What's new

In Pictures: The Top Universities In Asia:Forbes

In Pictures: The Top Universities In Asia - No. 1 University of Hong Kong - Forbes.com :tup:
0915_top-universities-asia-hong-kong_485x340.jpg
:yahoo::partay:
Overall rank: 21 Pokfulam, Hong Kong

In Pictures: The Top Universities In Asia - No. 2 University of Tokyo - Forbes.com
0915_top-universities-asia-tokyo_485x340.jpg

Overall rank: 26 Tokyo, Japan

In Pictures: The Top Universities In Asia - No. 3 Pohang University of Science and Technology - Forbes.com
0915_top-universities-asia-pohang_485x340.jpg

Overall rank: 28 Pohang, South Korea

In Pictures: The Top Universities In Asia - No. 4 National University of Singapore - Forbes.com
0915_top-universities-asia-singapore_485x340.jpg

Overall rank: 34 Kent Ridge, Singapore

In Pictures: The Top Universities In Asia - No. 5 University of Melbourne - Forbes.com
0915_top-universities-asia-melbourne_485x340.jpg

Overall rank: 36 Melbourne, Australia

HK make it to number 1
What is the top rank for india uni?

HK make it to number 1
What is the top rank for india uni?

Not sure but two ranks in top 100 i guess. One is IIM and other is IIT. But none has that much infrastructure as we saw in other top university. They just enroll top class students thats it.

Great students and profs alone do not make good universities, it's also the institutions and how they are support that make great universities.

Sad to say image is a lot of it. Even venerable old universities like Harvard, princeton etc spend obscene amounts of money on keeping up their reputation. It's the only way they can attract top talent to them.

I agree with you that money plays an important role in keeping up the reputation. However, money is one part of the story; the other side of the story is how a University innovates and keeps itself abreast with the change. This is a vicious circle…more innovation, pro activeness and prudent investment on the part of the University leads to better output and that leads to more resources. The problems with Indian institutes are that they are not innovative and lack pro activeness.

I studied in one of the better engineering institution in the country and I can vouch that everything about the institution is inefficiency right from the hiring of the professors to research to students services. Politics is breading ground in Indian Universities than academics.

I cannot vouch for US or UK universities, as I haven’t studied there. However, as I have been admitted to London Business School this year, I will have an opportunity to actually observe the difference between a high performing University to an Indian one.

The fall in iit rankings could be due to increased student intake[inc. by 27%]which further stressed the sysem.it will take time to stabilize.Hwevr with opening of 7 new iits and colleges with foreign collaboration[iit hyderabad in collaboration with japan] we will see many more univ's in top 500 in next decade or two.

Tokyo should be ahead of HongKong.
Tsinghua should be ahead of Peking.
And Tongji University should be No.1:devil:

IIT and IIM with their limited resources as compared to Asian universities have made great name for themselves. Who knows about University of Hong Kong in U.S.

Last edited:
Infrastructure wise all indian universities lag far far behind......even the IIT's rank lowely in all the parameters that are considered by the Forbes selection commt.....but having said that as far as student capabilities are concerned and if we took the "ALUMNI " contributions to science,engineering and other technology related fields .....the IIT's leave all the rest behind by a 100 leagues....

however we need to focus more on subjects like arts , humanities etc....we tend to over emphasize the technical branches......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom