What's new

India already the myth-making world superpower

Areesh

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In the early years of this century, people — within and outside India — began speaking of our country emerging as a ‘knowledge superpower’. The proximate reason for this was the country’s then rising software industry.

As that sturdy bellwether of the conventional wisdom, Thomas Friedman of the New York Times, wrote in 2005, India, once ‘known as a country of snake charmers, poor people, and Mother Teresa’, was being ‘recalibrated’ as ‘a country of brainy people and computer wizards’. This ‘recalibration’ was eagerly lapped up by the Indian press, with mass-circulation magazines running cover stories entitled ‘Global Champs’ and ‘On the Way to Number One’. It was argued that while Chinese growth depended on sweated labour, the Indian miracle was driven by knowledge and hence of greater worth — as well as more sustainable in the long run.

I heard this talk with some bemusement. I was living in Bangalore, presented as the ‘centre’ of the ‘knowledge revolution’ allegedly sweeping my country. But I suspected that writing code was not necessarily the same thing as producting original scientific knowledge. And I knew for a fact that Bangalore itself did not have a single decent library, while the city’s main university had not produced much original research in the past three decades. To be sure, there were isolated examples of excellence. In my city, we had the Indian Institute of Science and the National Centre for Biological Sciences, both reasonably well-functioning centres of scientific research. Elsewhere in my country, there were such places as the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research in Mumbai, and the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology in Hyderabad. And both Delhi University and Jawaharlal Nehru University had some fine social scientists and historians on their faculty. Yet in the aggregate, the quality and quantity of cutting-edge research was woefully meagre for a country as large as ours. The talk of India becoming a ‘knowledge superpower’ was not just premature. It was, frankly, absurd.

My long-standing skepticism in this regard got a renewed boost when I read a recent report in Hindustan Times about the annual Indian Science Congress, held this year in Mumbai. For the first time, the Congress had a session on science in ancient India. This in itself was welcome, for the history of science is a somewhat undeveloped field in this country. And in certain areas, such as medicine and mathematics, our ancestors had elaborated sophisticated methods of analysis — later surpassed, but in their time often in advance of what was happening in other parts of the world.

Unfortunately, the contributions to this session were not by scholars who had carefully studied the evidence, but ideologues who extrapolated from ancient myths to make extravagant claims about their veracity. So one speaker claimed that the sages Agastya and Bharadwaja had invented aeroplanes which flew not just forward, but backwards and sideways as well. A further, and even more fantastic claim was that these planes were piloted by men for whom had been designed ‘virus-proof, water-proof, and shock-proof’ jackets.

While inaugurating a super-modern hospital in Mumbai some months ago, Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke of how the existence of Lord Ganesha proved that the ancient Hindus had invented the art of plastic surgery. :lol: Some thought he was speaking jocularly. But these speakers at the Science Congress were in deadly earnest. Plastic surgery had indeed been invented in ancient India, they insisted. The ancient Hindus even knew how to conduct nuclear explosions.

As it happened, shortly after I read these news reports about the Science Congress’s most interesting (and most controversial) session, I came across an interview in the Chennai magazine Fountain Ink with Y Sudershan Rao, the new Chairman of the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR). Here, Professor Rao dismissed modern methods of historical enquiry — based on evidence from manuscipts, inscriptions, and artefacts found through detailed archaeological explorations — as ‘Western inspired’. He said that historians should instead treat texts such as the Vedas as ‘the best evidence’ for reconstructing the past.

Professor Rao’s appointment as head of the ICHR was widely criticised at the time, for he has published not a single scholarly paper in a peer-reviewed journal. This interview does reveal him as a rather special kind of ‘historian’, whose own models are (in his words) ‘people like Valmiki [who] were scholars documenting their lives. We believe that they are rishis, who know the past, present and the future’.

Mahatma Gandhi once said that the Mahabharata should be seen as allegorical rather than a work of history. Most Indians take this as a sensible approach to what is a gloriously detailed epic, rich in poetry, allegory and moral teachings, but not necessarily history as we know it. But Professor Rao is in little doubt that the incidents described in the Mahabharata actually happened. He hopes that the ICHR, under his leadership, will make the Mahabharata the ‘anchor for the History of Bharat’.

Such are Professor Rao’s ambitions for the ICHR. As for his own intellectual interests, these are best captured in the title of one of his research projects, namely: ‘Proposed application of Pendulum Theory of Oscillation between Spirituality and Materialism based on the Cosmic Phenomenon and Indian Yuga (Epoch) Systemic Approach, to the Historical Research’.

The Republic of India is not becoming a scientific superpower any time soon. We may however console ourselves that we are already the myth-making superpower of the world

India already the myth-making world superpower

:lol:

This is the reality of Indian IT prowess

Techies to software slaves
Joeanna RebelloJoeanna Rebello,TNN | Jan 18, 2015, 05.29 AM IST

The nightmarish story of the 'indentured' Indian tech worker in America has found its most recent rendering in a graphic novel published by The Center for Investigative Reporting, a non-profit American organization.
An investigation exposes the murky underbelly of Indian H-1B visa holders 'indentured' in America.

Here's a Janus image for you. On the one side, half a dozen H-1B workers bunkered in a choked 'guesthouse' in America, anxious to be summoned by their labour broker to a job they know will pay discriminatory wages and mean long hours. When they do get the job, the broker often pockets a cut and can even sue if the employee quits or switches jobs.

Cut to India where hundreds of young men line up outside the offices of the very same labour brokers, ready to pay out large sums for their American dream.

The nightmarish story of the 'indentured' Indian tech worker in America has found its most recent rendering in a graphic novel published by The Center for Investigative Reporting (CIR), a non-profit American organization. A Pulitzer Prize finalist in 2012 and 2013, CIR may just be in the running again for its work on the mercenary practices of the tech 'in-sourcing' industry, which thrives on the inflow of highly-skilled Indian tech workers on H-1B visas.

CIR's graphic novel has been scripted and sketched by Silicon Valley reporter Matt Smith, who along with fellow journalist Gollan, spells out the tech staffing firms' damning five-point modus operandi - 1. Companies lure Indian workers to the US with phantom jobs. 2. Workers are often unpaid (brokers withhold salaries). 3. Brokers demand cash for visas. 4. Workers often feel pressure to "spice up," or falsify, their resumes (brokers often suggest they do this in order to get hired). 5. Bonding and penalties are heaped on workers who quit. They also write about the culpability of US government departments that have looked past H-1B violations.

Smith and his colleagues, Jennifer Gollan and Adithya Sambamurthy, spent a large part of their year-long investigation tracking down workers who would actually talk to them. "The wall of silence from Indian IT workers can only be compared with attempting to investigate an organization under a strict Omerta," says Smith on email. "Early on I was writing and calling people I found through LinkedIn and Nexis, and databases such as Benchfolks, chat rooms such as MyVisajobs and Goolti.com, and a list of industry contacts used by labour brokers. Ultimately, it turned out that the most effective way to find workers willing to talk was to go physically to local courthouses with a digital scanner in hand, seeking to find lawsuits involving suspect companies."

Few victims are willing to challenge staffing companies or employers in court because judgments against Indian workers who have 'violated' their contracts by switching jobs or quitting before time can incur penalties in excess of $50,000, CIR discovered.

Gobi Muthuperiasamy took that risk. The software engineer from Madurai spent three years in court when his labour broker sued him for switching jobs. Although Muthuperiasamy won the case, and didn't have to pay his broker a penny, he was still poorer by $25,000 in legal costs.

Muthuperiasamy is among the few who have fought back. Others are anonymously outing their employers. 'Client charged 87.5/hr. I am paid 30/hr. 10,000 USD bond in India. I hate my life' are among gripes posted on the CIR site and are standard fare on peer forums like Goolti.com, Nostops.org and Immigrationvoice.org. Rajiv Dhabadkar, founder of the advisory National Organisation for Software & Technology Professionals (NO STOPS) claims the website receives about 300-400 posts every day, often anonymous, detailing work-related horrors. "I recommend younger students look elsewhere, at Australia perhaps," says Dhabadkar.

You'd think these cautionary tales would dispel H-1B queues. But the cap of 65,000 H-1B visas for 2015 was met in five days last year. Indian nationals received more than 67% of all H-1B visas, and more than 28% of all L-1 visas (a more specialized work permit) issued worldwide. "The US Mission in India issued more than 1,00,000 H-1B visas in FY 2014, more than at any other time in history," a US Consulate General Chennai spokesperson says.

But media reports like CIR's have shaped the campaign for visa reform in America. While Obama's Executive Order on immigration last month largely addresses the issue of undocumented immigrants, it also allowed the documented, highly-skilled immigrant job mobility, transfer of Green Card application across jobs, permitting some spouses to work, revising and expanding anti-discrimination provisions of immigration law and providing more comprehensive anti-retaliation protections.

"It's a harsh world for the H-1B, like bonded labour. While there's a whole industry built on telling you how to score this visa, no one tells you what comes after," says Vikram Desai, vice-president of Immigration Voice, an advocacy group set up by Indian tech workers to campaign for equal rights for high-skilled immigrants in the US. "We think coming to America is a step forward. And we're okay with not having equal rights and not having our spouses work. We should learn from the Latin Americans, who rally together and campaign for their rights despite being undocumented immigrants," says Desai.

Seems the offshoring party is also over. Nobody thought that offshoring will last for ever but problem with Indians was that they started spending like a super power specially on defense and now only some of these big multi billion defense have come to fruition and the rest are stuck up creating bigs gaps in their defense planning.

15,000 pink slips in the tech corridor and still counting
Bangalore Mirror Bureau | Jan 17, 2015, 06.26 PM IST

At least 15,000 techies have lost their jobs in Bengaluru in the last one year.
Times of India
Already reeling under layoffs by software giants TCS, Cisco and others, the city's tech community was delivered a knockout punch on Wednesday with news that Luxembourg-based mortage and financial services software company, Altisource, has issued pink slips to over 300 techies at its Electronics City campus here on Wednesday.

Though Altisource did not issue any official statement, the news spread like wildfire, triggering panic among the already jittery workforce.

However, the development was confirmed after Bangalore Mirror spoke to a couple of Altisource employees. "Even in my wildest dreams, I had not imagined I would be thrown out of my job...my world turned topsy-turvy in just 20 minutes when I was summoned in the afternoon and given the march orders. I did not know how to react. I could see some of my sacked colleagues crying aloud, some begging with the HR personnel to give them time and some reacting angrily," said Rohit (name changed on request), an assistant manager with seven years of work experience.

Rohit's dilemma now is to break the news to his family and deal with the aftermath. "What do I tell my family? How will I pay my car and housing loans?" He is worried about landing another job.

He can draw measure of comfort from numbers, however. According to industry trackers, at least 15,000 techies have lost their jobs in Bengaluru in the last one year. "The frequency of layoffs has increased. From IBM, Dell, Cisco to HP, almost all the big companies have cut jobs. The latest being the TCS layoffs, which has culminated in techies hittting the streets to protest," says an industry tracker. In fact, sacked TCS employees have planned a protest meeting in front of the Town Hall on Saturday.

If losing their jobs wasn't bad enough, being terminated for 'under performance', widely brandished by most companies, seems like the unkindest cut. Companies, though, maintain they are cutting jobs as part of market expansion and growth strategy which involves getting rid of redundant employees. Altisource, which has reportedly cut down jobs at its facility in Boston, US, issued a statement there that read: "After a comprehensive process to evaluate the most effective way to pursue continued expansion in light of changing market conditions, we have made the difficult but necessary decision to realign our employee base with the growth opportunities in front of Altisource."

Meanwhile, its employees in Bengaluru have lashed out at the "inhuman and cruel" treatment. "First of all there was no prior notice. We were just asked to leave immediately. Two months compensation is just not enough. If the company cannot accommodate us then why did it have a massive recruiting drive just two months back?," said Kaushal (name changed).

Bangalore Mirror wrote to Altisource for its comments, but the company did not respond.

The Karnataka government has taken note of the retrenchment and the rising fear factor among the city's tech population. While labour minister, Parameshwara Naik, admitted several tech companies were seeking permission to issue pink slips, Information Technology minister, S R Patil, said it was nonetheless "a major cause of worry as we want to compete with Silicon Valley (in the USA)." Patil said they would soon convene a meeting with industry representatives to discuss the issue.

Nasscom downplayed the fears stating it was a part of the routine clean-up process at software companies. Ashok Pamidi, regional head, Nasscom said Karnataka was facing a demand-supply challenge. "Right now, Bangalore needs 46,000 skilled and job-ready people to work in the industry. The reason for the layoffs in individual companies might be because of completion of a project or internal reshuffling. The industry is doing well and there are no signs of a slowdown," he said.

A dangerous bell curve, says ITEC
"IT employees would never have thought of 'bell curve' being so dangerous. Companies have been terminating employees with a 'C' rating, which stands for 'met expectations'. But even when the employees who get the lowest rating are terminated, the termination would not stand the test of law if they are not given a chance. While employees are terminated for "skill mismatch", companies like TCS go on recruiting new employees for the same skill. It is high time IT employees muster the courage to challenge these unethical and illegal practices by companies. IT Employees Centre (ITEC) asks the respective governments to intervene in the issue immediately to protect the right of employees to work and also to ensure transparent processes in the IT industry in the long run." (ITEC is a rights body for techies)

More job cuts on the anvil?
The labour department appears to have been aware of the layoff wave in IT companies in the city. Speaking to Bangalore Mirror, Labour Minister, PT Parameshwara Naik said, "Every company has to obtain prior permission or keep the department in the loop about intended lay offs. Some companies have taken permission and informed us about their decision to lay off employees." When asked about the details of such companies, Naik refused to divulge the information saying the companies came under the purview of the IT, BT department.

'Not a 2008-like situation'
"The layoffs happening right now are part of the clean-up process. Every company does this every two to three years when they ask non-performing employees to leave. Also, one of the operations of Altisource has been transferred to US. While I am not sure of the exact number, an operation can have 200 to 300 employees who might have been sacked. However, there is no need to worry. The IT industry is doing well. We are not in situation like 2008 where people will be sitting jobless for a year. People will find jobs immediately. If not in Bangalore, they will surely land jobs in Mysore, Hubli or Mangaluru. It is just that people will move from Company A to Company B." —Kris Lakshmikant, Managing Director, Head Hunters India

CM to convene meet with industry honchos
Taking cognisance of the massive retrenchment, a worried state government has decided to call a meeting with industry honchos to take stock of the situation and put in place damage-control measures. Speaking to Bangalore Mirror, Karnataka's IT/BT minister, S R Patil, said, "The layoffs are shocking, especially since they come at a time when the state is planning to compete with the Silicon Valley in the US by attracting more investors and also creating an employee-friendly environment." Patil expressed concern that the largescale pink slips would send out the wrong message and spread panic among the workforce. Stressing that the government was serious about tackling the problem, he said the CM would soon address a meeting of representatives from the industry and laid off workers, besides government officials, to discuss the way forward. "A decision will be taken on safeguarding the social security of techies."

By: Apurva Venkat

still better than being the terrorist factory of the world
we are good at making so called techie slaves & they are best at making good mujahideens..We both are good at something..

Haters gonna hate, this thread is nothing less than a self-satisfaction thread.
Yep there are some problems, but the fact is even we solve them, the haters gonna hate more :P
they are desperate to insult India, they are desperate to really listen something bad about India and then laugh, they are desperate to see Indian poverty and again laugh without looking at their own country.
actually I am pretty good at psychology, so I can analyze what is going there in haters mind, searching all the day to get some negative point about us and then laugh :P

We export stuff from software to steel. Some export terror! :P And I smell a lot of a$$es burning out here! :D

Haters gonna hate & I wonder why Pakistanis are so obsessed with the word Superpower

Is it not wrong on part of India to call itself a superpower without providing safe havens to terrorists? hain? How dare India think of being a superpower without having petrol crisis, electricity crisis, and living on aid from Amreeka? hain? I condomn this.

This is a thread to take consolation. Yes, India is not going to be a supe power. This can give some consolation till india emerges as a super power.

Yes the great nation of India. The only country in the world that needs UN nations help to learn how to $hit.

Take the poo to the Loo: The UNICEF campaign to make our nation a cleaner and sanitised place | Latest News & Gossip on Popular Trends at India.com

You can feel happy about your exports but first learn to take care of your dead. Every society in the world has learned basic lessons on personal hygiene and keeping the environment healthy except for India. This is not any criminal or marginal activity but mainstream acceptable practices. We have our challenges and we will get over them and we are calling ourselves a super powers. It is the Indian who are deluding themselves as super powers when they have not even learned basic practices needed to be considered civilized.

100 bodies recovered from Ganga, Centre seeks info from UP govt - The Times of India

Its a cultural thing

Muslim mortality paradox and the importance of sanitation for children - Livemint

Yes the great nation of India. The only country in the world that needs UN nations help to learn how to $hit.

Take the poo to the Loo: The UNICEF campaign to make our nation a cleaner and sanitised place | Latest News & Gossip on Popular Trends at India.com

You can feel happy about your exports but first learn to take care of your dead. Every society in the world has learned basic lessons on personal hygiene and keeping the environment healthy except for India. This is not any criminal or marginal activity but mainstream acceptable practices. We have our challenges and we will get over them and we are calling ourselves a super powers. It is the Indian who are deluding themselves as super powers when they have not even learned basic practices needed to be considered civilized.

100 bodies recovered from Ganga, Centre seeks info from UP govt - The Times of India

Its a cultural thing

Muslim mortality paradox and the importance of sanitation for children - Livemint

Look who is talking about toilets!

Over 43 million people in Pakistan defecate in the open

Islamabad

Toilets are still out of reach for more than one-third of the global population. In Pakistan, more than 43 million people defecate in the open, with devastating consequences for the health and development of children, says the United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) on World Toilet Day, which is being observed worldwide today (Tuesday).

Over 43 million people in Pakistan defecate in the open - thenews.com.pk

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom