What's new

Inbred Nation

muse

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
The more we marry our cousins, the worse our genes are warped
By Mahnoor Sherazee
Published: July 23, 2011

COMPARISON: 1 in 10,000 Pakistanis have microcephally. 1 in 1m Caucasian people have it.
ISLAMABAD:

In cultures that are more conservative and private, people tend to stay close to what and who they know. It is no wonder then that intermarrying or consanguinity (marriages within close blood relatives) persists as a popular practice in Pakistan as well as among many Muslims worldwide.

In traditional societies, marriage is seen more as a union of two families rather than simply between two individuals. It is with this mindset that elders have for years married their children to relatives, with the most common choice being first and second cousins.

According to a study titled ‘The impact of consanguinity and inbreeding on perinatal mortality in Karachi’ by Dr Rafat Hussain, published in 1998, consanguinity is practised by about 63% of Pakistanis, of which over 80% are between first cousins. When looked at scientifically, first cousins share 1/8th of their genes inherited from a common ancestor. There are also unions between couples who are ‘double-first cousins’ – meaning they are related from their maternal as well as paternal side.

However, with the security of marrying within the family to preserve close ties and in many cases inheritance, comes the looming threat of adverse biological conditions for offspring. Among these are microcephaly and a further mutation, autosomal recessive primary microcephaly (ARP-MCPH) which is clinically described as a congenital neurological disorder. This means that the baby’s head is at least three times smaller than what it should be. Mild to severe mental retardation is also a risk.

Dr Abdul Hameed of the Institute of Biomedical and Genetic Engineering in Islamabad has been looking into this phenomenon with scientists from the Kohat University of Science and Technology. He and his colleagues, Shamim Saleha, Muhammad Ajmal, M Jamil and M Nasir found that this genetic mutation is surfacing in members of the Pakhtun pool at an alarmingly high level – 43% of families in northern Pakistan with microcephaly have autosomal recessive primary microcephaly.

According to a 2005 study, about one in 10,000 Pakistanis have microcephaly, compared to one in one million in the Caucasian (or white) population. “The high incidence should set alarms [ringing] for trends to change,” Hameed told The Express Tribune, adding that if consanguineous or in-breeding continues at the same rate, they will soon reach a “dangerous level”.

But surely, the Pakhtun are not the only ones who intermarry in Pakistan and by that reasoning the ‘underdeveloped head’ condition should surface in other genetic pools. “Of course, inter- marriages are practised by Punjabis and other communities as well,” explained Hameed. “However it is not as often as seen in the Pakhtun. This is why the severity of their situation is at a relatively higher level.” Some reasons include geographical proximity; tribes are settled in one area and do not want their daughters to move too far away from home.

Underdeveloped mental capacities are always a part of microcephaly but to varying degrees – from very mild to moderate. Very rarely is it more than moderate and accompanied by epilepsy or fits. “Usually the patients with microcephaly are easy to handle and they are able to learn several self-help skills depending upon the environment and economic status of parents etc.,” explained Dr Jawad Hassan, who is an assistant professor with the Department of Biochemistry at Shifa College of Medicine.

In some communities, the extent of consanguinity and inbreeding is so deeply entrenched that marrying within the tribe is also not recommended. While the mutation in either or both parent is not genetic, marrying a close blood relative will spread the mutation. If both parents carry the mutated gene, the child has a 25% chance of being affected. “If one parent is a carrier for the mutation or the defective copy of the chromosome and the other partner is ‘normal’, their children will be 100% ‘normal’,” Hameed explained. In short, the condition can be completely avoided if people with a family history avoid intermarrying.

An international expert added to the corpus of research by pointing out that the good news is that as family sizes go down, double first cousin marriages in particular will become increasingly difficult.

Anyone who is concerned can be easily tested for the appearance of the mutation free of cost at some centres in Lahore and Islamabad.

Cousin marriages: 3 siblings suffer from rare congenital bone disease
By Kashif Zafar
Published: June 2, 2011

Doctors say the condition is incurable as the disease is genetic.

BAHAWALPUR:

A woman has appealed to the chief minister for help because three of her seven children are suffering from a severe congenital disease.

Nazirabad Colony resident Imtiaz Bibi, has seven children and three of them have been suffering from a severe bone disorder.

“They have been suffering since they were children and the doctors said that they couldn’t do anything to solve the problem because the disease was genetic,” Imtiaz Bibi said.

Imtiaz Bibi’s husband Malik Allah Datta is a day labourer and earns Rs200 a day. “We can barely feed the entire family so it has been nearly impossible to pay my children’s medical bills. They can’t walk and their knees are locked,” he said. “They were born this way and we haven’t been able to find any cure. My children have been suffering and we have taken them to several doctors but they don’t know what to do,” he added.

Datta’s youngest son, Shah Zaib, 18, said that he was a matric student who had been suffering from muscular problems all his life. “When I was younger, I could still walk even though I had disjointed knees but now the disease has gotten much worse,” he said. Zaib added that the disease constantly made him feel weak and he could barely move now. “The illness has progressed to my spine and I can’t even move my neck properly,” he added.

Munaza, 26, said that she had been suffering from the same disease for the past ten years. “My growth stopped when I was thirteen and my legs began to bend unnaturally. Now, I can’t walk or move my left hand and it gets worse every year,” she said. Munazza said that she and her siblings suffered the most during winter season. “The problem gets much worse in the winter because our entire bodies hurt constantly,” she said.

Aisha, 27, told reporters that she had been born with the same condition as her siblings and could barely move. “My family has had a very hard time caring for us and supporting us despite the fact that they have no money. We cannot even help out,” she added. Imtiaz Bibi said that they visited the OPD twice a month but the doctors did not treat her children. “They keep ignoring us and turning us away,” she said.

QMC Medical College principal Dr Mazhar said that the reason doctors were unable to find a cure was because the disease was genetic. “This is a common occurrence in cousin marriages. Congenital diseases often crop up in these cases and all these children have malformed spinal chords and locked legs. It is a congenital bone disorder and we can’t cure it. All we can do is to provide them with medicines and we have done that,” he said.

Imtiaz Bibi and Allah Datta have appealed the president, the prime minister and the Punjab chief minister to help them afford treatment for their children

I think Hadhrat Umar [ra] said something to the effect "Marry far and wide, it strengthens the blood"

meaning that in islam although it is permissible to marry first cousins - it is recommended to marry outside of the family

cousin marriages are a stupid idea of insecure people , there are many kids with serious disorders due to inter family marriages

We consider it a stupid idea because we are blessed with the thorough knowledge that was derived through centuries of hard work. People in the older times had their own priorities to marry closer to the families. Natural calamities and constant wars took care of those who carried weak/poor genes.

But in the modern era with potent medicines and greater understandings, when even mentally retarded people can be saved and helped to marry and make babies, we need to make sure we produce genes that better our lives, not worsen them.

It is theorized that the human population dwindled to mere 2,000 about 75,000 years ago. We are all sons and daughters of that close-knit community. And with time, nature took care of the bad genes. However, now that we can outsmart nature too, we need to take care of the genes ourselves.

Wasn't such a stupid idea in the older times, but the times are changing fast, and to survive we too need to change with time.

cousin marriages are a stupid idea of insecure people , there are many kids with serious disorders due to inter family marriages
I do not think social consciousness accumulated over millennia can be explained away as 'a stupid idea of insecure people'. In a society where caste, tribe and family/baraadarii(brotherhood, a Muslim euphemism for the practice of forms of the existing caste system) ties over-arch other social factors even as significant as wealth and education, marrying outside the clan brings unimaginable-for-you amounts of acrimony, stigma of betrayal and dishonouring of 'your people', risk of being ostracized by the clan etc. Just look at your country's politics, virtually all political parties are based on 'my strength for my people' or 3Sabiyyah.

Mayb you and I and other long-time urbanites can joke about their backwardness, but the inner bowels of this society are filled with people where our being independent in our decision-making will make us complete outcasts, even a challenge to society, a malediction that it's socially-morally-right to remove through our liquidation.

Natural selection is alive and well. Regional populations who lose out on genetic bases will be weeded out over a period of time. Such is the infinite wisdom of the Creator who has set into motion these changes.

I do not think social consciousness accumulated over millennia can be explained away as 'a stupid idea of insecure people'. In a society where caste, tribe and family/baraadarii(brotherhood, a Muslim euphemism for the practice of forms of the existing caste system) ties over-arch other social factors even as significant as wealth and education, marrying outside the clan brings unimaginable-for-you amounts of acrimony, stigma of betrayal and dishonouring of 'your people', risk of being ostracized by the clan etc. Just look at your country's politics, virtually all political parties are based on 'my strength for my people' or 3Sabiyyah.

Mayb you and I and other long-time urbanites can joke about their backwardness, but the inner bowels of this society are filled with people where our being independent in our decision-making will make us complete outcasts, even a challenge to society, a malediction that it's socially-morally-right to remove through our liquidation.

Thank you for that excellent post - I would ask that we keep in mind the question of incentives and the kind of economy we experience.

IN the economy we have, women's education and in particular jobs, is not a general fact - and I would suggest to you that this reality, more than any other, is the reason why inbred nation continues to be, inbred -- the need is not so much to accumulate but to protect what they have accumulated.

In Hinduism we have a concept of "Gotra" where people belonging to same gotra are supposed to come from same sage so cant marry.

Reading this article I believe it is a good idea not to marry within the same "Gotra"

it used to take place in ancient egypt..they also suffered from diseases

The reason why so much intermarrying between cousins occurs in pakistan is because according to amnesty international 9 out of 10 women in pakistan are victims of domestic violence. parents marry into relations with the hope that they can avoid this happening to their daughters.

So perhaps we should look at the root cause of this problem. ie pakistani men abusing their wives.

SuperK

Let me see if I go that right -- !st cousins get married to avoid domestic violence -- and this obviously leads to domestic violence? I know I am missing something here -- How do you square the fact that there is much domestic violence and much intermarrying between cousins??

In Hinduism we have a concept of "Gotra" where people belonging to same gotra are supposed to come from same sage so cant marry.

Reading this article I believe it is a good idea not to marry within the same "Gotra"

Gotra will only cover father side of the relations. Marrying mother's brother's daughter is common in India especially in South. This is also close blood relationship and resulting in same type of issues described by OP. But nowadays people are well aware of the issues with this type of relations and avoiding in many families.

This happens not only in Pakistan, but in all Muslm majority countries and everywhere where there are Muslims, including INDIA.

In Islam, it is permissible for cousins to marry.

The Royal British family used to marry their cousins, because they believed in the importance of royal blood.

I have seen children of cousins become successful doctors here in the U.S. and are more intelligent than any Gora doctor. Many live perfectly normal lives, only a minority suffer from congenital disorders but even some children whose parents are not cousins suffer from congenital disorders.

Back
Top Bottom