What's new

In Thailand, Being Black or Looking Dark is ‘Ugly’: Racist, or just misguided?

Why do you think there is a military coup in Thailand? The military wants to be in power when the king dies so that they can control who will be the new king.

You never know these Thai worship their king as reincarnation of a god. Even Nepal that abolished monarchy is moving back to it.

I have same sense of beauty, its not racism, its how your perception of beauty is.
By white I mean not complete pale white but like greek/italians.

In Thailand its both, a sense of beauty and racism.

If you watch commercials on Thai television, they are all chinese style white skin and mixed race Thai-western actors.
If you ask Thai men what the ideal of beauty is regarding Thai women, the answer is: chinese faces, white skin and skinny.

And is also racism, dark skinned Thais are been looked down by most people, particularly by Thai chinese..

You never know these Thai worship their king as reincarnation of a god..

Its called brainwashing.

Last edited:
I guess white skin is liked by all east-Asia and many southeast Asia countries.
Normal brown color skin is also OK
But those too black will be regard as stranger...
It is common in many place..

In Thailand its both, a sense of beauty and racism.

If you watch commercials on Thai television, they are all chinese style white skin and mixed Thai-western actors.
If you ask Thai men what the ideal of beauty is regarding Thai women, the answer is: chinese faces, white skin and skinny.

And is also racism, dark skinned Thais are been looked down by most people, particularly by Thai chinese..

Its called brainwashing.

2moi.jpg

Chinese, Vietnamese & Korean

Kinh/Jing Vietnamese are born with fair skin they are not dark or very light. Some have tan skin because of hot humid weather in South VN.

Thais varies with ethnic Tai & Thai Chinese having naturally fair skin. While Mon Khmer ethnics with medium to dark skin tone.

And Japanese don't have pale white skin unless your people bleach their skin. It's more of a light beige color....

Dude stop going around showing your inferiority complex and insecurity.

In the other thread you were trying so hard to convince a Chinese member that Vietnamese are confucian like them while he rightfully denied that Vietnamese have the same social value as Chinese.

Here, like in several other threads, you’re trying to convince people with a selective picture that Vietnamese are lighted skinned and have similiar appearance to north east asian.

Just accept yourself. We Vietnamese are south east asian. Vietnam have both light skinned and dark skinned people, just like a lot of other south east asian countries. We are south east asian, not north east. Our social values and mentality are more similar to the Thai, not the north east. And there are scientific data to back this up.

I guess, this is one of your retaliation thread because I previously said Viet and Thai are the most similar?

Last edited:
I agree that Thai culture is obsessed with white skin, been there many times when I was living in Hong Kong they are totally whacked about color of ones skins and I have not seen anything like it anywhere and I have been around !! I have also found them to be very xenophobic except in tourist area where everyone is trying to scam you.

In the other thread you were trying so hard to convince a Chinese member that Vietnamese are confucian like them while he rightfully denied that Vietnamese have the same social value as Chinese.

Here, like in several other threads, you’re trying to convince people with a selective picture that Vietnamese are lighted skinned and have similiar appearance to north east asian.

Just accept yourself. We Vietnamese are south east asian. Vietnam have both light skinned and dark skinned people, just like a lot of other south east asian countries. We are south east asian, not north east. Our social values and mentality are more similar to the Thai, not the north east. And there are scientific data to back this up.

I guess, this is one of your retaliation thread because I previously said Viet and Thai are the most similar?

The thread was a just a concidence no prior relations. What are you talking about? I never said Vietnamese are East Asian. Of course VN is geographically located in SEA.

SA, SEA,CA, EA are just a geographical term to label and segograte ones culture and religion into a specific region. And just because a country is in that region doesn't mean their related to each other.Singapore is predominately Chinese country in SEA.

That's your personal opinon and I have mine. It's a Fact that Vietnam is a part of the Sinosphere. It's a Fact that the government, culture, religion, some habits, and physical appearance is most similiar to China compare to SEA. Its a Fact that most of VN history involves China.

@Viet @fadine @NiceGuy @Rechoice @biendong @xesy @VNAF @Carlosa @DaiViet @ComradeNam @Viva_Viet
@vtnsx @Thao Nguyen @JaiMin
@Viva_Viet @Aqsuperman
@frequency @T-55 @fadine

Last edited:
Thailand just hasn't discovered political correctness. I don't think they hate anybody they just don't have this extreme sensitivity about everything related to race that Americans do.
That is correct. Many Westerners especially American did not understand Asian culture, they often mistake Asian culture of American perspective. Its true Asian favor light skin but that was their culture for thousand of years to distinguish between poor and rich whom often less expose to the Sun (the case of Thailand the different between ruling class from Northern and second citizen class Southern Khmer who has darker skin tone). That is different with American perspective on the view of racial by skin color differ with them. Regarding to Asian women love being with white people it is simply they thought of white people have more money, come from wealthy countries. however not all white men are treated the same, the different between Western White english speakers and Eastern EU non english speaker less wealth.

Nah what is he doing is not insecure. Core Vietnam culture is really confucius and Vietnamse majority has lighter skin, that is undeniable facts. It is just some Chibots here delusional think that Vietnamse wanna be like them (that is typical Chinese think they are center of the world). If there is people Vietnamese envy would be Japanese, not Chiinese who Vietnam dislike go to history books thousand of years.

In the Philippines if you have dark skin they automatically label you ugly, so many things need to be changed in my poor country. :(

I agree that Thai culture is obsessed with white skin, been there many times when I was living in Hong Kong they are totally whacked about color of ones skins and I have not seen anything like it anywhere and I have been around !! I have also found them to be very xenophobic except in tourist area where everyone is trying to scam you.

Absolutely 100% true !!!!!!!!

Absolutely 100% true !!!!!!!!

You are biased against the Thai because you had bad personal experiences with them.

I am biased for the Thai and have positive views about them because I had good experience with them.

Hey remember I once said Viet and Thai are similar? The DWS research survey confirms it.

To be honest, i have seen this in almost all asian countries i have been to from. china to korea to thailand to malaysia etc, obviously white skin is envied and respected, while darker skin(doesnt always have to be black ) is looked down upon. Plus its easier to get girls there when you are white @Peter C :D:P .
Overall, i dont think its racism per se, more like ignorance. IMO. As asians only recently started to mingle with people from other races in their country, compared to we in europe who have been in contact/mingled with other races for ages(through immigration and colonisation etc).

White girls see black men as attractive and hot. Tanning salon and tanning spray are popular here. So opposite. LOL

That's your personal opinon and I have mine. It's a Fact that Vietnam is a part of the Sinosphere. It's a Fact that the government, culture, religion, some habits, and physical appearance is most similiar to China compare to SEA. Its a Fact that most of VN history involves China.

Yes no doubt it is my personal opinion, but it has been backed up by a reputable research survey.

I acussed you of being insecure because you keep getting into argument like this:

-Chinese guy: You Vietnamese are not one of us.
-Viet guy: Yes, we are confucian just like you!
-Chinese guy: No.
-Viet guy: Yes, look at these genetic diagram, look at these vidoes of us celebrating Chinese new years.
-Chinese guy: No.
-Viet guy: OK look at these pictures of our beautiful girls.
This kind of dialogue was about to start in this thread. A North East Asian member said he wish he would be darker like Viet and Thai. Then you jump in to argue that Vietnamese are just as light skinned like North East Asians. Who cares bro if we are North East or South East.

Sorry if I am wrong, but to me it is a sign of insecurity towards the Chinese/East asian.

You are biased against the Thai because you had bad personal experiences with them.

I am biased for the Thai and have positive views about them because I had good experience with them.

Hey remember I once said Viet and Thai are similar? The DWS research survey confirms it.

No, what I just said are well know facts that everybody that has experience with Thailand know very well and has nothing to do with my personal experience there. I can also talk very nicely about them when credit is due.

How many years of direct personal experience with Thailand do you have?

Viet and Thai are actually quite different, Viet are very close to Chinese, not Thai although in south Vietnam, Mekong Delta for instance, they are also close to Thai in many ways, but still quite distinct.

Back
Top Bottom