What's new

In Indonesia, 1998 violence against ethnic Chinese remains unaddressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Only when mass politics began to grow out of the army’s ability to control it in May 1998 did it turn to anti-Chinese riots as a solution. "

Why turn to anti-Chinese riots is a solution?
If you read my post fully, you'll find the answer to that question there. "It doesn't comes out from thin air..."
If you need more explanation, I suggest read the whole article. Search the title that I post , this article is in a pdf form.

ps: keep in mind that the term anti-chinese here is not addressed toward the citizen of china. rather toward indonesian whom ancestors are from tionghoa.... they are indonesian..
so the riot here is between a group of indonesian and a minority of indonesian... hence why a poster here said that this is an internal matter.

1998 was an F***up time... i remember that at that time i wasn't allowed to go outside the housing camp... most people just stay at home and watch the news
thank god that that regime was stopped.

Last edited:
Nice... keep up the good work, Indonesia.

To be honest, this post make me lose my respect to you. Previously, I regard you as good poster, but I just realize that you're just another racist.

"Only when mass politics began to grow out of the army’s ability to control it in May 1998 did it turn to anti-Chinese riots as a solution. "

Because the regime, Soeharto was rules over Indonesia for 32 years. to protect his dynasty, he wanted his people to divert their attention to the others. And Chinese ethic was an excellent choice because nobody care about them.

The reason why Soeharto won't use the American / American descendants was because there were American warships ready to take action if he did that in 1998.

Last edited:
To be honest, this post make me lose my respect to you. Previously, I regard you as good poster, but I just realize that you're just another racist.
No prob. Indonesia as a nation should not be taken hostage by past mistake as we keep improving ourself and healing our wound. Don't succumb to self pity. Indonesia is a proud nation, and we're improving.

If you read my post fully, you'll find the answer to that question there. "It doesn't comes out from thin air..."
If you need more explanation, I suggest read the whole article. Search the title that I post , this article is in a pdf form.

ps: keep in mind that the term anti-chinese here is not addressed toward the citizen of china. rather toward indonesian whom ancestors are from tionghoa.... they are indonesian..
so the riot here is between a group of indonesian and a minority of indonesian... hence why a poster here said that this is an internal matter.

1998 was an F***up time... i remember that at that time i wasn't allowed to go outside the housing camp... most people just stay at home and watch the news
thank god that that regime was stopped.

You still have not answered my question.
Why turn to anti-Chinese riots is a solution? Not the solution turning to anti-native Indonesian, anti-Indian, anti-Malay, anti-Dutch, anti-whoever? You don't find out the reason, you will never solve it. At least I know one reason, Chinese in Indonesia live too dispersive, in this case, you are both minority in country and region. You'd better learn from Tamil, Achinese. Tamil all together live in Bali, Achinese living in Aceh. They are minority in the country, but they are majority in their region.

During the first five months of 1998, Indonesia underwent a destabilizing but ultimately successful transition that culminated in 1999 in the seating of a new democratic government. The process that led to Suharto’s resignation on May 21, however, was marked by some extremely heavy-handed interventions in contentious politics by elements of his regime that included the purposeful orchestration of anti-Chinese riots in Jakarta, Medan, and Solo. We endeavored in this essay to explain why Medan and Solo, in particular, were wracked by anti-Chinese violence while the similar cities of Surabaya and Yogyakarta were spared the escalation of sparking events into full-blown ethnic rioting and illustrate that anti-Chinese riots were a conscious tactic employed by state security forces. In the face of unmanageable student demonstrations that (a) began to attract large mass followings off campuses and (b) focused their rhetorical and geographical energies on the regimes’ inability to cope with the economic crisis, security forces and especially army special forces units deployed preman with whom they had standing ties. These preman took preexisting mass mobilization-against the regime—and actively shifted its rhetorical and targeting frame to one focused on ethnic Chinese businessmen and their property. These actions by no means created anti-Chinese prejudice out of thin air. A long historical legacy of active construction of ethnic cleavages by Dutch colonial authorities and then by both the Sukarno and Suharto regimes, along with a seriously skewed concentration of capital in the ethnic Chinese commercial community in most major Indonesian cities, generated a sense among pribumi Indonesians of economic favoritism toward the Chinese. However, nearly all the time interethnic relations are peaceful, if not always harmonious, and antiChinese violence has been rare. Only when mass politics began to grow out of the army’s ability to control it in May 1998 did it turn to anti-Chinese riots as a solution. This carries one positive implication: given the transition in 1999, the successful second elections of 2004 and upcoming third elections in 2009, and the increasing retrenchment of the Indonesian armed forces from politics, it seems unlikely that such political crises would again catalyze state-orchestrated ethnic riots against Chinese. Looking more broadly at the dynamics of ethnic riots, the May riots in Indonesia suggest that we ought to refine and expand our focus on states as not just passive builders of 240 WORLD DEVELOPMENT structural conditions but as central and proximate actors in the development of riots. Where Brass (1997) notes that scholars of ethnic politics can learn much by asking who stands to benefit from the labeling of events as “communal violence,’’ we concur. Moreover, in authoritarian settings, especially ones marked by preexisting ethnic prejudices like these, crisis periods are among the most likely ones for state actors to play central roles. What does this mean for the comparative study of ethnic riots? For one, it suggests a need for renewed and more systematic attention to local state actors alongside the already well-developed theories focused on political competition, civic life, and ethnic identity construction. To be frank, data collection, especially of the quantitative sort, is likely to be more dif- ficult in this direction than in others but is no less important

thanks the lord for helping indonesians stop that f***ing regime. imagine what else might happen if indonesian didn't.

No 1 reason is: social jealousy; though many chinese in Indonesia are still poor, but chinese tycoons dominate Indonesian economy; and after Gusdur era chinese start to exist in social and political arena, that furthermore make natives become more jealous.

No 2 reason is: some hatred teaching from fascist side of a religion (jihad, hostility against kafeer, thirst of pride, defend God, etc) over morality side.

Because of those 2 reasons, mean political parties take advantage by provoking Indonesian natives to hate chinese and riots.

Last edited:

Because the regime, Soeharto was rules over Indonesia for 32 years. to protect his dynasty, he wanted his people to divert their attention to the others. And Chinese ethic was an excellent choice because nobody care about them.

The reason why Soeharto won't use the American / American descendants was because there were American warships ready to take action if he did that in 1998.

"The reason why Soeharto won't use the American / American descendants was because there were American warships ready to take action if he did that in 1998."
In your whole mind, this logic isn't wise. Find method of depending on yourself firstly, than seek helps from others. You should establish your own party, group, orgalization, religion centre. If you have no community, how can others find and help you? You try all efforts selling out the property, business in Java, Sumatra, move to areas you have land border with other nations, when there are riots, you can escape to foreign nations for a while. Even those efforts will pay price, in long term, it will be more suitable.

Racist is one thing. Barbaric is another thing.

Justify riot, hatred, massacre for what ever reason is uncivilized / barbaric. Unfortunately there are many of us still have that thought in their mind especially in some people who justify killing and wage hostility for religion.

You still have not answered my question.
seriously. the answer to your question is on my first post.. the post that you quote at your first post. i'm not trying to avoid answering your question, my first post seriously answer your question...
These actions by no means created anti-Chinese prejudice out of thin air. A long historical legacy of active construction of ethnic cleavages by Dutch colonial authorities and then by both the Sukarno and Suharto regimes, along with a seriously skewed concentration of capital in the ethnic Chinese commercial community in most major Indonesian cities, generated a sense among pribumi Indonesians of economic favoritism toward the Chinese.
and if you want to know more about it, then i suggest read the full article

to avert the energy, focus, pressure toward their regime, suharto's regime "moves" the mobs to anything that could easily be a scapegoat at that time. yes, as you mention, it could be any minorities in indonesia. but base on the situation at that time, and the precondition that already exist thus the regime choose the tionghoas.

in fact at that time there were even rumors that the mob were "moved" to any foreign company and anyone who work there.

"The reason why Soeharto won't use the American / American descendants was because there were American warships ready to take action if he did that in 1998."
In your whole mind, this logic isn't wise. Find method of depending on yourself firstly, than seek helps from others. You should establish your own party, group, orgalization, religion centre. If you have no community, how can others find and help you? You try all efforts selling out the property, business in Java, Sumatra, move to areas you have land border with other nations, when there are riots, you can escape to foreign nations for a while. Even those efforts will pay price, in long term, it will be more suitable.

Don't worry. I don't say that I want to depend to other. I just say about Soeharto.

Today, xenophobe problem still happen in our country. But it's not about the Chinese descendant alone. The burn of Vihara / Buddhist temples were just one of problem that we have face lately. Previously, there were attack to the people who embrace Shia and Ahmadiah sect, and there were also disharmony about the Javanese trans-migrant with the local in East Kalimantan. There were also killing in Balikpapan that involved Madura ethic and Dayak, etc.

seriously. the answer to your question is on my first post.. the post that you quote at your first post. i'm not trying to avoid answering your question, my first post seriously answer your question...

and if you want to know more about it, then i suggest read the full article

to avert the energy, focus, pressure toward their regime, suharto's regime "moves" the mobs to anything that could easily be a scapegoat at that time. yes, as you mention, it could be any minorities in indonesia. but base on the situation at that time, and the precondition that already exist thus the regime choose the tionghoas.

in fact at that time there were even rumors that the mob were "moved" to any foreign company and anyone who work there.

Those history research are meaningless. It can't solve seriouse real-life risk. I ask your question because I want you to find actual solution, not complain their crimes or have to ask for an apology. The real visible benefits are more important, and that will be precondition for the future.

We can see much hatred and grudge instilled within many Indonesian today. One provoking article could spark much hidden hostility that stored deep inside. Why should 98 incident be connected with Chinese? and why should Chinese be singled out and focused in this issue? 98 is a historic year, as we achieved our 'freedom' and should be celebrated. I won't associate 98 with horror, i associate 98 with Hope. See the big pictures. That's why, good job Indonesia!

And why Indonesia should answer Chinese poster that try to act like a good boy here. Chinese govt grind their protester with Tanks at tianament square with a smile... They have many question to be answered..

Last edited:
Don't worry. I don't say that I want to depend to other. I just say about Soeharto.

Today, xenophobe problem still happen in our country. But it's not about the Chinese descendant alone. The burn of Vihara / Buddhist temples were just one of problem that we have face lately. Previously, there were attack to the people who embrace Shia and Ahmadiah sect, and there were also disharmony about the Javanese trans-migrant with the local in East Kalimantan. There were also killing in Balikpapan that involved Madura ethic and Dayak, etc.

Indonesia has free migration policy? Or the people have to settle in the city/ area the govt appointed?

I live in Hubei provice, now I want to buy property in Sichuan province, settle there. Or I live in city, now I want to live in countryside. The policy / law / practices permit it, it's free migration.

It's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom