What's new

India and Pakistan heatwave is ‘testing the limits of human survivability,’ expert says

Yeah winters can be really nice but bring with it the low hanging smog from all the stubble burning from surrounding areas.

nasa-delhi-pollution-1573005259.jpg

its a real pain, and can be a killer for those with chronic lung conditions, your eyes burn and tear, cloaks the whole city in a dreary depressing smog that blocks the sun.. no blue skies.. aand, gets worse every year. I generally take off to the Konkan coast for some susegad time during those months as winters roll into Dilli.

It seems to have gotten this bad in recent years? I was there between 2009-12 and while it did get smoggy on some winter days, it wasn't enough to disable outdoor activities and cause the eye and breathing issues.

It seems to have gotten this bad in recent years? I was there between 2009-12 and while it did get smoggy on some winter days, it wasn't enough to disable outdoor activities and cause the eye and breathing issues.
It has.. CM saab has to pass an ordinance most years clamping down on "construction activities" every year to show kuch kar raha hai saala.. not even his fault but.. saara fasal jalanai ka mamla Punjab/UP farmers ka hai.. Dilli suffers. It'll happen again starting mid-late November.. you watch :mad:

I barely managed to climb out of all unwanted impedimenta and into a lungi and vest, under the punishing heat that was only punctured by a welcome thunderstorm day before, giving us two days of relief. It is difficult to think in these conditions.

Clearly there is a need for government and NGO action to educate people, and to offer relief measures, but there is also now need for medium-term and long-term legislation. For instance, in urban architecture, to allow for much greater intervals and clear spaces between buildings, for mandatory covered walk-ways, for return to cooler building materials, such as brick, replacing cement and glass, for a substantial increase in water-flow through built-up areas to relieve the heat, and for plenty of drinking water outlets and public resting places proof against the open sun.

Clearly also the days of cheap manual labour in the field and in construction in summer are gone, and it must be thought through what is needed as a substitute, and what happens to the displaced labourers, for whom often these are the only sources of daily income and daily food-provision.
And we are talking about physical heat - I wont even mention the emotional heat that is the local atmosphere and culture. Unsurvivable.

It has.. CM saab has to pass an ordinance most years clamping down on "construction activities" every year to show kuch kar raha hai saala.. not even his fault but.. saara fasal jalanai ka mamla Punjab/UP farmers ka hai.. Dilli suffers. It'll happen again starting mid-late November.. you watch :mad:
Unless Punjab gov. has the political will to roll back water/power subsidy for farmers, Delhi has no hope! I've read that Punjab's water table has significantly diminished because of bore wells used for agriculture :undecided:

Title makes it sound like an experiment from HARRAP being done on our subcontinent.

And we are talking about physical heat - I wont even mention the emotional heat that is the local atmosphere and culture. Unsurvivable.

Add oppressive humidity and it is absolutely suffocating, and not just physically.

Make AC cheaper or subsidized by the government (yes I acknowledge the tone deafness)

Make your homes like they did in the olden days with tall ceilings
I live in an old era high roofed home
what is the advantage of high roofs from a technical point of view?

Pajeets would survive easily. Would use all that heat to lynch someone for having beef
Koi sense hai is baat ka ?
Hain ji ?

what heat wave you fellas are talking about?
In humayains time , city of ahmedabd was described as a dusty town , nothing exceptional here .
Any way , where I live , it rains for 6 months straight and sun dosent come out for days on end , then we miss these heat waves

Title makes it sound like an experiment from HARRAP being done on our subcontinent.
Its hottest year since last 122 years or some thing .
Anyway i dont agree with what meteorological department says , how do they even have data of last 122 years ?
Any way no spring came this year , winters and directly summer.

Coal shortages in Powerplants in indian punjab and Haryana.
Absolute state of the country with one of the largest reserves of coal on earth

Legalize eating beef so that we can use up more land for animal feed and reduce manure as biomass for ground soil.

Who has stopped you from eating buffalo meat ?
Anyway different states in india have different laws regarding boviens
Like in North east , in all bjp ruled states you get beef , cow meat that is and not buffalo.
You also get dog meat , its a delicacy in those parts
Its money, so it's good

best solution to beat heat is to drink roohafza mixed with lassi .
I find it helpful
Or whats that other drink made with mint and lime green in punjab such a cooling drink done a couple of pregabalin mind gone blank. Soory just remembered it jal jeerra

Who has stopped you from eating buffalo meat ?
Anyway different states in india have different laws regarding boviens
Like in North east , in all bjp ruled states you get beef , cow meat that is and not buffalo.
You also get dog meat , its a delicacy in those parts
Its money, so it's good

You missed my sarcasm.

Livestock takes up nearly 80% of global agricultural land, yet produces less than 20% of the world's supply of calories.

Eating animals is one sure way to increase heatwave and global warming.

Back
Top Bottom