What's new

'Incredibly stupid India'

SurvivoR

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Story...63cef44e86&&Headline=Incredibly+stupid+India+

Incredibly stupid India

Karan Thapar

January 31, 2009
First Published: 19:29 IST(31/1/2009)
Last Updated: 00:39 IST(1/2/2009)

‘What on earth is going on?’ Pertie sounded intrigued but I could tell he was also exasperated. It was past midnight and
there was an edge to his voice. “Have we all gone mad?”

As you know, this is how Pertie’s rhetorical conversations usually begin. So though I was tempted to reply flippantly, I bit my lip and kept silent.

“They’re attacking women for drinking in pubs near Bangalore. In Bombay they’re closing down shops called Karachi Sweets and banning the sale of Pakistani books. Elsewhere, courts are issuing notices to the producer of Slumdog Millionaire on the grounds the name is offensive. Doesn’t it seem as if, suddenly, everyone’s lost all sense of balance and perspective?”

“Oh come, Pertie,” I replied soothingly, trying hard not to tut-tut. “These are separate and isolated incidents. You can’t add them all up!”

“And why can’t you?” he shot back. “Have you thought of the damage they’ve done? They’re undermining the most important elements of India’s image. First, Bangalore is supposed to be India’s window to the world. It’s thought of as modern, liberal and welcoming. Well, your Sri Ram Sene has effectively put paid to that. Now it’s being compared to Jeddah, Khartoum and Teheran.”

Pertie, of course, has a point but I felt he was over-egging it. I tried to gently demur but I doubt if he heard me.

“Now turn to Bombay. First they resort to censorship and then, in the name of Indian nationalism, the twits from the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) have ripped apart India’s claim to be the original country of the subcontinent. The truth is it was all India before Pakistan was created. Pakistan, of course, doesn’t always accept that and now the MNS has corroborated their view that the land west of the Indus is different and separate. What a fabulous self-goal.”

This time I found it harder to disagree. But much like my earlier feeble interruption Pertie didn’t notice my silence. He was in full flow and, like a steam-roller, carried on.

“And then there’s Slumdog Millionaire. After Gandhi in 1982, no film has done more to make the world aware of India. It’s a runaway success. Yet what’s the response in India? Some foolish politicians think the name is offensive and at least one court has taken them seriously enough to issue formal notices to the producer. Talk about getting the wrong end of the stick.” Suddenly the penny dropped. Each of these was bad enough on its own. But together they made the outcome a lot worse. “What’s the world saying of us?”

“For many we’ve become a joke. People don’t know how to respond to girls getting beaten up for having a drink or shops forced to change their names because a handful of goons don’t like them. They’re laughing at us. But, sadly, the damage is deeper. It won’t be long before people start asking awkward questions.”

“Oh,” I replied, mystified. “Such as?”

“Such as: India is supposed to be a tolerant, liberal democracy. So how come we can’t accept a name like ‘Karachi Sweets’ and buy Pakistani books? Or: Hinduism is supposed to venerate women, we supposedly elevate them as goddesses. So how come we thrash them if they walk into a pub? And then: India is supposed to be an aspiring and dynamic society. So how come a rather clever name like Slumdog Millionaire can’t be appreciated but is, instead, considered offensive? These are disturbing questions.”

“And how will they be answered?” If Pertie had further insights I wanted to hear them.

“I don’t know,” he replied honestly. “But what I can tell you is that they underline the glaring difference between India and mature, self-confident countries. They’re tolerant and accepting. We’ve just exhibited fatuous levels of intolerance and a perverse inability to accept recognition. It could make people realise that the real India is not in the smart-talking drawing-rooms of Delhi and Bombay, but in its insecure, quarrelsome back-streets and in the nit-picking litigations of its carping politicians. And if that happens, it could take the shine off the India story.”

Last edited:
Is there any "mature, self-confident" country in the world??

Tell any name and anybody can produce a long list of books, films, personal decisions (like abortion), personal items (like alcoholic drinks, female/**** magazines) etc. etc. that nation has condemned or banned.

And I don't know why ALL the people in India are expected to show same reaction to everything? In a country this big, there have to be some extreme, some average, some negative, some positive views for everything.

OK, someone felt that the title of the film is offensive so he has launched a case. Court will decide who is right. What's wrong with that?? May be 0.1% people of India have objection, but what about remaining 99.9% people who have accepted the title?

Talking of tolerance, I think India is one of the most tolerant nations in the world. It takes tolerance to digest countless different views for every single issue.

Surprising to see a post from someone in whose country girls are being prevented even from basics like education & the right to dress they way they'd like to..

The line drawn by Cyril radclife did not lay down for fools to be on one side only, there are present on both sides in abundance.

We need to desist from giving such events publicity coz thats what the clots who indulge in such acts are looking for.

This thread is about India, stay on the topic.

Just to clarify one thing, the name "Slumdog Millionaire" was opposed by slum dweller not by some politicians.

Mumbai slum residents object to hit Slumdog's name

And as far as mangalore (not bangalore) pub attack is concerned, it is is same old bloody politics. It has been taken cre by law enforcement agencies. Even sangh pariwar has distanced itself from the incident and the outfit which carried it out.

Many people (mostly liberals) ridiculed the absurd attempts in the US to rename "French Fries" as "Freedom Fries", so yes, nut jobs do exist everywhere.

But what is important is that foolish and stupid behaviour such as 'freedom fries' and "Karachi Sweets' is recognized for what it is, not excused under the garb of, 'well everyone has different opinions'.

There are 'different opinions', and then there are, as the author points out, 'stupid opinions'.

Incredibly stupid India - Hindustan Times

Incredibly stupid India

Karan Thapar

January 31, 2009
First Published: 19:29 IST(31/1/2009)
Last Updated: 00:39 IST(1/2/2009)

‘What on earth is going on?’ Pertie sounded intrigued but I could tell he was also exasperated. It was past midnight and
there was an edge to his voice. “Have we all gone mad?”

As you know, this is how Pertie’s rhetorical conversations usually begin. So though I was tempted to reply flippantly, I bit my lip and kept silent.

“They’re attacking women for drinking in pubs near Bangalore. In Bombay they’re closing down shops called Karachi Sweets and banning the sale of Pakistani books. Elsewhere, courts are issuing notices to the producer of Slumdog Millionaire on the grounds the name is offensive. Doesn’t it seem as if, suddenly, everyone’s lost all sense of balance and perspective?”

“Oh come, Pertie,” I replied soothingly, trying hard not to tut-tut. “These are separate and isolated incidents. You can’t add them all up!”

“And why can’t you?” he shot back. “Have you thought of the damage they’ve done? They’re undermining the most important elements of India’s image. First, Bangalore is supposed to be India’s window to the world. It’s thought of as modern, liberal and welcoming. Well, your Sri Ram Sene has effectively put paid to that. Now it’s being compared to Jeddah, Khartoum and Teheran.”

Pertie, of course, has a point but I felt he was over-egging it. I tried to gently demur but I doubt if he heard me.

“Now turn to Bombay. First they resort to censorship and then, in the name of Indian nationalism, the twits from the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) have ripped apart India’s claim to be the original country of the subcontinent. The truth is it was all India before Pakistan was created. Pakistan, of course, doesn’t always accept that and now the MNS has corroborated their view that the land west of the Indus is different and separate. What a fabulous self-goal.”

This time I found it harder to disagree. But much like my earlier feeble interruption Pertie didn’t notice my silence. He was in full flow and, like a steam-roller, carried on.

“And then there’s Slumdog Millionaire. After Gandhi in 1982, no film has done more to make the world aware of India. It’s a runaway success. Yet what’s the response in India? Some foolish politicians think the name is offensive and at least one court has taken them seriously enough to issue formal notices to the producer. Talk about getting the wrong end of the stick.” Suddenly the penny dropped. Each of these was bad enough on its own. But together they made the outcome a lot worse. “What’s the world saying of us?”

“For many we’ve become a joke. People don’t know how to respond to girls getting beaten up for having a drink or shops forced to change their names because a handful of goons don’t like them. They’re laughing at us. But, sadly, the damage is deeper. It won’t be long before people start asking awkward questions.”

“Oh,” I replied, mystified. “Such as?”

“Such as: India is supposed to be a tolerant, liberal democracy. So how come we can’t accept a name like ‘Karachi Sweets’ and buy Pakistani books? Or: Hinduism is supposed to venerate women, we supposedly elevate them as goddesses. So how come we thrash them if they walk into a pub? And then: India is supposed to be an aspiring and dynamic society. So how come a rather clever name like Slumdog Millionaire can’t be appreciated but is, instead, considered offensive? These are disturbing questions

“And how will they be answered?” If Pertie had further insights I wanted to hear them.

“I don’t know,” he replied honestly. “But what I can tell you is that they underline the glaring difference between India and mature, self-confident countries. They’re tolerant and accepting. We’ve just exhibited fatuous levels of intolerance and a perverse inability to accept recognition. It could make people realise that the real India is not in the smart-talking drawing-rooms of Delhi and Bombay, but in its insecure, quarrelsome back-streets and in the nit-picking litigations of its carping politicians. And if that happens, it could take the shine off the India story

Thanks for your effort and time invested to enlighten Indians on the improvements required for their society through this artical ..

This article is justified... some people have really taken the law into their hands. And they are malligining indias image abroad. But i am glad that such talk is encouraged and is done in india As AM said, the actions of sre ram sena.. MNS and crticism against slumdog is widely and overwhelmely criticised. And i am sure we are moving 3 steps forward but some people are trying to pull india 1 step backwards,but such articles should be published more so that the voice of the moderate majority get stronger..!!! I wish the same could happen in pakistan too..!!!! Long live moderates ;)

Many people (mostly liberals) ridiculed the absurd attempts in the US to rename "French Fries" as "Freedom Fries", so yes, nut jobs do exist everywhere.

But what is important is that foolish and stupid behaviour such as 'freedom fries' and "Karachi Sweets' is recognized for what it is, not excused under the garb of, 'well everyone has different opinions'.

There are 'different opinions', and then there are, as the author points out, 'stupid opinions'.

I fully agree with you.

But again, such 'stupid opinions' are everywhere in the world, including Pakistan. They are inevitable, though unfortunate.

So why point towards mental ability of whole nation for handful of stupids?? Pakistan sure has number of these. How will you feel if I call it "stupid Pakistan"?

Such titles lead to nothing but brainless war of low level comments and are also disgraceful for the forum.

I am not denying anything from the article. On contrary, I appreciate such efforts. :enjoy:

But my objection is for the title. Not only it is offensive, but also it can mislead others about mentality of majority in India.

sir,

We need not to live in denial, India is in need of great help from our generation. these extrimist moral police are ruining it. they don't understand that they cant force their age old moral value on people. Times they are changing - please get out the new way if you cant lend your hand!
I hope the goverment or court system do something about it. and stop these hooligans from ruining our freedom. THEIR right stop at the tip of my nose. I DONT KNOW WHY THESE BUGGERS NEVER MEET ME I WILL GIVE THEM SOME THING TO CHEW ON.
these Maharastra satyanash Sena , and ravan sena and bai ranga dal
the best is to stop living in denial and accept the fact and do something about it.
Now how about htis little 5 yr old girl beaten by cops for small steal. how bloody inhuman is that. These times makes me wish - we had a Hitler and hang such bas-tards.

We should really learn from India. Look how Manglor (Not Banglor; The incident happened in Manglore) incident can took such big shape and 14 arrests and people are angry about it. And if we look at our self can you imagine girls going to Cinema alone. They throw acid on faces of women without burkha?

Look they have Sweet shop called Karachi Sweets! The sale Pakistani books there. If you want to close this or stop this you have to face protest and media that is what happening there.

It is nothing wrong if someone find the name offensive, but important thing is are they going to change name? What is final verdict of court?

Thanks man...there are atleast some members here who understand that no normal Indian supports such things in India.

One more point is, technically, there is nothing wrong in naming any shop as "Karachi Sweets" or so, but this is not sensible.

When you are near a petrol tanker, you avoid lighting a cigarette. You don't say "but ideally, it is not supposed to catch fire as it is sealed". Do you??

We should really learn from India. Look how Manglor (Not Banglor; The incident happened in Manglore) incident can took such big shape and 14 arrests and people are angry about it. And if we look at our self can you imagine girls going to Cinema alone. They throw acid on faces of women without burkha?

Look they have Sweet shop called Karachi Sweets! The sale Pakistani books there. If you want to close this or stop this you have to face protest and media that is what happening there.

It is nothing wrong if someone find the name offensive, but important thing is are they going to change name? What is final verdict of court?

I saw that interview with shop owner..His problem was that his brand is allready famous and changing name of the shop will reduce his buissness..
Court will order to arrest those miscreants and they will come out within a week.. If situation remains calm then things will return to normal otherwise if any other terrorist activity happens that will give another opportunity for miscreants..

sir,

We need not to live in denial, India is in need of great help from our generation. these extrimist moral police are ruining it. they don't understand that they cant force their age old moral value on people. Times they are changing - please get out the new way if you cant lend your hand!
I hope the goverment or court system do something about it. and stop these hooligans from ruining our freedom. THEIR right stop at the tip of my nose. I DONT KNOW WHY THESE BUGGERS NEVER MEET ME I WILL GIVE THEM SOME THING TO CHEW ON.
these Maharastra satyanash Sena , and ravan sena and bai ranga dal
the best is to stop living in denial and accept the fact and do something about it.
Now how about htis little 5 yr old girl beaten by cops for small steal. how bloody inhuman is that. These times makes me wish - we had a Hitler and hang such bas-tards.

I guess you are referring to MNS, Shri Ram Sena and Bajrang Dal.

Well, I cannot tell about other two, but you are certainly mistaken for MNS. I also thought Raj Thakrey is wrong until I heard a speech from him. Media has painted him in wrong colors.

Well, that is different subject. Here, I am not denying anything. I, too, feel burning when these things happen in my nation. But it does not give you right to insult whole nation. And with the same criteria, almost every nation in the world can be called stupid.

Sir,

Not you, its our big population who feel angry by such things- they think its a negative approach to show india as poor country. Its not negativity is when u know you have problem and you dont face them. And here that's what we doing, Our police is corrupt our politician are corrupt, government office like - Municipal committee and DDA etc. are filled with corruption. Money is pent from us tax payers pocket and i don't get proper roads even in major cities. there are pot holes. drinking water have sh-it in it ( it happened in Delhi recently). electricity is not enough ( people steal electricity ). our air is polluted when some shiels dixit says we need to follow supreme court order and break illegal construction people abuse her on media.
We have no stadium not sports facility, all children parks are hogged by old buggers, who don't allow kids to play. People dont follow road sign. Public transport is in bad condition ( blue line buses).

the list goes on . and how dare we call our self -- to be super power - its a joke!!! FACE IT ! we have to dfo some thign or else - just die like cockroaches !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom