What's new

India and Israel planned to bomb Pakistani nuclear facilities

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Radchenko says that documents in the Hungarian archives show that the Soviets had shared with the Hungarians India’s plans to attack Kahuta.

Last week, the US State department declassified its top-secret documents from 1984-85 which focus on the Pakistani nuclear programme. The CIA analysis, and the talking points for the US Ambassador to Islamabad while handing over President Ronald Reagan’s letter to General Zia-ul Haq, show that the US warned Pakistan about an Indian military attack on the Pakistani nuclear reactor at Kahuta.

But the Americans were not alone in anticipating an Indian attack. Prof Rajesh Rajagopalan of JNU recently pointed to The End of the Cold War and the Third World: New Perspectives on Regional Conflict, a book by Sergey Radchenko and Artemy M. Kalinovsky based on the declassified documents of the Eastern Block. Radchenko says that documents in the Hungarian archives show that the Soviets had shared with the Hungarians India’s plans to attack Kahuta.

In his book, India’s Nuclear Policy —1964-98: A Personal Recollection, K Subrahmanyam recollected that the Indian proposal to Pakistan for non-attack on each other’s nuclear facilities, which he suggested to Rajiv Gandhi, was an outcome of such rumours in the Western media. Although the ‘Agreement on the Non-Attack of Nuclear Facilities between Indian and Pakistan’ was first verbally agreed upon in 1985, it was formally signed in 1988 and ratified in 1991. Since 1992, India and Pakistan have been exchanging the list of their nuclear facilities on January 1 every year.

But how close was India to attacking Kahuta in the 1980s? The first time India is believed to have considered such an attack is in 1981. The idea obviously originated from the daring Israeli attack of June 7, 1981, that destroyed the under-construction Iraqi nuclear reactor at Osirak. Eight F-16s of the Israeli Air Force flew more than 600 miles in the skies of three enemy nations to destroy the target and returned unscathed.

In 1996, WPS Sidhu, senior fellow for foreign policy at Brookings India, was the first to state that after the induction of Jaguars, Indian Air Force (IAF) had conducted a brief study in June 1981 on the feasibility of attacking Kahuta. The study concluded that India could “attack and neutralise” Kahuta but feared that such an attack would result in a full-blown war between India and Pakistan. This was besides the concerns that an Indian attack will beget an immediate retaliatory — some say, even pre-emptive — Pakistani air strike on Indian nuclear facilities.

In their book, Deception: Pakistan, the United States and the Global Nuclear Conspiracy, Adrian Levy and Catherine Scott-Clark claim that Indian military officials secretly travelled to Israel in February 1983 to buy electronic warfare equipment to neutralise Kahuta’s air defences. Israel reportedly also provided India with technical details of the F-16 aircraft in exchange for Indians providing them some details about the MiG-23 aircraft. In mid- to late-1983, according to strategic affairs expert Bharat Karnad, Indira Gandhi asked the IAF once again to plan for an air strike on Kahuta.

The mission was cancelled after Pakistani nuclear scientist Munir Ahmed Khan met Indian Atomic Energy Commission chief-designate Raja Ramanna at an international meet in Vienna and threatened a retaliatory strike on Bhabha Atomic Research Centre at Trombay.

The next time India is believed to have seriously considered attacking Kahuta was in September-October 1984. Details of the Pakistani nuclear programme crossing the weaponisation enrichment threshold had then begun to emerge. As seen from documents declassified last week, on September 16, 1984, US Ambassador Dean Hinton told Zia that if the US were to see signs that India was preparing for an attack, they would notify Pakistan immediately.

On September 22, a reliable source from a foreign country — later assumed to be the CIA Deputy Director — reported to the Pakistani top brass that there was the possibility of an Indian air strike. The same day, ABC television also reported that a preemptive Indian attack on Pakistani nuclear facilities was imminent, which was based on a briefing made by the CIA to a US Senate intelligence subcommittee.

But India did not go ahead with its plans to attack Kahuta because the element of surprise was lost. According to Subrahmanyam, an increase in air defences around Kahuta was “proof, if any more were needed, that our covert intentions to hit Kahuta were not secret anymore”.

It has also been rumoured that Israeli air force was part of the plans to attack Kahuta in 1984 because it did not want to see an “Islamic Bomb” developed by Pakistan. Israel was supposed to lead this attack and not merely play the role of advising the IAF. Bharat Karnad has written that Israeli aircraft were to be staged from Jamnagar airfield in Gujarat, refuel at a satellite airfield in North India and track the Himalayas to avoid early radar detection, but Indira Gandhi eventually vetoed the idea. Levy and Scott-Clark though claim that Indira Gandhi had signed off on the Israeli-led operation in March 1984 but backed off after the US state department warned India “the US will be responsive if India persists”.

Conversations with some people associated with the IAF in the early 1980s support the idea of an Israeli connection to Indian plans to attack Kahuta. It tells us that India had seriously considered attacking Kahuta three decades ago but chose not to, mainly due to the fears of a retaliatory Pakistani strike on Trombay and the danger of an isolated strike escalating into a full-blown war.

http://indianexpress.com/article/ex...litary-attack-on-a-pakistani-nuclear-reactor/

They did indeed had planned and Pakistan found out about it. As a result, the then Pakistan's Chief of the Army Staff Retired General Aslam Baig (if I remember it correctly) said to the Indians, no matter who attacks Pakistani nuclear facilities, Pakistan will hit India.

Plan was then cancelled.

For us it is not a news but rather the confirmation. It is a big slap for Israeli supporters on pdf who claim that Pakistan and Israel have no issues or conflicts....But zionists are not happy with Pakistan's nuclear program. They tried in 1984, then again in 1998 and they are still not content but waiting for an opportunity but they will remain unsuccessful inshaAllah

Indian Establishment policy is being always matured and Indian Military planners and intelligence agencies do have the full knowledge about the fall out.

Indian intelligence agencies were well aware about the Pakistani Nuclear programme and who were assisting the Pakistan Nuclear Programme. During the 80's , Afghanistan war was going on and even Iran-iraq war and the whole region was in choas and it was the period of the cold war. Israelis were more to end the India's relations with the traditional Arab world.

For us it is not a news but rather the confirmation. It is a big slap for Israeli supporters on pdf who claim that Pakistan and Israel have no issues or conflicts....But zionists are not happy with Pakistan's nuclear program. They tried in 1984, then again in 1998 and they are still not content but waiting for an opportunity but they will remain unsuccessful inshaAllah

You never Heard that " Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend " ? are we not taught to hate , kill and destroy the Zionist/Israel State ? what do you expect them to do ? send you some Fresh Candies ? Our pilots actively involved in Wars against Israel that is why they see you as Threat and try to contain you with Help of our Eternal Enemy India. have you ever try to create Diplomatic ties with them ? so many of your Arab Brothers are Enjoying the Friendly Relation with Israel yet we " Pakistani " are just following the KSA lead like a Good sheep .. or we are too afraid for the Mullah Reactions that they will destroy half of Pakistan by Shouting Allah Ho akber and Death to the Jews !!

They plan but did not Attack and that is what matters , and if we are looking just planning as Attack than why are we still in US feet ? they plan to send us back to the stone age ? Russians help India and break half of our country , UK's Mi6 is actively Involved in Sponsoring Anti Pakistan Elements , and lets not mention what our Arab brothers have done to us in the name of Sectarian War , and the Price we pay , everyday in the streets of Pakistan ...

Let me Clear this for you ,and other who must be getting ready to jump on me over this , I am in Favor of Pakistan and Israel Diplomatic Relations, but i Disagree with their way to tackle the Palestine Matter .. so my problem is with their State Policy not with the State, just you have the right to Exist, and Muhammad Ali Jinnah aka Quaid-e-Azam snatch a piece of Land right under the nose of Indian Hindu's and Britishers , Israel get their ... they fought and won , It is as simple as that .. you and i we both know that in future if Muslims in ME become Powerful enough the first thing they will do is wipe Israel out from the face of the earth ..

For the sake of Peace in Region i would be happy for Pakistani Establishment to sit with Israeli counter parts and set terms for Financial , Trading , Cultural Exchange , Defense etc ..

No country is Sane , we all have a dark past and a bloody history full of wars , Operations , Misadventures etc .. but in the end What matters is " They did not Attack Pakistan and we did not Attack them " .

P.S for some Emotional Posters , what i wrote is my Personal Opinion and you have all the right to agree or Disagree but in a Civilized manner .

Regards .

To enemies of Pakistan: If an attack on Pakistan happend, Pakistan would hit back on all involved parties. Dont underestimate the will of the pakistani people.

I also planned a covert strike on Indian nuclear site, Trombay but my dad got wind off it and I cancelled it.
I then really was ready to strike Trombay but my mother advised me against so I cancelled it.
Then I was really serious but a Indian warned me of dire consequences so I cancelled it.
Bottom line I did f*ck all. I aint't no Isreali. But trust me I will make a movie "Mission Kahuta".

And as regards Israel joining in is a laughable proposition that is just milching the famed Israeli military flair for carrying out daring missions and hoping that rubs off on India. The truth is if one believes as the article claims that US would inform Pak of any potential Indian strike - it is inconcievable that Israel would carry such a attack against the wishes of United States. It is not even possible for the simple reason that during 1980s Pakistan was frontline state involved in a war against the Soviets in conjunction with USA. In this Cold War era Israel was the super ally of America and it would have never done anything that might compromise US Operation Cyclone in Afghanistan in which Pakistan was the vital partner.

Link > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone

To enemies of Pakistan: If an attack on Pakistan happend, Pakistan would hit back on all involved parties. Dont underestimate the will of the pakistani people.

And this has been the real reason that the whole sub continent have seen deaths and destruction of the Indian Nation.

You never Heard that " Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend " ? are we not taught to hate , kill and destroy the Zionist/Israel State ? what do you expect them to do ? send you some Fresh Candies ? Our pilots actively involved in Wars against Israel that is why they see you as Threat and try to contain you with Help of our Eternal Enemy India. have you ever try to create Diplomatic ties with them ? so many of your Arab Brothers are Enjoying the Friendly Relation with Israel yet we " Pakistani " are just following the KSA lead like a Good sheep .. or we are too afraid for the Mullah Reactions that they will destroy half of Pakistan by Shouting Allah Ho akber and Death to the Jews !!

They plan but did not Attack and that is what matters , and if we are looking just planning as Attack than why are we still in US feet ? they plan to send us back to the stone age ? Russians help India and break half of our country , UK's Mi6 is actively Involved in Sponsoring Anti Pakistan Elements , and lets not mention what our Arab brothers have done to us in the name of Sectarian War , and the Price we pay , everyday in the streets of Pakistan ...

Let me Clear this for you ,and other who must be getting ready to jump on me over this , I am in Favor of Pakistan and Israel Diplomatic Relations, but i Disagree with their way to tackle the Palestine Matter .. so my problem is with their State Policy not with the State, just you have the right to Exist, and Muhammad Ali Jinnah aka Quaid-e-Azam snatch a piece of Land right under the nose of Indian Hindu's and Britishers , Israel get their ... they fought and won , It is as simple as that .. you and i we both know that in future if Muslims in ME become Powerful enough the first thing they will do is wipe Israel out from the face of the earth ..

For the sake of Peace in Region i would be happy for Pakistani Establishment to sit with Israeli counter parts and set terms for Financial , Trading , Cultural Exchange , Defense etc ..

No country is Sane , we all have a dark past and a bloody history full of wars , Operations , Misadventures etc .. but in the end What matters is " They did not Attack Pakistan and we did not Attack them " .

P.S for some Emotional Posters , what i wrote is my Personal Opinion and you have all the right to agree or Disagree but in a Civilized manner .

Regards .

First of all, you don't need to be afraid of me...I don't get into personal insults and attack especially if someone is serious and I see you as a serious poster / member and I respect your opinion and on some points we might have likelihood of the possibility of agreement to some extent though it may be in the limit tending to zero. But since you have exaggerated and disregarded the facts that's why I have to answer to your post so that no one gets misled

I don't know what you have been taught in your schools but at least I was not taught to hate Israel to the extent of wiping it out from the face of the Earth..but I'm not an expert on Pakistani education system...I just attended school in Pakistan till grade 4.

No we are not following KSA rather KSA has good relations, albeit covert, with Israel and if we are following anyone...that will be Iran...But I can see you will be nodding your head in negative...and I agree with you it is not Iran..we are not following them...These are Pakistan's own principles and wishes of the people and many have tried in past especially Mushy and he was met with so much friction from the people of Pakistan that he had to give up the plan immediately. So the Mullah you are talking about is factually the vast majority of this nation and I think you believe in democracy...if not then you should consider relocation / migration

Participation of Pakistani pilots in Arab-Israel war was not a state policy but voluntary and only limited to defending the airspace of Arab countries and not attacking Israel....so get that fact right....Google it and you will be able to watch the interviews of those pilots on youtube.

You cannot possibly liken the creation of Pakistan with Israel's as the former was created through a political struggle for the Muslims of Indian subcontinent...who were the native people of subcontinent or living for centuries.

Israel was created by the British through military intervention and Jews were brought there from all over the world..I think you are not goof enough to believe that the Ashkenazi Jews are original inhabitants of the region Right? so Israel was created through an illegal occupation and still the problem is growing as the process of colonisation is still going on and Palestinian territory is constantly shrinking along with the worst possible human rights violations and genocide.
I think you should get some quality books on history since the education system you have been through didn't do much for raising your knowledge of history. Just for a hint....even Kenya was considered for housing an Israel.

Furthermore, Israel has an expansionist agenda and that is very clear and their most fundamental policy..to create a greater Israel as per their pre-historic state of King Solomon and David and they won't be content until they achieve that.

Now their plan to attack Pakistan's nuclear plant was not limited to some whiteboard simulation....no man...they factually executed and Israeli fighter-jets had arrived at Indian airbases but it was foiled due to some friendly country shared intel with Pakistan and then Pakistan responded and conveyed the message of dire consequences to both India and Israel through proper channels and thus putting an end to lunacy....perhaps you know or not that Israel successfully destroyed Iraq's nuclear plant...I would say it was nothing short of divine intervention that Pakistan's nuclear program has survived...

In the past, when Muslims conquered Jerusalem, they gave a general amnesty and especially protected Jews against the crusaders....I don't know what will they do in future but I know exactly what they did in the past for sure.

And would you like to elaborate how Pakistan's recognition of Israel with improve the peace in the region...since I don't see Pakistan and Israel fighting with each other so I need some clear evidence to understand your point...

I think I have refuted most of your points through knowledgeable and logical counter arguments and kept my word and I would expect you to do the same and suggest you do some reading.

Regards,
WnP
@salarsikander @Khafee

Last edited:
Now their plan to attack was not limited to some whiteboard simulation....no man...they factually executed and Israeli fighter-jets had arrived at Indian airbases but it was foiled due to some friendly country helped shared intel with Pakistan and then Pakistan responded and conveyed the message of dire consequences to both India and Israel through proper channels and thus putting an end to lunacy.

And the Americans had a plan to seize Saudi Oil Fields.

Algeria, land of a million martyrs, has relations with the French.

America supported Panama independence from Columbia.

France support American independence from the UK.

Italy back-stabbed Germany & Austria during WW1.

The List goes on bro.

It's common knowledge the US gave Pakistan the intel, there's no harm in admitting it.

First of all, you don't need to be afraid of me...I don't get into personal insults and attack especially if someone is serious and I see you as a serious poster / member and I respect your opinion and on some points we might have likelihood of the possibility of agreement to some extent though it may be in the limit tending to zero. But since you have exaggerated and disregarded the facts that's why I have to answer to your post so that no one gets misled

I don't know what you have been taught in your schools but at least I was not taught to hate Israel to the extent of wiping it out from the face of the Earth..but I'm not an expert on Pakistani education system...I just attended school in Pakistan till grade 4.

No we are not following KSA rather KSA has good relations, albeit covert, with Israel and if we are following anyone...that will be Iran...But I can see you will nodding your head in negative...and I agree with you it is not Iran..we are not following them...These are Pakistan's own principles and wishes of the people and many have tried in past especially Mushy and he was met with so much friction from the people of Pakistan that he had to give up the plan immediately. So the Mullah you are talking about is factually the vast majority of this nation and I think you believe in democracy...if not then you should consider relocation / migration

Participation of Pakistani pilots in Arab-Israel war was not a state policy but voluntary and only limited to defending the airspace of Arab countries and not attacking Israel....so get that fact right....Google it and you will be able to watch the interviews of those pilots on youtube.

You cannot possibly liken the creation of Pakistan with Israel's as the former was created through a political struggle for the Muslims of Indian subcontinent...who were the native people of subcontinent or living for centuries.

Israel was created by the British through military intervention and Jews were brought there from all over the world..I think you are not goof enough to believe that the Ashkenazi Jews are original inhabitants of the region Right? so Israel was created through an illegal occupation and still the problem is growing as the process of colonisation is still going on and Palestinian territory is constantly shrinking along with the worst possible human rights violations and genocide.
I think you should get some quality books on history since the education system you have been through didn't do much for raising your knowledge of history. Just for gibing a hint....even Kenya was considered for housing an Israel.

Furthermore, Israel has an expansionist agenda and that is very clear and their most fundamental policy..to create a greater Israel as per their pre-historic state of King Solomon and David and they won't be content until they achieve that.

Now their plan to attack was not limited to some whiteboard simulation....no man...they factually executed and Israeli fighter-jets had arrived at Indian airbases but it was foiled due to some friendly country helped shared intel with Pakistan and then Pakistan responded and conveyed the message of dire consequences to both India and Israel through proper channels and thus putting an end to lunacy....perhaps you know or not that Israel successfully destroyed Iraq's nuclear plant...I would say it was nothing short of divine intervention that Pakistan's nuclear program has survived...

In the past, when Muslims conquered Jerusalem, they gave a general amnesty and especially protected Jews against the crusaders....I don't know what will they do in future but I know exactly what they did in the past for sure.

And would like to elaborate how Pakistan's recognition of Israel with improve the peace in the region...since I don't see Pakistan and Israel fighting with each other how I need some clear evidence to understand your point...

I think I have refuted most of your points through knowledge and logical counter arguments and kept my word and I would expect you to do the same and suggest you do some reading.

Regards,
WnP
@salarsikander @Khafee
Excellent post deserves a green tick imo.
@Moonlight @django @Mentee
@Zibago

@war&peace

One inaccuracy. No Israeli aircraft had come to India. The US scuttled Israeli plans by telling them to back off as Soviets were beginning to enter Afghanistan.

It is a popular Pakistani misconception that the strike got called off due to Pakistan treatening Israel wih retaliation or India with same. Pakistan was told later by US.

The only reason why India was not keen was retaliation would have come and would have triggered a major war, and Israel did not want a repeat of Suez Adventure of 1956.

That is why these fucking rats are untrustworthy. They have always been and will continue to in the future, look for opportunities to harm Pakistan.

Radchenko says that documents in the Hungarian archives show that the Soviets had shared with the Hungarians India’s plans to attack Kahuta.

Last week, the US State department declassified its top-secret documents from 1984-85 which focus on the Pakistani nuclear programme. The CIA analysis, and the talking points for the US Ambassador to Islamabad while handing over President Ronald Reagan’s letter to General Zia-ul Haq, show that the US warned Pakistan about an Indian military attack on the Pakistani nuclear reactor at Kahuta.

But the Americans were not alone in anticipating an Indian attack. Prof Rajesh Rajagopalan of JNU recently pointed to The End of the Cold War and the Third World: New Perspectives on Regional Conflict, a book by Sergey Radchenko and Artemy M. Kalinovsky based on the declassified documents of the Eastern Block. Radchenko says that documents in the Hungarian archives show that the Soviets had shared with the Hungarians India’s plans to attack Kahuta.

In his book, India’s Nuclear Policy —1964-98: A Personal Recollection, K Subrahmanyam recollected that the Indian proposal to Pakistan for non-attack on each other’s nuclear facilities, which he suggested to Rajiv Gandhi, was an outcome of such rumours in the Western media. Although the ‘Agreement on the Non-Attack of Nuclear Facilities between Indian and Pakistan’ was first verbally agreed upon in 1985, it was formally signed in 1988 and ratified in 1991. Since 1992, India and Pakistan have been exchanging the list of their nuclear facilities on January 1 every year.

But how close was India to attacking Kahuta in the 1980s? The first time India is believed to have considered such an attack is in 1981. The idea obviously originated from the daring Israeli attack of June 7, 1981, that destroyed the under-construction Iraqi nuclear reactor at Osirak. Eight F-16s of the Israeli Air Force flew more than 600 miles in the skies of three enemy nations to destroy the target and returned unscathed.

In 1996, WPS Sidhu, senior fellow for foreign policy at Brookings India, was the first to state that after the induction of Jaguars, Indian Air Force (IAF) had conducted a brief study in June 1981 on the feasibility of attacking Kahuta. The study concluded that India could “attack and neutralise” Kahuta but feared that such an attack would result in a full-blown war between India and Pakistan. This was besides the concerns that an Indian attack will beget an immediate retaliatory — some say, even pre-emptive — Pakistani air strike on Indian nuclear facilities.

In their book, Deception: Pakistan, the United States and the Global Nuclear Conspiracy, Adrian Levy and Catherine Scott-Clark claim that Indian military officials secretly travelled to Israel in February 1983 to buy electronic warfare equipment to neutralise Kahuta’s air defences. Israel reportedly also provided India with technical details of the F-16 aircraft in exchange for Indians providing them some details about the MiG-23 aircraft. In mid- to late-1983, according to strategic affairs expert Bharat Karnad, Indira Gandhi asked the IAF once again to plan for an air strike on Kahuta.

The mission was cancelled after Pakistani nuclear scientist Munir Ahmed Khan met Indian Atomic Energy Commission chief-designate Raja Ramanna at an international meet in Vienna and threatened a retaliatory strike on Bhabha Atomic Research Centre at Trombay.

The next time India is believed to have seriously considered attacking Kahuta was in September-October 1984. Details of the Pakistani nuclear programme crossing the weaponisation enrichment threshold had then begun to emerge. As seen from documents declassified last week, on September 16, 1984, US Ambassador Dean Hinton told Zia that if the US were to see signs that India was preparing for an attack, they would notify Pakistan immediately.

On September 22, a reliable source from a foreign country — later assumed to be the CIA Deputy Director — reported to the Pakistani top brass that there was the possibility of an Indian air strike. The same day, ABC television also reported that a preemptive Indian attack on Pakistani nuclear facilities was imminent, which was based on a briefing made by the CIA to a US Senate intelligence subcommittee.

But India did not go ahead with its plans to attack Kahuta because the element of surprise was lost. According to Subrahmanyam, an increase in air defences around Kahuta was “proof, if any more were needed, that our covert intentions to hit Kahuta were not secret anymore”.

It has also been rumoured that Israeli air force was part of the plans to attack Kahuta in 1984 because it did not want to see an “Islamic Bomb” developed by Pakistan. Israel was supposed to lead this attack and not merely play the role of advising the IAF. Bharat Karnad has written that Israeli aircraft were to be staged from Jamnagar airfield in Gujarat, refuel at a satellite airfield in North India and track the Himalayas to avoid early radar detection, but Indira Gandhi eventually vetoed the idea. Levy and Scott-Clark though claim that Indira Gandhi had signed off on the Israeli-led operation in March 1984 but backed off after the US state department warned India “the US will be responsive if India persists”.

Conversations with some people associated with the IAF in the early 1980s support the idea of an Israeli connection to Indian plans to attack Kahuta. It tells us that India had seriously considered attacking Kahuta three decades ago but chose not to, mainly due to the fears of a retaliatory Pakistani strike on Trombay and the danger of an isolated strike escalating into a full-blown war.

http://indianexpress.com/article/ex...litary-attack-on-a-pakistani-nuclear-reactor/

@war&peace

One inaccuracy. No Israeli aircraft had come to India. The US scuttled Israeli plans by telling them to back off as Soviets were beginning to enter Afghanistan.

It is a popular Pakistani misconception that the strike got called off due to Pakistan treatening Israel wih retaliation or India with same. Pakistan was told later by US.

The only reason why India was not keen was retaliation would have come and would have triggered a major war, and Israel did not want a repeat of Suez Adventure of 1956.

I will look into that if some credible source is available but as per my current knowledge, is that Israeli F-16 were actually present on the forward airbases of India but I know that India was not too keen since they know that the retaliation would be on India most likely and thus Israel was scapegoating India for its designs....

Just off topic...now uncle sam is scapegoating India against China....Why does India allow it to be used like that? Perhaps for some benefits and I guess Israel would have promised similar benefits at that time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom