What's new

India 100 years back Pics

I'll try to find that out, give me some time.

Thanks, do you know that there was a man living in Calcutta called P. Thankappan Nair (known locally as PT-da) He was a sort of "barefoot historian" of Calcutta. He pored through the books and records in the National Library and wrote/actually compiled books of Calcutta's history. They were admirable efforts considering that he was not an academic by background. i had managed to trace him on a professional visit to Calcutta and meet him (once). Have one of his books-"Calcutta in the 18th Century" in my collection.

Thanks, do you know that there was a man living in Calcutta called P. Thankappan Nair (known locally as PT-da) He was a sort of "barefoot historian" of Calcutta. He pored through the books and records in the National Library and wrote/actually compiled books of Calcutta's history. They were admirable efforts considering that he was not an academic by background. i had managed to trace him on a professional visit to Calcutta and meet him (once). Have one of his books-"Calcutta in the 18th Century" in my collection.

It seems you're kind of person who's been there, done that! :p

Do you have a digital copy of the book?

It seems you're kind of person who's been there, done that! :p

Do you have a digital copy of the book?

No, it is in hard copy, maybe i should scan it.
Take a look in Oxford Bookstore on Park Street or Sea-gull on free School Street, next to where the Dunlop HQ used to be; might find some copies. (Do these bookstores exist now- i'm talking of the 70s and 80s).
If these places have disappeared, then blame it on an "old fogey" like me.

No, it is in hard copy, maybe i should scan it.
Take a look in Oxford Bookstore on Park Street or Sea-gull on free School Street, next to where the Dunlop HQ used to be; might find some copies. (Do these bookstores exist now- i'm talking of the 70s and 80s).
If these places have disappeared, then blame it on an "old fogey" like me.

I don't think Oxford or Sea-Gulls will have it, don't know if they still exists; now we have landmarks and crosswords all over the city in various malls where you get fancy Paulo Coelho, Sydney Sheldons and that Chetan dude, there's no escape from him. I'll check old book stores in College Street as well. Thanks for the reco. :tup:

I don't think Oxford or Sea-Gulls will have it, don't know if they still exists, now we have landmarks and crosswords all over the city in various mall where you get fancy Paulo Coelho, Sydney Sheldons and that Chetan dude, there's no escape from him. I'll check old book stores in College Street as well. Thanks for the reco. :tup:

Yes of course, College street- that is the place, you might hit pay dirt there. Does the coffee house still exist? Some (Kolkata) friends of mine who had direct connection with arts and other similar intellectual pursuits (which i don't) went there quite regularly. i enjoyed it too except for the heavy "passive smoking" that i had to endure.

Yes of course, College street- that is the place, you might hit pay dirt there. Does the coffee house still exist? Some (Kolkata) friends of mine who had direct connection with arts and other similar intellectual pursuits (which i don't) went there quite regularly. i enjoyed it too except for the heavy "passive smoking" that i had to endure.

It very well does... I was there just a few years back (maybe around 2006)... still carries the rustic old charm. I could feel how so many people got inspired in its atmosphere. :tup:

Yeah that still exists and still a mecca for new born aantels(if that is the word you're too polite to say) :D

It very well does... I was there just a few years back (maybe around 2006)... still carries the rustic old charm. I could feel how so many people got inspired in its atmosphere. :tup:

rustic old charm my ***! :D even the waiters there seem to be elites! :D You'll get coffee after atleast 20 min and the guy who serves you won't take away your used cups for some unknown reasons! :lol:

rustic old charm my ***! :D even the waiters there seem to be elites! :D You'll get coffee after atleast 20 min and the guy who serves you won't take away your used cups for some unknown reasons! :lol:
Hahaaa... :P OK I will modify my opinion and add "apart from the service"... Who goes there for the service anyways... it is only for the atmosphere. You can get better food elsewhere.

Yeah that still exists and still a mecca for new born aantels(if that is the word you're too polite to say) :D

i know that word very well (in my somewhat limited vocabulary). No, was'nt being polite, could'nt remember it.
Neither was i being sarcastic about my local friends. They were people of some genuine intellectual accomplishments- though some of them did in fact give me the impression that they were still figuring out whether to take Life "by the horns or by the tail".
But OK.

Taj Mahal:
rare-india01.jpg

Agra:
rare-india08.jpg

Amritsar Golden Temple:
rare-india09.jpg

Jama Masjid, Delhi:
rare-india12.jpg

Last edited:
Lahore Fort (Shahi Qila)

LahoreFort.jpg

Badshahi Masjid with Ranjit Singhs Samadhi to the right (pic taken from inside the Qila, think its Sheesh Mehel)

15hkd2u.jpg

Zamzamah Cannon

207t4e8.jpg

Sunehri Masjid (Golden Mosque), Old City, Lahore (close to Rangmehel) prayed many Eid prayers there :D

3907369391_107a5fcfeb.jpg

Portrait of same Mosque

3952330564_d89ef044d5.jpg

Mughal Emperor Jehangir's Tomb, 1860 Lahore

l9.gif

Back
Top Bottom