What's new

India begins uphill journey with Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)

the clase btw india & usa POV is that USA just want india to counter china....but india want friendly relation wih China....

Economically, US, China, Europe, ASEANS and Russia will work very intertwined. India can easily fit in with any of these countries. So there shouldn't be any debate for India here unless its some Indian protectionist.

Its the geopolitical options that could cause debate inside India. India can either side with Russia and thus draw closer to China because of traditional ties with USSR. India can choose to participate as a member of democracy. Russia and China are becoming closer because the US regards these two countries are the long term strategic competitor. US has allies in Europe, Far East, Israel and Australia. Whether India can stay independent of these two campes and for how long of these two camps depends on the sharpness of division, which is not that much right now. However, India by itself will eventually have to make a choice if and only if strategic competition between Russia/China Axis and the Western Alliance becomes more severe.

The west doesn't exclusively mean USA, yes during Bush regime US and India came closer but they also came closer to Pakistan as well tough it was completely different from Indo-US relation. It was natural way of two countries coming closer when they have common interests. It started way back in early nineties and just halted because of the nuke test but due to geo-political scenario they had to come closer resulting close ties. If Obama admin doesn't realize that its upto them but they will.

Broadly speaking the West was not against us as well! We were much closer to USSR and it was our own 'choice'. I am not going into details of whether we have gained or loosed from that 'choice'.

Obama took some unwise decisions regarding India, Afghanistan and many others. Well, that may harm India's relation with US but did really US gain from that? Indo-US relation was not one way or one sided relationship, it meant to be beneficial fr both. If we loose something, they are also loosing something.

You have to note that India did not take anti-China stand though many thought it was the future implication of Indo-US relationship nor we put aside Russia or Iran.

Thats what I mean. We should gain from everyone. Russia, US, Afghanistan, Europe, Japan, Africa, Latin America, Middle East, ASEAN, SAARC, BRIC, IBSA, BIMSTEC, G8+5, G-20, G-4, SCO, China, Tibet, even if possible from Pakistan as well. We should do 'business' with everyone.

When you have one of your adversary in an org than it will not be best beneficial to you. This was one of the main reason India stayed away from SCO. I am not saying India has to be against China but India will not gain strategically. India looses both sides.

I know that Russia is a time tested friend but there are many differences between Russia and USSR. I am not in favor of the west or US but I don't think it will be better for India to suddenly jump into SCO. My idea is, go as we did, keep good relations with all of them until our interests are not against one side, then join any one of them depending on appropriate scenario. ;)

Well sir at some point or the other we have to side with someone , this does not mean we oppose the others; even china and us do not oppose each other too openly. What i mean is east is where our real future lies and west will be a friend but not one who influences our decisions as it is now. (Please don't jump at me saying we are not influenced by anybody, because we are to some extent, though u may not agree)

as india's power grows, it must make a choice between western warlords, and peace.

a step away from the US led camp is a step towards peace. of course, choosing wrong has severe consequences.

of course SCO is not an alliance, and china and russia are not allies. however, if india does get involved in any messy alliance building, being involved as a pro-western power would severely damage its ties with Russia on which it depends for weaponry, and also lead to increased tensions with us, the consequences of which may prove very damaging to india.

i'm afraid, however, india may have already made its choice, when Kinetic refered to a territory of China in the same breath as a nation. if such a stance is made official then there may or may not be a need for stronger measures.

We should make a separate group with

India + Russia + Brazil + France + Iran

No need to carry baggage of china. As their bad reputation and works will effect us.

You have TOO MUCH of a problem with china. As the leading growing economy China can't be left out. And as for 'bad rep', just look at your suggestion: Iran? The west hates them! and Russia? west still consider them a very big threat.

I think India should join SCO, but still keep good relations with west. Indian diplomacy is good. If we can be friends with both Iran and Israel, then being in SCO and still keeping warm relations with west wont be a problem.

I think India should join SCO as a permanent member (Current Status : Observer).

Its a wonderful opportunity to raise voice against western hegemony.

All Asia should stand united against USA.

We have some wonderful examples in our neighborhood for so called "Friend of USA"

india should maintain diplomatic relation with both west & east....and should think best for itself....

Well sir at some point or the other we have to side with someone , this does not mean we oppose the others; even china and us do not oppose each other too openly. What i mean is east is where our real future lies and west will be a friend but not one who influences our decisions as it is now. (Please don't jump at me saying we are not influenced by anybody, because we are to some extent, though u may not agree)

mate I agree with you but I think you did not read my entire post.

China-India relation is much more volatile than China-US relation. China-US may not oppose each other openly but we do. Our recent military build up at North East and China's massive build up along Indo-Tibet border have to be noticed. You have to notice as well that China is the only supplier of strategic weapons for Pakistan. If as a part of SCO India have to take stand against US, what will India gain? Russia still thinks US as its main adversary. Recent Georgia is a good example. If India becomes part of any org, we loose one side. We will select one but that will depend on time and geopolitical scenario.

The east, if you mean China, will never influence any of the major countries decision like Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam etc.... They will be very powerful but not the only one. They got many powerful adversaries.

The future of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) will depend on how the 'New Great Game' develops. Old British India was a key player in the old great game. let us see how they act in the new one.

Back
Top Bottom