What's new

INDIA: Building a Modern Arsenal in India

Great Going "DESI DOG"..................

I like your Previous name !!!!!!!! hahah lol

By the way any more news on LCH ?

Great Going "DESI DOG"..................

I like your Previous name !!!!!!!! hahah lol

By the way any more news on LCH ?

LOL ya that name was good too, you will hear something about the LCH before the end of march for sure. Wait and watch.

Sniper detection technology using acoustics, interview with Areva

Philippe Sombstay from Areva's Defence and Security division spoke to Manu Sood, Editor, 8ak, on the PILAR sniper countermeasure system developed by the company. The PILAR system was developed to detect a sniper even in noisy environments. It does this by measuring the direction and distance of a gunshot. Sombstay claims that their technology can distinguish and eliminate non-relevant noise like machine-gun fire which would otherwise lead to miscalculations. By using muzzle blast and shock wave information, the PILAR can indicate the shot source in order to allow quick reaction. The PILAR can be interfaced with remote weapons stations, GPS or inertial-navigation systems.

The PILAR system uses a five-pound foldable acoustic sensor array to detect and measure the shock wave and muzzle blast from any weapon firing 5.45 to 20-mm ammunition. Signals from the microphones on the array are sent to an eight-pound Data Interface Acquisition Module (DIAM), which processes the information in under two seconds and then displays the results on a ruggedized PC laptop. Using the data from the DIAM, specific configurations of the PILAR have the capability to provide a 3-D view of the location of a shooter. When a shot occurs, the display of the PILAR shows the origin of the shot and the trajectory of the bullet. The PILAR can be integrated into several new configurations, including the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV).

In unrelated news, the sister company Areva T&D India recently won an Rs 400 crore contract for setting up an extra high-voltage substation in Uttar Pradesh. The project is to be executed by the end of 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a peek in to India's foremost military training school - RIMC Dehradoon

Dehradoon-based prestigious Rashtriya Indian Military College (RIMC) celebrated its 88th founder’s day last week. The lavish affair lasting two days was attended by over 200 alumnii along with their family members. Among the prominent alumnii gracing the occasion were former Army Chief General V.N. Sharma, Lt Gen S.S. Dhillon, Vice Admiral P.K. Chatterjee, Maj Gen Manvendra Singh and 1971 war veteran Col Hari Handa.

8ak felt it necessary to cover the gala affair because the school, initially known as the Prince of Wales Royal Military College, has many laurels to its credit and its alumnii have gone on to be leaders in the armed forces, not only in India but also across the border. To begin with, the school holds the distinction of producing 8 service chiefs, which includes three in Pakistan, a distinction not held by any military school in the world. Not many would know, but India’s first Param Vir Chakra winner Maj Som Nath Sharma is also an alumnus of the school. The school also has the recipient of the coveted Distinguished Service Order (DSO), former army Chief General Thimayya to its credit. Other prominent alumni’s include the recipient of Victoria Cross Lt Gen PS Bhagat, Air Marshal Vinod Patney, the man behind the highly successful Operation Safed Sagar during the Kargil war and is also the most decorated IAF officer ever. Even on the civil street the school has the distinction of producing the youngest serving IAS officer, Simran Deep Singh, in the country.

The occassion was marked by several sporting and cultural events. Among the sporting events was a cadet versus old boys hockey and cricket match. The old boys made merry as they won both the games, proving that they still had the enthusiasm in their souls and age was not a factor on the playing field. Another sporting event which aroused a lot of interest was the inter-section boxing, where the cadets displayed immense courage and stamina in the ring fighting for their respective sections. The cadets also entertained the visitors by performing acrobatics and karate but when the horse show came around a RIMC/NDA alumni said that the recent addition of the horses and karate training had allowed the boys to put up a display that rivalled the NDA (National Defence Academy, Pune).

On the cultural side, the cadets came up with several heart warming performances which included dance items, college band performances and a skit with a social message. The old boys and the cadets also paid homage to the martyred soldiers belonging to the RIMC community by laying wreath on the war memorial built within the school campus spread across 138 acres.

The school, funded by the Ministry of Defence only takes in 250 students a year from every single state in India and provides them an exceptional education. The school is also unique because it is the only school in the nation to conduct internal boards, fully recognised by the CBSE, twice a year to facilitate the entry of its cadets into the National Defence Academy, which remains its primary aim. RIMC officials told 8ak that an average of 89% of its students go on to the NDA, as opposed to the national average of 0.2%.

But the school is facing its own challenges in maintaining its standards in the face of fund & manpower shortages and the relevance of old traditions in a fast changing India. One contentious issue is doubling the number of student to 500 which would divide the management, faculty and alumn

Aerospace and Defence SEZs in India, interview with Viswakarma Technopolis

India has the potential to becoming a global defence manufacturing hub. The key reasons for this are 50%-85% of our defence equipment is obsolete and 'frugal engineering' as suggested by Mahindra Defence CEO, Brig Hai (both in same 8ak article here); the offset clause in defence manufacturing applicable to purchases over 300 cr (US$75m) and expertise in software which comprises 30 to 50% of new system development.

The challenges are plenty- competition from other countries like Brazil, China etc, flawed/non-existent government policies, non-availability of finance and lastly, shortage of industrial land. The issue of shortage of suitable land was seen in the Tata Groups' withdrawal from Bengal over the inability of the W. Bengal government to provide it with 1,000 acres of land (see Wikipedia).

Many real estate groups are now addressing the issues above by setting up defence manufacturing hubs. Last year Quest Aerospace opened a 300 acre aerospace (and nuclear) park in Belgaum (see the 8ak article). Last month, Sri Kubera Infracon announced the launch of Viswakarma Technopolis in Hyderabad and 8ak interviewed Murali Datla on why they were expecting success given that most SEZs in India have failed and were mostly real estate plays rather than industrial parks. (While Viswakarma sponsored the 8ak stand and camera crew we maintain a strict policy of editorial independence from advertiser influence. This is reflected in the fact that we have very few advertisers).

CII recently pitched for a defence park in Tamil Nadu, home to most major auto manufacturers. GMR is promoting its park adjacent to the Hyderabad airport and the Indu Group is promoting the Lepakshi Knowledge Hub on the Andhra/Karnataka border. Others are proposed in West Bengal and Maharashtra. Given the overlap of defence with non-defence industries (ie. auto and medical equipment manufacturers need minor changes to use their products in defence equipment) manufacturers looking for land will be the biggest winners due to competition from the SEZs to attract enough companies to create a sustainable eco-system.

Hi desiman,

I am following your articles from last couple of days. I find them good with info. I want to know the most appropriate place to get the current export of Indian military hardware and software.

Thanks for your reply in advance!!!

1nd1a:sniper:

Hi desiman,

I am following your articles from last couple of days. I find them good with info. I want to know the most appropriate place to get the current export of Indian military hardware and software.

Thanks for your reply in advance!!!

1nd1a:sniper:

Hey thx a lot, just trying to do my part. Are you looking for information on Indian defence issues or just military hardware ?

Hey thx a lot, just trying to do my part. Are you looking for information on Indian defence issues or just military hardware ?

I want to know what are the products which Indian military is selling to other countries.

I want to know what are the products which Indian military is selling to other countries.

ohh long list lol i dont think there is one website for that. It depends which type of military equipment you are talking about.

ohh long list lol i dont think there is one website for that. It depends which type of military equipment you are talking about.

Oh good to know that we are atlest selling some things to some country.

I am interested in aircraft, tanks , armed vehicles, rifles and software.

:sniper:

Indian War Hero: Named Arun Khetarpal

I am not sure if this article will be off this thread but after reading this I am force to put it here(as this thread is very popular because of desiman). Apologies if it is.

Born on 14 October 1950, in Pune, Maharashtra, 2nd Lt Arun Khetarpal came from a family with a long tradition of service in the Army. His great grandfather had served in the Sikh army and fought against the British at the battle of Chalianwala in 1848. His grandfather served in the British army during the first world war and Arun’s father, Brigardier M.L. Khetarpal, served in the Engineering corps till he retired from service.

After completing his initial education from Lawrence school, Sanawar, Arun joined the National Defence Academy (NDA) in 1967 and three years later went on to Indian Military Academy to complete his final phase of military training. He was commissioned in the 17 Poona Horse on 13 June 1971.

On 16 December 1971, the Squadron Commander of ‘B’ Squadron, the Poona Horse asked for reinforcement as the Pakistani Armour which was superior in strength, counter attacked at Jarpal, in the Shakargarh Sector. On hearing this transmission, 2nd Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal who was in ‘A’ Squadron, voluntarily moved along with his troop, to assist the other squadron.

En route, while crossing the Basantar River, Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal and his troop came under fire from enemy strong points and RCL gun nests that were still holding out. Time was at a premium and as critical situation was developing in the ‘B’ Squadron sector, Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal, threw caution to the winds and started attacking the impending enemy strong points by literally charging them, overrunning the defence works with his tanks and capturing the enemy infantry and weapon crew at pistol point.

When the commander of his troops was killed. Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal continued to attack relentlessly until all enemy opposition was overcome and he broke through towards the ‘B’ Squadron position, just in time to see the enemy tanks pulling back after their initial probing attack on this squadron. He was so carried away by the wild enthusiasm of battle and the impetus of his own headlong dash that he started chasing the withdrawing tanks and even managed to shoot and destroy one. Soon thereafter, the enemy reformed with a squadron of armour for a second attack and this time they selected the sector held by Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal and two other tanks as the points for their main effort. A fierce tank fight ensured ten enemy tanks were hit and destroyed of which Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal was severely wounded. He was asked to abandon his tank but he realised that the enemy though badly decimated was continuing to advance in his sector of responsibility and if he abandoned his tank the enemy would break through, he gallanty fought on and destroyed another enemy tank, At this stage his tank received a second hit which resulted in the death of this gallant officer.

Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal was dead but he had, by his intrepid valour saved the day; the enemy was denied the breakthrough they were so desperately seeking. Not a single enemy tank got through. Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal had shown the best qualities of leadership, tenacity of purpose and the will to close in with the enemy. This was an act of courage and self-sacrifice far beyond the call of duty.

Oh good to know that we are atlest selling some things to some country.

I am interested in aircraft, tanks , armed vehicles, rifles and software.

ohh ya we are, lots of wbesites are devoted to such subjects.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom