What's new

India Cancels Deal for Six Airbus Tankers

I was taking a shower man...:undecided:

There are 3 big names
Boeing - USA
Airbus - France/Euro
and Iluyushin - Russia

Of course Russian are pressurizing for the IL76/78MKI but there is a choice of Airbus bcz we wish to see what more under MII we can get. You know Low Cost Airlines like Indigo has ordered massive numbers of A320 Neos. So we are trying to see how best with so much deals from our side we can use the civil and military aircraft giant to benefit our MIC.

The Russians is difficult to comment on what they will offer under MII. Normally they wont like to do any work but then who knows . They may change as well.
ok

the il-96400tz
31.jpg

Russia_Defense_Ministry_orders_two_Il_96_400TZ_tanker_aircraft_from_United_Aircraft_Corporation_640_001.jpg

ok

the il-96400tz
31.jpg

Russia_Defense_Ministry_orders_two_Il_96_400TZ_tanker_aircraft_from_United_Aircraft_Corporation_640_001.jpg

" And so, from hour to hour, we ripe and ripe,
And then, from hour to hour, we rot and rot;
And thereby hangs a tale." :- As You Like It.

I actually knew nothing about it ,though this beauty had stopped production after the 2009 decision .... but here we are , they fitted a broad body airliner to a tanker.... and what's more , 2 Are on order by Russian Ministry of Defence.

Little research tells its range to be near 3500km, and its transport capability of upto 65 tons.... much greater than the Il76/78 family.

If offered , this would be a very serious competition for Airbus.

I mean a complete rascal like Mulayam Singh Yadav was much better DM than these bastards. if left tho these babus and DM even Sukhoi purchase was not possible .

Now seriously! He was the DM in the era when we mothballed our tanks, and moved armoured unit personnel to Kashmir for CI grids. We didnt have money for anything other than pay and allowances.

@PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy Thanks for clarifying the picture in between the posts trashing all DMs from Mulayam (I trashed him) to present Parrikar. I agree, Airbus is the only serious contender across AWACS, refueller segments, the grapevine is abuzz with it - aim is for commonality of the products and procuring it in larger number than piecemeal acquisition. But then, MOD is the only variable and anything can happen - we might buy couple of paper aeroplanes in the end.

Last edited:
Talk about Indians being genius.. :woot: we find solutions to all complex problems with cunning street smart ways :wave:
Not sure about how tryign to create a common cost core and the definition of "genius" is worth thumping about when this approach is the norm throughout the world since the early 90's.
Countries with much more minuscule budgets do this without the aforementioned genius(which is usually taken at an IQ of 140+, unless the measure in India is different).

Not to mention that almost all other purchases India does provide ZERO proof for any of this "genius" at work in terms of logistical commonality and streamlining.

In short, I'd disagree with that statement.

Now seriously! He was the DM in the era when we mothballed our tanks, and moved armoured unit personnel to Kashmir for CI grids. We didnt have money for anything other than pay and allowances.

@PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy Thanks for clarifying the picture in between the posts trashing all DMs from Mulayam (I trashed him) to present Parrikar. I agree, Airbus is the only serious contender across AWACS, refueller segments, the grapevine is abuzz with it - aim is for commonality of the products and procuring it in larger number than piecemeal acquisition. But then, MOD is the only variable and anything can happen - we might buy couple of paper aeroplanes in the end.
i praised him only because of Sukhoi deal ... if im wrong well chuck mulayam then !

@Stephen Cohen LOL at #36

Not sure about how tryign to create a common cost core and the definition of "genius" is worth thumping about when this approach is the norm throughout the world since the early 90's.
Countries with much more minuscule budgets do this without the aforementioned genius(which is usually taken at an IQ of 140+, unless the measure in India is different).

Not to mention that almost all other purchases India does provide ZERO proof for any of this "genius" at work in terms of logistical commonality and streamlining.

In short, I'd disagree with that statement.

I think .he was being sarcastic, if I know him.

And knowing Indians, you should actually applaud the fact that we figured it out (hopefully)

NEW DELHI: India is now planning "a direct strategic purchase" of six flight refuelling aircraft (FRA) or tankers to enhance the reach of its fighter jets, bombers and surveillance aircraft after the bid to acquire them through global tenders failed twice over the last decade.

Consequently, the defence ministry (MoD) has scrapped the proposed Rs 9,000 crore contract for acquisition of six Airbus-330 MRTT (multi-role tanker transport) aircraft, which was hanging fire for several years due to high costs as well as old CBI cases and change in the manufacturer's name from EADS Cassidian to Airbus Group.

"Airbus was told towards end-June that the RFP (request for proposal or tender), under which the A-330 MRTT was selected as L-1 (lowest bidder), has been withdrawn. A decision will now be taken for direct acquisition of FRA, a criticaloperational necessity for IAF ," said a top MoD source.

Interestingly, the NDA government cited IAF's "critical operational necessity" as well as the need to cut time and costs to go in for the direct acquisition of 36 Rafale fighters in a government-to-government deal announced during the Modi-Hollande summit in Paris in April last year.
Simultaneously, it had scrapped the original $20 billion MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) project to acquire 126 Rafale jets, the commercial negotiations for which were deadlocked after the French fighter's selection over Eurofighter Typhoon, American F/A-18 and F-16, Swedish Gripen and Russian MiG-35.

It was in 2006 that IAF had first asked for acquisition of six more tankers after inducting six Ilyushin-78 mid-air refuelling aircraft in 2003-2004. While the IL-78s are based at Agra to support operations against Pakistan, the six new tankers were meant for Panagarh (West Bengal) to take care of China.

As was earlier reported by TOI, the two-engine A-330 MRTT was twice selected over the four-engine Russian IL-78 in technical and commercial evaluation over the last decade. But there were "concerns" over the life cycle cost (LCC) methodology used in selecting A-330 MRTT over the IL-78. The LCC basically identifies "total cost of ownership" of an aircraft or other equipment through its entire operational life of 25-30 years.

"With oil prices drastically dropping, Russia was contesting the LCC model used to select A-330 MRTT over the IL-78 (guzzles more fuel with four engines but cheaper off-the-shelf). There were finance ministry's objections and other problems," said a source.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-refuelling-aircraft/articleshow/53471222.cms

Now maybe IL-78 ... to give a slice of cake to russians?

Airbus it shall be, with due cost renegotiations.

Operational necessity is a open term which is abused the most.

A G2G with whom? Airbus - article says high cost, Ilyushin - the planes are maintenance heavy and availability is lower.

After quoting all negatives out in public what decision will be taken.. ? 2-3 numbers for immediate requirement but what about the modernization and acquisition planning?

We will say we saved cost and we lost all means to have any edge with force multipliers for long legged missions

Like MMCRA cancellation this G2G with any candidate will drag for years and finally in 2019+ we will order a new tender and start the process again.

i have a feeling that finance ministry led by Arun Dutt Jaitely is behind the cancellation of both MRCA and Such deals .

Soon sellers will lose confidence in indian tenders and stop quoting as they will learn India is using it only to make them work on the R/D and pass on valuable competitive information..this is typical indian attitude in all purchase..and that is why even me on an individual level stop quoting to Indian purchases when they keep raising RFQ without orders.
Thats how every business works, no free lunches. If the vendors find it lucrative they will be in if not out. Its just business.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom