What's new

Inappropriate Language...

Because the fool advising that has little knowledge that within India's own constitution whose official copy is here
http://lawmin.nic.in/olwing/coi/coi-english/coi-4March2016.pdf

states the following in its FIRST CLAUSE
PART I THE UNION AND ITS TERRITORY 1.
(1) India, that is Bharat, shall be a Union of States.
1[(2) The States and the territories thereof shall be as specified in the First Schedule.]
(3) The territory of India shall comprise— (a) the territories of the States; 2[(b) the Union territories specified in the First Schedule; and] (c) such other territories as may be acquired

So essentially your constitution is offensive to you?
@Oscar there is a difference between Bharat, Bhartiya and a slang word Bharti or Bharathi. Hope you acknowledge the difference.

This is how it is wrote in Urdu... Now read it so you can understand how it is called Bharti... The word is not an offense as it is wrote in Urdu like below however, one can say that the context in which it is used could be offensive...

بھارتی
That's exactly what we are saying. I am not much expert in Urdu, even not in Hindi for that matter. But I can understand what is offensive and what is not. Hope that is acknowledged.

It's not Baharti, rather it is Bhartiya. Baharti or Bharti is slang and used for hurt others who belong to Bharat. And correct way of saying is Bhartiya wazir e Azam like this, however many misuse the wording to suit their side.

I am not going to waste my time debating something that has already been clarified by a dozen or so people.

Only because you "feel" that you are being insulted by perfectly non-derogatory word, does not mean that we change our language. It is not a slang or something, it is a literary word.

Do you think just because we might get offended by the word "Bund" (union), or "Land" (country), Germans should change their language?

That's exactly what we are saying. I am not much expert in Urdu, even not in Hindi for that matter. But I can understand what is offensive and what is not. Hope that is acknowledged.

The word is not inappropriate at all. Contexts/sentence may define the term as inappropriate word where it is used purely for insults but the word Bharti is not a slang nor insults alone. You quoted Urdu so I tried to clarify how it is wrote and read which is not offensive at all.

Here is an example of a post using words which, individually, are all perfectly acceptable. But in the manner and context used, the language becomes inappropriate:

Then why didn't your biological fathers just moved on from Iraq and Iran. What was the purpose of killing millions of Iraqis and giving rise to ISIS?

Hence the struggle and judgement - for some of us, anyway. Given @MilSpec posts above, this individual might have serious father issues of his/her own. Probably deserves pity more than anything else, poor fella!

Corrected, but since Bharati is essentially the other name of saraswati.. it cannot be coined an insult.
Sir you have been on this forum far longer than most of us have been here. We hope you understand how this word is used in sentences, posts which are explicitly and implicitly bad. Please understand that Bhartiya is different and accepted word and calling us Bharti/Bharathi/Bharati is not civil way of addressing. Thank you.

Sir you have been on this forum far longer than most of us have been here. We hope you understand how this word is used in sentences, posts which are explicitly and implicitly bad. Please understand that Bhartiya is different and accepted word and calling us Bharti/Bharathi/Bharati is not civil way of addressing. Thank you.
Again, we can't ban common vocabulary just on an ambiguous usage. I believe WasJal has defined this issue better.

The word is not inappropriate at all. Contexts/sentence may define the term as inappropriate word where it is used purely for insults but the word Bharti is not a slang nor insults alone. You quoted Urdu so I tried to clarify how it is wrote and read which is not offensive at all.
Sir will you agree that this word is used by most of Pakistani posters only and many of the times we see posts with bad context or sentence which we report as well. But it leads to belief in many that due to sheer number of posts and being general this word, they will get away with it and yes most of the time they do get away with it. No more arguments in this my side, I have put my observations in all posts, hope that is well received.

Bhartiya is not an insult.
Exactly!!!
Bhartiya is not offensive but BHARATI is. It's a distorted version of the original word.

When in conversation with an innocent Pakistani, who is unaware of the happenings on PDF, confessed to me that he has never heard the word BHARATI>>>

You_Doodle+_2016-10-10T18_30_33Z.jpg

You_Doodle+_2016-10-10T18_31_26Z.jpg

Another Pakistani girl reinforced that the word is Hindustani and not BHARATI>>>
You_Doodle+_2016-10-10T18_55_13Z.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5032.jpg
    IMG_5032.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Again, we can't ban common vocabulary just on an ambiguous usage. I believe WasJal has defined this issue better.
There is no need to ban Bharti,

as a matter of fact there is no need to ban any homonyms, perfectly fine words can be used in derogatory fashion, and just deal with them on case by case basis.

There is no need to ban Bharti,

as a matter of fact there is no need to ban any homonyms, perfectly fine words can be used in derogatory fashion, and just deal with them on case by case basis.
That is exactly what is done. Many a times the abbreviation P-a-ki is ignored based on poster's usage and previous posts and topics.

IMHO, this is all much ado about nothing. The greater issue is lack of reporting.
Posters dont understand that going @mods or whatever moderator username is much less effective than creating a report.

That is exactly what is done. Many a times the abbreviation P-a-ki is ignored based on poster's usage and previous posts and topics.

IMHO, this is all much ado about nothing. The greater issue is lack of reporting.
Posters dont understand that going @mods or whatever moderator username is much less effective than creating a report.
I sympathize with the webmaster, the site has seen tremendous improvements in terms of features, and management, and still people keep complaining.

I sympathize with the webmaster, the site has seen tremendous improvements in terms of features, and management, and still people keep complaining.
Human Nature. Most cannot fathom the fine line this site has to walk to meet its core purpose, values and satisfy all users. It is next to impossible with the subject context and userbase.

yara what usage. bharti is a simple plain commonly used word in Urdu for word "Indian". A while back I was watching Dawn's programme Zara Hat k and there was one segment on Indian media's recent fake videos about Pakistan and it was called "Bharti Media ki jay ho".

All in all it is obvious Indians when left with no serious matter to discuss after their big chest-thumbing over "surgical strikes", now have become too touchy to cry about anything including the word bharti.

They came up with absurd imagination like "Pakistani posters are insulting hindu godess" for God's sake not even I knew that there is a godess named bharti and if there is why Indians are not feeling insulted when corporate companies are named as bharti in India.

This is uncalled for touchiness when these bharatis come up with all kinds of name calling in BD forum section where they call every other member as razakar/rajakar, terrorists, islamists etc etc who does not support Indian view.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom