What's new

India bans TV reality shows from prime time--Agree or not

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NEW DELHI: Indian regulators have ordered television channels not to broadcast reality shows before 11:00 pm over fears about their increasingly adult content, reports said Thursday.

Two hugely popular programmes — “Bigg Boss”, the local version of “Big Brother”, and “Rakhi ka Insaaf” — will be hit by the ruling from the Information and Broadcasting Ministry, the Indian Express said.

The government and affected channels declined to confirm the crackdown, and the shows have continued to air in their regular prime time slots.

The fourth series of “Bigg Boss” attracted the headlines this week with the arrival of scantily-clad Hollywood actress and model Pamela Anderson. Kissing and abusive language have also caused regular scandals on the show.

“Rakhi ka Insaaf,” in which opinionated Bollywood dancer Rakhi Sawant tackles people’s personal problems, hit controversy recently when a former participant committed suicide.

His family blamed the show’s host, saying he fell into depression after Sawant called him impotent while she tried to sort out his marital difficulties.

“We have not asked the producers of the show to modify content or have not done any sort of censoring, just shifted the time slots allotted to them,” a senior ministry official told The Indian Express.

According to The Times of India, the government also instructed news channels not to broadcast footage from the shows while reporting on them.

“I have my kids watching TV during the 9:00 pm slot and it’s disgusting. Indian values are different. Shows like ‘Bigg Boss’ are not made for our culture,” housewife Meena Patel told the Times.

But Bollywood filmmaker Farah Khan tweeted against the ruling, calling it hypocritical and saying that parents should take responsibility for what their children watch.

In March the ministry suspended the France-based channel Fashion TV for nine days for falling foul of obscenity laws by broadcasting bare-breasted models during a fashion show in 2009.
Are we losing ethics and morality just for the sake of money......????

In a free society, the media is free to make almost any kind of TV show. Some shows are more 'Racy' than others, such as this Big Boss and Rakhi Sawant BS (I personally do not watch them, but others do:what:).

These shows are not for young kids, the govt has a duty to ensure that they are broadcast late at night when most kids are asleep.

I have seen the dress that Pamela Anderson was wearing in Bigg Boss, it was too much for kids, not that they would mind, but why expose them to all such stuff at such a young age.

Although they can still find their way on the internet, but I agree that all such stuff should not be shown in prime time.

ANd Rakhi Sawant, that frightening witch, kids get frightened just by looking at her.

I fully support pushing this shows outside of prime time.

Good move by GoI... some morality needs to be maintained when sitting and watching TV with the family (prime time)... such shows with growing popularity ratings will only encourage more of its kind and the competition to be the raunchier will quickly go out of control.

Both the shows are vulgar...I support the government move to push the shows outside of prime time.

Well kids can find other ways like internet for such stuffs but it is not good when one is watching television with family including kids and then these scene appears..its kind of awkward...

Grrrrrrr Rakhi Sawant..:hitwall::hitwall: (rakhi sawant ko to peetne ka mun karta hai muah par thapad hi thapad...),,lol

so, i agree and appreiciate the step by gov.

TRUE, worst than never ending sops. Polluting all the people. fc.k them.

Dude,,soaps r wayyy better..have u seen what mtv ,bindass channels telecast these days ,,,, Splitsvilla ,Emotional atyachar :hitwall::hitwall:(you should have seen the episode on Gay Loyalty Test):rofl::rofl: and worst of all ..kids loves these crappy shows..:hitwall::hitwall:

Dude,,soaps r wayyy better..have u seen what mtv ,bindass channels telecast these days ,,,, Splitsvilla ,Emotional atyachar :hitwall::hitwall:(you should have seen the episode on Gay Loyalty Test):rofl::rofl: and worst of all ..kids loves these crappy shows..:hitwall::hitwall:

Damn, i was just changing channel and i saw little trailor of it,,damn f****n ugly,,ewww the gov needs to ban these reality shows.:hitwall:

what r u
some moral brigade behaving like 90 year olds (well sum of u might be).
shame on u guys.
i hate these two shows just for their morality itself but who r v, some few people to decide what the rest of people should watch.
the claim that it can harm children is utter nuiscence.
just understand one thing parents r the one's having the remote not chidren.
and dont brng the b.s of culture into it
culture is not some devine thing or preamble which never changes
we make and decide our culture

oh well what a hypocrisy when we Pakistani members were talking about shyt indian programs with regard to content and other features the bharatiyas were fuming with anger.

And well well well look what we have today the same bharatiyas are talking about morality and thus appreciating the ban.

oh well what a hypocrisy when we Pakistani members were talking about shyt indian programs with regard to content and other features the bharatiyas were fuming with anger.

And well well well look what we have today the same bharatiyas are talking about morality and thus appreciating the ban.

I knew you would come to this thread :partay:

If you had seen Pamela's dress in yesterday's 9pm show, you wouldn't have written the above. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom