What's new

In Indonesia, 1998 violence against ethnic Chinese remains unaddressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, actually most of President after Gusdur has made good job related to the tolerance toward Chinese. Since Gusdur many Chinese can get position in govermnent, discrimination in government eradicated etc.

Yes, current Jakarta's Governor is Ahok (Basuki Tjahaya Purnama) he is chinese descendant.

In simple words: Indonesia has done good job for the tolerance improvement!

Only the "radical fascist" that keep doing harm to legitimate Indonesian goverment and also chinese ethnic.

How much power do the "radical fascists" have in the parliament?

Prejudice my ***. I had already exchanged some fist and hook with them before. And most of the time, in the middle of the heat, the MOD bann them for their silly and stubborn trolling for a week. Over and over again.

A lot of Indonesian here have expereinced their constant trolling on Indonesian topic.

Maybe because of your similar behavior?

But anyway, even if they are troller - you still should throw wise words especially on the sensitive topic. Remember it is not only you or your counterpart that read your words. However I have to admit I'd rather see true color instead of the polished behavior for the wise words :D

Suit yourself.. I have my own stance. :angel:

Last edited:
You check the fotos of prison camp, a lot of pitiful guys are Indian face waiting for torture or shot.
Indian guys experienced even worse damage in Indonesian regime, if not similar with Chinese damage. Just because India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh kicked responsiblity to each other, or defined them as British Indian, no one cared about them.

Look things were bad for everyone under the crumbling last years of the despot Suharto. Time to move on.

India - Indonesia friendship and cooperation is important to us and our expats in Indonesia are now safe, stable and helping to increase the country- country contacts and engagement.

Sure the radical elements will be there, they are there in every big country.....but as long as most people are good genuine people or at least focused on business (and thus its bad business to discriminate)....I dont think Indonesia will revert to late 90s tense oppressive atmosphere.

View attachment 325430
View attachment 325431

China's fight took place both inside and outside the country. A large number of overseas Chinese made great contributions to the war effort. A group of them known as the Nan Qiao Ji Gong 南侨技工served as volunteer drivers and mechanics for the Chinese army.

http://english.cntv.cn/2015/07/07/VIDE1436243522097188.shtml#

These elderly people live in various places, many in China and Southeast Asia. Their average age is over 90 years old. 70 years ago, they were all part of the team of 3,200 overseas Chinese, who left their wealthy life in Southeast Asia for their motherland amid the flames of war. They worked as drivers and mechanics on the Burma Road to transport supplies to the Chinese army.

People called them Nan Qiao Ji Gong. 97-year-old Luo Kaihu remembers:" I believe that every man has a share of responsibility for the fate of his country. When we heard the call of the overseas Chinese leader, Chen Jiageng, we came back immediately."

In 1938, all of China's ports were occupied by Japan. Supplies from overseas could only be sent in through the Burma Road which connects to southwest China. Under the call of the famous leader Chen Jiageng, the overseas Chinese community bought 1,000 trucks for the Chinese army. Chen also called on the young and able-bodied men, to return and join the war effort as drivers and mechanics.

20-year-old Luo Kaihu heeded the call and left his home in Malaysia. Driving on the Burma Road was full of bumps and dangers. By the end of the war, over half of the 3,200 drivers and mechanics had died from Japanese bombings, car accidents and malaria.

"The road was so dangerous. We had to pass tests. If you couldn’t turn the truck around in some places, you failed. Many of us had malaria. I did, too. When I felt sick, I stopped the truck and took a rest, then I kept on driving," Luo said.

"I'll never regret it. All overseas Chinese share the same passion for their motherland. None of us ran away when we were in the war."

Today, two monuments in the southwest province of Yunnan stand in honour of the Nan Qiao Ji Gong, one in Kunming and the other in Wanding.

This monument was built in 1989. It's the first in China to commemorate the overseas Chinese drivers and mechanics who took part in the War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression. Every year, thousands of people come here to pay their respects to those who served, and those who died.

Now, only about thirteen of these overseas Chinese are still around to tell their stories, with the hope that their spirit and memories will live on.
南侨机工,基本由东南亚地区的华侨组成,共3000多人,分别由前后约9批回国支援抗战,为抗战做出了特殊的贡献。他们归国后,主要从事滇缅公路的运输和汽车维修等工作。

事件背景

抗战爆发后,日军侵略沿海城市,国民政府集中了陆军精锐于上海与敌展开了激烈战斗,上海是当时中国的重要工商业城市——经济重镇。由于日军的侵略,沿海的大量工商业工厂和银行等,纷纷从沿海迁往内地,中国守军的殊死抵抗,为这些工商业工厂和银行的搬迁争取了一定的时间。其中大批工厂就迁到了云南昆明,由于地处大西南,昆明就成为了抗战的大后方。当时在昆明重建的工厂就有几十家之多,主要从事钢铁和军工产业。伴随工商业工厂等一同迁徙的还有大量的人员,西南地区人口猛增。但是当时中国的军工生产能力比较落后,可以制造一些良好的轻型武器,但是向飞机和坦克、卡车等重型装备,则依靠外界援助或者对外购买;还有生产原料和迁徙人员的日常生活用品。

中国当时沿海重要港口基本都失陷,而西北公路和滇越铁路也由于国际局势的变化,先后断绝。国民政府考虑了可能出现的上述危机,于1938年年底修建了一条从昆明至缅甸的公路,公路和缅甸的中央铁路连接,直通缅甸的仰光港,这就是滇缅公路。本来公路是为了抢运国际援助和国外购买的物资而紧急修建的,但是在公路竣工后,公路就成为了当时中国和外界联系的重要公路,不仅要负责抢运军事物资还要运输工业生产原料和大后方人民的生活物品。

国民政府成立了“西南运输处”负责相关运输事务。而运输处成立以后的第一要务便是大量地招募和训练司机,于是,大量的司机被政府派遣至缅甸仰光接车,将国外援助和购买的汽车、卡车等组装完成,并且载上物资,驶回西南大后方。有了汽车,滇缅公路才能发挥作用,从1939年至1942年的三年期间,滇缅公路一共抢运回国一万三千多辆汽车。当汽车有了保障的情况下,司机严重匮乏的情况便出现了,这时旅居海外的华侨向祖国伸出了救援之手。东南亚华侨领袖陈嘉庚先生,在得知祖国需要大量汽车司机和修理人员之后,发出了“南侨总会第六号公告”,号召华侨中的年轻司机和技工回国参加抗战,与国家一同战斗。通告马上得到了响应,众多爱国华侨踊跃报名,有的甚至放弃了当时的优越条件,当时志愿回国援助抗战的华侨前后共有3192人。他们被称为“南洋华侨机工回国服务团”,先后9批回国。

准备工作

离别之时,出现了诸多父母送子、妻子送郎的场面。根据当年第二批回国的南侨机工,王亚六老先生的回忆,当时在新加坡的码头马六甲,送别场景人山人海,连当时很多外国友人也来送行,那一批回国的南侨机工共500人左右,他们站在船的一边挥手告别,船都歪了。

当南侨机工们到达大后方之后,都要进行两个月左右的军事训练,根据老人回忆,这些知识之中,防空知识最为实用,防空知识在他们以后于滇缅公路上抢运物资之时,起了非常大的作用,拯救了很多机工的生命。在前面几批南侨机工已经投入到紧张的运输工作和修理工作的时候,后面几批南侨机工们也紧跟着前往祖国。

运输工作

由于抗战形势的越发严峻,大后方新组建的军队也要通过运输队,将他们送往前线,投入战斗。大西南的路崎岖难走,公路穿行于崇山峻岭之间,南侨机工们在之前的工作中,大多是在城市的道路上开车,可是到了大西南地区之后,就得掌握在崎岖的山路上行车的技术。因此,在行车过程中,事故也会偶尔发生,车毁人亡。

带动经济

由于滇缅公路的繁荣,带动了滇缅公路的道路上的经济发展和西南大后方地区的经济发展,至今在原滇缅公路的干道附近,还依然能找到诸多食宿行业,有的著名的食宿商店面前的车辆络绎不绝,甚至能前后相连大约一公里。 根据介绍,当时大后方的运输业十分繁荣,车辆来往频繁,昼夜不停,很多商人纷纷购买汽车、卡车等前往国外购进棉、纱等相关大量生活或日常生产物资,回国销售,而赚取较多的利润。运输带动了当时经济的繁荣,却存在一定的畸形繁荣的趋势。

据说当时公路上很多人都能一眼就认出南侨机工们来,对他们印象深刻。因为他们总是比较有讲究的,尤其头发总是一丝不苟。根据原南侨机工翁家贵老先生说,当年他们睡觉时都会在头上罩一个网兜把头发扎起来,不使头发散掉,早起之后只要进行简易的梳理就可以了。

当时,国民政府给南侨机工的工资比较高,再加上偶尔家中还会有些钱寄过来,所以当时的南侨机工的小伙子们总是把自己整理的很有精神,当时许多人都觉得这些小伙子们,仪表堂堂、有文化水平,并且有不错的工资收入,所以当时很多人都愿意将他们招为乘龙快婿。据说当时三分之一的南侨机工们与当地的女生们共结连理。

运输战斗

滇缅公路运输的黄金时期,没有延续一个很长的时期,由于日军侵略的加剧,东南亚和中国国土的逐渐沦陷,日军已经可以对滇缅公路的全线进行空袭了。 一开始敌军就想方设法要将公路切断,断绝外界的援助和当时中国与外界的联系。为了有效的断绝公路的运输,日军重点在公路的咽喉要道进行轰炸,也对来往的车辆进行轰炸。道路两旁的居民们为了保卫滇缅公路也进行了一系列的保护措施。昌淦桥架设于澜沧江上、惠通桥架设于怒江之上,这两座桥梁是敌军攻击的重中之重,滇缅公路关系重大,一刻也不能停止运转,两座大桥几经破坏,在敌空袭之后,抢修队便马上开始修复工作。1941年1月,日军飞机第14次轰炸昌淦桥,这座满目疮痍的大桥被彻底炸断。得手之后,敌通过电台宣布,滇缅公路断绝,3个月内无通车希望,一时紧张的气氛开始蔓延,但在不久之后,滇缅公路即恢复了运输和通车,南侨机工们其他运输队伍立即投入了紧张的运输工作。

原来抢修队已经事先考虑到大桥可能在敌人越发频繁的轰炸中被炸断,所以已经想到了替代办法,采用空汽油桶和木板做成渡船,然后司机们只要将汽车开上渡船,在将渡船拉过河即可。后来,又使用了空汽油桶和渡船所搭建起来的浮桥以提高通行能力。当“渡船”搭建好后,第一个上“渡船”的正是南侨机工中的王亚六老先生。老先生安全地将车驶过了澜沧江。

在运输过程中,车队经常也遭遇敌机的轰炸,南侨机工的司机们,要冒着敌机的轰炸在崎岖难行的上路上开车,便更难了。当时公路修建之后便立即投入使用,并非如现在的现代化公路一样。有的南侨机工便在空袭中壮烈牺牲。 高强度的运输任务和紧张的生活,加上汽车也有时穿行于气候条件恶劣的地区,南侨机工们也有些因为疾病而牺牲。

公路断绝

为了提高公路的通行能力,国民政府的交通部先后花费巨资,购买先进设备和物资,准备将滇缅公路铺设成柏油路面。1942年3月,正当公路的西面的路段进行铺设的时候,日军对缅甸发动了突然进攻,仰光港的大批没有来得及运输的物资被日军缴获,随后日军向北推进,并且打败了前来保卫的中、美、英联军,5月攻入云南境内占领了怒江以西的地区。1942年5月以后,滇缅公路的运输彻底断绝,公路上原本繁忙的司机和车辆变得多余了起来, 南侨机工们和众多司机则被解散。突然的失业,使得南侨机工们十分狼狈,在大后方举目无亲,再加上东南亚地区也基本被日军占领,无法再回去。所以在1942年的下半年,南侨机工们基本都度过了一段难忘的清苦的岁月。一些南侨机工们便是在那段日子中成了家。

好在当时汽车司机们找工作并不算是一件难事,南侨机工们大多都找到了一份赖以谋生的工作,直到抗战的胜利。

赤子功勋

1985年,云南省政府,在昆明西山为南侨机工们修建了一座“南侨机工抗日纪念碑”碑高9米,大理石贴面。以此来纪念那些毅然回国为祖国抗战服务的华侨赤子。纪念碑的碑文上这样写道“当年回国服务的南侨机工共有三千多人。有一千多人因战火、车祸和疾病 为国捐躯,另有一千多人在战后回到居住国,而剩下来的一千多人则一直留了下来。目前,幸存者不及百人……”。陈嘉庚先生生前一直对那一千多名南侨机工的牺牲感到不安,他嘱咐后人,每隔几年要去云南昆明代他祭奠那一千多名长眠于云南的华侨青年。2002年清明节,云南电视台拍摄了陈嘉庚先生的孙子陈立人先生来到昆明祭奠南侨机工,并且和南侨机工们的后人见面的情况。

如果滇缅公路意味着抗战的物资保障,那么那些归国服务的南侨机工们就是运输这物资的人,1939年至1942年的三年时间,滇缅公路一共抢运了50多万吨军需物资和1万5千多量汽车还有那些无法统计的其他物资及用品,根据统计,抗战中中国军队的物资和装备几乎有一半是通过滇缅公路运进来的,而运输着这些物资的汽车,正是由南侨机工们和其他司机一起驾驶的。他们为抗战做出的贡献,正如“南侨机工抗日纪念碑”底座上书写的四个大字“赤子功勋”。

2005年德宏傣族景颇族自治州人民政府在原滇缅公路中国段的终点——畹町,建成南洋华侨机工回国抗日纪念碑。纪念碑高悬云空,直指苍天,气势雄伟,俯瞰着滇缅公路。

* 词条由网民创作并享有版权,请保护版权归属
了解更多 南侨机工 的讨论 用百度知道
Source :Baidu, CCTV

Nice Quote :
"I'll never regret it. All overseas Chinese share the same passion for their motherland. None of us ran away when we were in the war."

We are brothers and there is no one can DIVIDE us.
@AndrewJin @Place Of Space @Beast
Yeah, many overseas Chinese have made great contributions to China, no matter during war time or during economic development phase.
The richest guy from Malaysia invested in Beijing during 1980s-1990s when China was boycotted by the Anglo-Saxon regime.

It's very reasonable to say, without the generous assistance of overseas Chinese, China couldn't make it today.
Don't mention the beautiful Xiamen University, and many higher education institutes in China, are founded or financially supported by overseas Chinese. Sport faculties in every university in China are partially supported by overseas Chinese, cause they firmly believe we must be physically strong even we have one of the highest IQ. During Beijing Olympics, remember the amazing Water Cube? That charming building was entirely financed by overseas Chinese, donations from several yuan to millions.

Robert Kuok's investment in Shanghai
His projects have totally changed the old and shaggy appearance of the west bank of Shanghai
And his youngest son is named after Confucius.
429c96ef76c6a7ef154e9839fffaaf51f2de66d6.jpg

32a6d20735fae6cd4231607c0db30f2443a70fb7-1.jpg

@Daniel808 China has many universities that are directly administered by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office under the State Council.

Xiamen University, founded by overseas Chinese
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_Kah_Kee
芙蓉楼群全景.jpg

群贤楼群鸟瞰图.jpg
建南楼群鸟瞰图.jpg
群贤楼群正立面.jpg
上弦场.jpg
厦大图书馆.jpg

Last edited:
Look things were bad for everyone under the crumbling last years of the despot Suharto. Time to move on.

India - Indonesia friendship and cooperation is important to us and our expats in Indonesia are now safe, stable and helping to increase the country- country contacts and engagement.

Sure the radical elements will be there, they are there in every big country.....but as long as most people are good genuine people or at least focused on business (and thus its bad business to discriminate)....I dont think Indonesia will revert to late 90s tense oppressive atmosphere.

Only the Bali Hindu is safe becasue they are majority owner of island. Indian spreading in other areas risk extremely horror threatens as well, if you read news the extremism Indonesian mulims / terrorists crushed a minority non-muslim village.

Only the Bali Hindu is safe becasue they are majority owner of island. Indian spreading in other areas risk extremely horror threatens as well, if you read news the extremism Indonesian mulims / terrorists crushed a minority non-muslim village.

d9474a5900fc34bd8e440fcfd2b57c59.jpg

You have problem with your intelligence?

Since when many = all or = most? :cuckoo:
"I said many if not majority of pribumi has sentiment toward chinese Indonesia, not all!

Read again my statement. Who is retard here."

from oxford dictionary

"MOST"
1 Greatest in amount or degree:
1.1 The majority of; nearly all of:
:D

Only the Bali Hindu is safe becasue they are majority owner of island. Indian spreading in other areas risk extremely horror threads as well, if you read news the extremism Indonesian mulims / terrorists crushed a minority non-muslim village.

There are bad areas sure. But Jakarta is pretty cosmopolitan and thats where most Indian businessmen expats and their families are located.

Older communities live peacefully in other areas such as Medan:

"I said many if not majority of pribumi has sentiment toward chinese Indonesia, not all!

Read again my statement. Who is retard here."

from oxford dictionary

"MOST"
1 Greatest in amount or degree:
1.1 The majority of; nearly all of:
:D

And why you omit the word ""NOT" before the ""Majority"?

Do you understand the meaning of: "many if NOT majority" ??

That means: I am not sure whether it is majority or not, but many. Such a retard.

There are bad areas sure. But Jakarta is pretty cosmopolitan and thats where most Indian businessmen expats and their families are located.

Older communities live peacefully in other areas such as Medan:

Dont worry. These "radical fascist" only target Christian or Chinese at the moment, not Hindu yet.

Hindu is not growing fast in Indonesia, while Christian is growing fast and Chinese is dominating economy, they are the envy for these radicals.

Chinese dominating the economy

hell yeah it was happened in Soeharto era but not in today society, as most of them had run away with their wealth to Singapore and Hong Kong and bring BLBI funds with them

according to today Forbes, among the top ten of richest Indonesian, most is native, with one Indian ethnic and three Chinese descent.

When China had a massive famine in the 60s, PRC asked Malaysian Chinese tycoon for help to buy sugar. Robert kuok did not even hesitant and accep the request of PRC. He never make money from the process but just felt obliged as a Chinese to help China. What do u think? So when they are in trouble, China shall dump them?

Ah I wasn't aware of that. I hope other Chinese in SEA feel the same way toward China too!

Certainly it would be great if China helps them. That said I've always wondered how Singaporean and Malay Chinese feel toward China, whether they are Western aligned or what.

That said I've always wondered how Singaporean and Malay Chinese feel toward China, whether they are Western aligned or what.

I have seen from one extreme to the other....with most in the middle :P

No, You are wrong.

Many of Overseas Chinese in Indonesia is also from recent years (1912-1950s)
Many of them, become Immigrants because Xinhai Revolution (1912) and Second Sino-Japan War (1931-1945).

Most of Overseas Chinese in Indonesia is from Mainland (People's Republic of China), just small portion from Taiwan (ROC).

Some of my friends still have Connection with their Family in China (Most of it from Beijing City, Shanghai City, Guangdong and Fujian Province) :-)
But, most of Overseas Chinese in Indonesia is not lucky enough to estlabish Connection again with their Families in China, because Indonesian Discrimination law (1965-1999).

Oh okay thanks for sharing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom