What's new

India’s first Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle being tested

I dont understand, why people like icebombs and party are so jealous of any development in India that they start questiong us before going through information available on internet. It is just a blind discussion, we are feeding them with infos. I am strictly against it.

Circular logic.

The K-15 is an acknowledged derivative of the Shaurya (IIRC).

and buddy, 700km in 500 seconds is 5833.33333 km/h, nowhere near mach 7.5. You need to go back to maths class. I wager that mach 7.5 is it's maximum speed, it's likely far, far slower on it's ascent to it's 40000m altitude.

Dude, you need to take it up with your indian "jounalist". I am not the one said that shaurya is a hypesonic cruisemissile. Nor that it travelled 700 km in 500 secs.
If you accept the fact that mach 7,5 is its maximum speed on terminal phase, then you also agree it is a ballistic missile , not a cruise missile.

I dont understand, why people like icebombs and party are so jealous of any development in India that they start questiong us before going through information available on internet. It is just a blind discussion, we are feeding them with infos. I am strictly against it.

Truth hurts, kid. I have provided you with links.

Dude, you need to take it up with your indian "jounalist". I am not the one said that shaurya is a hypesonic cruisemissile. Nor that it travelled 700 km in 500 secs.
If you accept the fact that mach 7,5 is its maximum speed on terminal phase, then you also agree it is a ballistic missile , not a cruise missile.

All S2S missiles are fastest during their terminal phase. The Shauryas average speed is still Mach5+ (hypersonic for the uninitiated). It is likely fastest during its terminal dive.

Nobody here claimed that Shaurya was a hypersonic cruise missile. The claim was that it was a hypersonic missile, the counter claim from you and kin was that that the Shaurya is just another BM, which it is not.

Because it makes me feel better about myself :P

Tsk tsk. You are mistaken sloppy indian journalisme for real facts.

The missile rose on the dot at 2.30 p.m. from a canister strapped on to the ground, climbed to an altitude of 40 km and sped at 7.5 Mach, that is, 7.5 times the speed of sound. It covered its full range of 700 km in 500 seconds.

That poor soul just divided the distance with the duration and come up with the 7,5 mark. Read it more carefully.

I advised you to do your Maths, so you divided the distance with Duration and you go the speed 7.5? Interesting.

I still wonder where the missile lost its 3 minutes going by your logic.

Shourya is the land-variant of India's K-15 missile which is launched under the water and is being fitted into the Navy's nuclear-powered submarine, Arihant.
k-15 is a ballistic missile.

Well its the same media which is keeping us all in dark. The Shourya was just a canister testing platform for K-15. I still do not get why it was made for It was once reveled that K-15 came first and then the Shaurya.

The Land Version of K-15 has its own advantages of being a quasi ballistic missile with the characteristics of a cruise platform.

The inside story of SLBM K-15 » Indian Defence Review
The 27th Jan test-firing saw the K-15’s first-stage solid-fuel rocket booster being ignited inside a pontoon-based silo 20 metres under water & being lifted up to an altitude of 7km. Then the second-stage solid-fuel rocket ignited & lifted the K-15/B-05 to an altitude of 40km, following which the K-15 adopted a depressed trajectory flight-path.

Same altitude as shourya, coincidence? only if you are an indian fanboy.

????o_Oo_O

Are you for the motion or against? You are allowing me no chance to figure that out?

Then comes this part.

The missile is ten metres long, 74 cm in diameter and weighs 6.2 tonnes. Its two stages use solid propellants.

A cruise missile? no freaking way. It is a ballistic missile.

Which Ballistic missile stays within the atmosphere and cruises in on target with the capability to change its course midway?

All S2S missiles are fastest during their terminal phase. The Shauryas average speed is still Mach5+, (hypersonic phase for the uninitiated).

Nobody here claimed that Shaurya was a hypersonic cruise missile. The claim was that it was a hypersonic missile, the counter claim from you and kin was that that the Shaurya is just another BM, which it is not.

Because it makes me feel better about myself :P

Using that logic then all ballistic missile is hypersonic because we can just use the average speed. This ignores the fact that ballistic missile and hypersonic vehicles are complete different.

Hypersonic missiles: Speed is the new stealth | The Economist

These hypersonic vehicles are not rockets, as ICBMs are, but work in a fundamentally different way. Rockets carry their own fuel, which includes the oxygen needed for combustion in airless space. This fuel is heavy, making rockets practical only for short, vertical flights into space. So engineers are trying to develop lightweight, “air breathing” hypersonic vehicles that can travel at rocket-like speeds while taking oxygen from the atmosphere, as a jet engine does, rather than having to carry it in the form of fuel oxidants.

Being able to sustain flight in the atmosphere at such speeds would have many benefits.

See the difference?

Truth hurts, kid. I have provided you with links.

I don't even know what is the basis of your argument, what exactly you want to discuss. LOL. You are being like a pendulum.

Using that logic then all ballistic missile is hypersonic because we can just use the average speed. This ignores the fact that ballistic missile and hypersonic vehicles are complete different.

Hypersonic missiles: Speed is the new stealth | The Economist

These hypersonic vehicles are not rockets, as ICBMs are, but work in a fundamentally different way. Rockets carry their own fuel, which includes the oxygen needed for combustion in airless space. This fuel is heavy, making rockets practical only for short, vertical flights into space. So engineers are trying to develop lightweight, “air breathing” hypersonic vehicles that can travel at rocket-like speeds while taking oxygen from the atmosphere, as a jet engine does, rather than having to carry it in the form of fuel oxidants.

Being able to sustain flight in the atmosphere at such speeds would have many benefits.

See the difference?

dude tell me the equation of simple lift drag and free fall in the influence of gravity of a powered flight. then you discuss it.

I advised you to do your Maths, so you divided the distance with Duration and you go the speed 7.5? Interesting.

I still wonder where the missile lost its 3 minutes going by your logic.

son, it is not my logic, it is how your indian journalist arrive to the conclusion.

Well its the same media which is keeping us all in dark. The Shourya was just a canister testing platform for K-15. I still do not get why it was made for It was once reveled that K-15 came first and then the Shaurya.

The Land Version of K-15 has its own advantages of being a quasi ballistic missile with the characteristics of a cruise platform.

It is a ballistic missile able to carry nukes. Nothing strange about it.

????o_Oo_O

Are you for the motion or against? You are allowing me no chance to figure that out?

Which Ballistic missile stays within the atmosphere and cruises in on target with the capability to change its course midway?

lol... CM-400AKG

I don't even know what is the basis of your argument, what exactly you want to discuss. LOL. You are being like a pendulum.

dude tell me the equation of simple lift drag and free fall in the influence of gravity of a powered flight. then you discuss it.
Learn to read. starting from my first post in this thread.

Brahmos 2 is a cruise missile, hstdv is a boost glide vehicle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how they can be compared.

Unless both vehicles have a scramjet?

What exactly it is?An aircraft?The article says that it is a vehicle......

This vehicle is only a technology demonstrator.. The aim is scramjet propulsion in 20 sec achieving 6.5 mach.. That is demonstrating and mastering 'scramjet engine' tech.. Scramjet engines have both civilian [can be used as reusable launch vehicles ,economical than rockets] and also have military purpose( eg- brahmos 2 scramjet engine driven cruise missile).. Usa, china, russia all developing this tech.. Scramjet engine is an air breathing reaction engine (just like a jet engine).. Both jet engine(turbofan) and scramjet engine are air breathing engine that is the oxygen is taken from atmosphere(only fuel is carrying) unlike a rocket(both fuel and oxydiser carrying).. In turbofan engine(aircraft engine) air compressed by a compressor driven by a turbine.. It is incapable of hypersonic flight because compressor actually never works at hypersonic speed(several reasons)... But in scramjet (also in ramjet) uses the speed itself for air compression.. There fore the scramjet only works properly after attaining a hypersonic speed.. That is a rocket must carry this vehicle to hyper sonic speed and required altitude before it starts working.. So a ballistic missile or a rocket is a must ..

LOL you sure dude?? Its not a Ballistic Missile in the first place
of course it is. No matter what Pakistan or China claims. same goes with the indian fanboy claim that shaurya is not a ballistic missile.
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it is a duck.

I have made my point clear. I will now leave this thread. Have fun.

Tsk tsk. You are mistaken sloppy indian journalisme for real facts.

The missile rose on the dot at 2.30 p.m. from a canister strapped on to the ground, climbed to an altitude of 40 km and sped at 7.5 Mach, that is, 7.5 times the speed of sound. It covered its full range of 700 km in 500 seconds.

That poor soul just divided the distance with the duration and come up with the 7,5 mark. Read it more carefully.

Shourya is the land-variant of India's K-15 missile which is launched under the water and is being fitted into the Navy's nuclear-powered submarine, Arihant.

k-15 is a ballistic missile.

The inside story of SLBM K-15 » Indian Defence Review

The 27th Jan test-firing saw the K-15’s first-stage solid-fuel rocket booster being ignited inside a pontoon-based silo 20 metres under water & being lifted up to an altitude of 7km. Then the second-stage solid-fuel rocket ignited & lifted the K-15/B-05 to an altitude of 40km, following which the K-15 adopted a depressed trajectory flight-path.

Same altitude as shourya, coincidence? only if you are an indian fanboy.

Then comes this part.

The missile is ten metres long, 74 cm in diameter and weighs 6.2 tonnes. Its two stages use solid propellants.

A cruise missile? no freaking way. It is a ballistic missile.

Says the guy who left this part out just before the quotation of the "unnamed top scientist"

Shortly before the Defexpo 2010, Dr Saraswat had publicly stated that India’s missile technology was ahead of China’s and Pakistan’s.

Now top DRDO scientists have revealed that the Shaurya is not a ballistic missile, as it has been thought to be; it is actually a hypersonic cruise missile, which never leaves the atmosphere.

Shows how much credibility they have. muhahahahhaha. Have fun

No it is not just a ballistic missile with a standard rise, apogee and perigee.
It never leaves the atmosphere, and sustains hypersonic flight path for over 100s of kilometers.
It is a Quasi ballistic missile.

Quasi Ballistic Missile
Shourya can be classified as a quasi ballistic missile.

A quasi ballistic missiles doesn't follow a pure ballistic trajectory. It stays within the atmosphere and flies to its targets at hypersonic speeds, performing maneuvers to confuse enemy defenses. Its time to target is considerably less than that of a ballistic missile, giving the enemy lesser reaction time.

The Shourya is comparable to Russia's Iskander missile that can cruise at hypersonic speed of Mach 6 - 7 at a height of 50 km and maneuver to evade ballistic missile defenses. The Iskander-M weighs 4,615 kg and carries a warhead of 710 – 800 kg to a range of 480 km, achieving a CEP of 5 – 7 m.

Shourya Trajectory

Shourya's first stage takes the missile to an altitude of 7km. The second stage lifts it further up to 40 kms. The missile then flips over and flies at constant altitude at seven times the speed of sound like a cruise missile.

During the endgame, the missile guides itself to the target maneuvering with the help of fins to evade missile defenses and strike within 20-30m of its target 750 km away.

The missile's flat trajectory, hypersonic speed and small cross-section make tracking and interception difficult.

Speaking to the press at DefExpo 2010, DRDO Chief VK Sarsawat said, "Like a ballistic missile, it is powered by solid fuel. And, like a cruise missile, it can guide itself right up to the target."

Google Sites

Last edited:
of course it is. No matter what Pakistan or China claims. same goes with the indian fanboy claim that shaurya is not a ballistic missile.
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it is a duck.

I have made my point clear. I will now leave this thread. Have fun.

Oh no you haven't dude. I was not blind when I said Shaurya is not ballistic missile. I supported you with strong claims.

The only thing shaurya has in common with that of ballistic missile is its Propulsion.

I gave you a link from Business Standard aswell. Did you skip that by any means?

I too have made my point clear.

lol... CM-400AKG

Learn to read. starting from my first post in this thread.

i asked you to explain me the equation of lift drag and free fall in the influence of gravity, of a powered flight.

I will sincerely congrat the Indian if they achieved the real breakthru but by misled others and twisted facts to suit its own agenda. Trying to claim credit that does not deserve. That more or less show what kind of culture and inferiority complex Indian has.

Trying desperate to paint a ballistic missile as hypersonic vehicle and brag about it is a terrible things to do. We are not jealous in fact, we feel disgusted of that act.

And the fact, China is not the one who brag and openly talk about their new hypersonic vehicle achievement. It is USA who reveal our secret trial with careful monitoring and announce to the world which force us no choice but to humbly claim we are right up there on par with US on hypersonic vehicle technology.

Chinese one is long range multiple warheads launching system where brahmos 2 is anti-ship missile. two different platforms
1-Brahmos is anti-ship,air to air,submarine launched missile......
2-This is not Brahmos 2

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom