What's new

India abruptly puts off border talks with China

mastaan

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: India took the unusual step of postponing boundary talks with China scheduled for next week. Though no reasons were given, sources hinted the decision was taken at the highest levels of the government. This is the first time in all these years that the boundary talks have been postponed.

In a cryptic statement, MEA spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said, "We are looking forward to the 15th round of Special Representative talks in the near future and the two sides remain in touch to find convenient dates for the meeting." China's envoy Dai Bingguo was scheduled to be in India for the 15th round of special representatives' talks with Shivshankar Menon, national security adviser, starting November 28. While some sources said it was a scheduling problem, the fact that India called off the talks just two days before the dialogue indicated the issue was more serious.

The last-minute postponement raised eyebrows here. The SRs were scheduled to discuss and set in place a mechanism to maintain peace and tranquility on the border pending a settlement. During the recent meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Chinese counterpart Wen Jiabao, the boundary issue had come up for discussion, where the two leaders were reportedly looking forward to establish the new initiative.

However, Indian government sources had indicated that China's position on Jammu & Kashmir was a point of growing concern for New Delhi. The dissonance between the two sides happened after the East Asia Summit in Bali. Sources said the Chinese side had raised some demands that India found unacceptable. But both sides were keeping mum on the issue.

In Beijing, the Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson too was vague. Responding to a journalist's question on the upcoming border talks, he said, "Currently, the two sides are still in touch on the specific arrangements including the date of the meeting and I do not have information at this stage."

The SRs are working on developing a framework for the settlement of the boundary dispute. It will be on the basis of this framework that the actual border contours will be drawn.

India abruptly puts off border talks with China - The Times of India

Whats cooking here now? Doesn't sound like a good diplomatic way to do something and still both sides are silent... :no::no::no:

these talks are useless,India and china are neither enemies nor friends,both nation has to carve there own path.

Maybe USA factor affecting the talks.

I don't think that our leaders have started going by the 'pressure from the US System', else we would have been already in a military alliance with them... I defintely give our beaurocracy more respect than that... But i am still confused why such a thing??? there has to be something to it, to cancel or postpone such a sensitive (howmuchsoever irrelevant it may be) meeting and which side has called it offf

what the f***

This should not be done, its not diplomatic moves, after several good diplomatic moves in last couple of months

Yes i definitely support the talks.
Though china and india are playing their own games, talks should be always be given a priority.
As talks will definitely help to ease tension during crucial times.
Niether china nor india wants war so talks should be continued.

Long live China India friendhsip

Doesnt really matter. Talks lead no where, especially with China. Lets build strong border infra and keep the Chinese at bay

Talk or no talk, nothing is gonna happen. China still wants the whole of AP for themselves and will not rest until they gets it. So better save the money spent on talking just for the sake of talking.

Nobody is about to put a $100 billion possible trade relationship at risk to start something that may not even achieve a desired result.

LOL, "possible" $100 billion trade relationship? :rofl: What's the point of trying to bank on things that might or might not happen in the future? The current Sino-Indian trade is around $60 billion.

In comparison, the current trade between mainland China and the small island of Hong Kong is around $200 billion a year. (China's largest trading partners are Europe, USA and Japan.)

For India, China is your largest trading partner. However that is clearly not true the other way around.

i think the main purpose of this talk is to avoid unnecessary border conflict before the next round of talk ......neither side will make a concession on this issue

Back
Top Bottom