superkaif for highlighting this positive development.

@Doctor09, you are absolutely right the main problem is that awareness in public about this dangerous disease and its life long effects on kids is less. In our part of world due to lack of education and also low income levels people don't care much for spending on health.

Here in India the state governments and the central ones did a fine job i think in spreading information on this disease and also supply of medicines for eradication clinched it. I think u guys should start some awareness programs too on this. How is your government trying to work for this?? any idea guys?
from my childhood i have seen polio vaccine campaigns and they are still doing a lot .... they regularly start vaccinating the children upto 5yrs of age ....
Lot of public awareness programs were on air at that time ...... medical teams go door to door and during vaccination campaign media also contribute by information..... but as i told you that polio is actually more seen in tribal areas because of migration of people from afghan side and medical teams have no access there and in some remote rural areas of sindh and punjab are also in this list

i hope within few years with better policy we will be able to eradicate polio .... i think our health department should learn from india

Doctor sahib please take some action on ghost teams, they are ruining the efforts.. Health ministry should also take care of live attenuated vaccine by means of preserving it properly..

Back
Top Bottom