What's new

In India, no toilets for women

Status
Not open for further replies.
In last 5 years Pakistan's cumulative defence budget was in the zone of 32 billion USD. Even our sanitation budget is for 5 years i.e. about 6.4 billion USD per annum.
Inspite of all their stupidity, this NDA govt has got this right ... lots of govt offices do not have decent toilet for their employees.
sanitation rarely captures imagination or gets you votes.

Utter BS. All those "artificial" things like toilets, medicine, laws etc etc have increased the human lifespan by several decades and are not made by "nature" either

Proper sanitation is a must for any society these days and the current situation in India is nothing else but an embarrassment.
The lack of a sanitation and sewage system thats working kills tens of thousands of people each year in India and costs us billions of dollars, and all you have is your "paid media" conspiracy BS?
Is it that those people dont matter to you or is it because of your feel good factor?

"In 2013 more than 340,000 children under five died from diarrhoeal diseases due to a lack of safe water, sanitation and basic hygiene – an average of almost 1,000 deaths per day."
Lack of toilets dangerous for everyone, UNICEF says | Press centre | UNICEF

I wish you could have read in detail before vomiting out. Did i disagree anywhere that we dont need proper sewage and sanitation system? Please read my post again and comprehend.

Did you read authors post, he speaks about village and people going out or saving money for girls wedding etc.
People dont do it because they love to defect in open, but it because there are manythings in life which has more priority. Like having a roof over head, or to provide 3 meals so its natural for them to miss the whitewash coat on house and many other small small things including toilets as they are trying to make there life out of what they have. As and when pockets will allow people will upgrade to better living standards. Leaving aside the old generation who has for there major part of life gone in nature, might not find it so much of problem, but the young generation if possible in general try to access proper toilets.

I am sure you have access to some towns, cities, do you find house built without toilets in it? Only certain slum areas of cities which has those kucha houses would not have proper toilets. Now if you move down to villages which are doing good economically, again you would find they have proper access to toilets. Its only the backward villages and rural areas where people are not capable to build or maintain toilets, they take route to nature.

Most of the tier 2 and 3 cities and above now have working sewage system, the open sewage system have gone underground at majority of places. Focus has to be made on making public urinals and toilets to cut down the public urinating menace and govt is working upon that with sulabh system.

Well work is being done on raising awareness about sanitation and hygiene and govt has started construction of large number of toilets!
It will take time but we can definitely overcome this problem like we done in various other sectors.

Did you read authors post, he speaks about village and people going out or saving money for girls wedding etc.
People dont do it because they love to defect in open, but it because there are manythings in life which has more priority. Like having a roof over head, or to provide 3 meals so its natural for them to miss the whitewash coat on house and many other small small things including toilets as they are trying to make there life out of what they have. As and when pockets will allow people will upgrade to better living standards. Leaving aside the old generation who has for there major part of life gone in nature, might not find it so much of problem, but the young generation if possible in general try to access proper toilets..

Thats exactly the problem: Misplaced priorities.
Too many people dont see sanitation as a necessity but save up money on ridiculous social affairs.

Didnt you read the numbers? Tens of thousands die in India alone due to infectious diseases caused by terrible sanitation and hygiene. Its not just a topic of good manners (Obviously). And I am not even mentioning the financial costs.

And its not only the uneducated poor rural folks who do it, even the richer educated ones do it... Parents still tell their children to take a piss in the open instead of telling them to walk a home to use a toilet there. The problem exists within the mindset, not necessarily their wallets. Why else do you see people demanding all kinds of improvements from politicians, except for proper sanitation? Or even a waste management system? Because of wrong priorities.

People in MH fight about beef ban, yet I ve to see such passion for the most basic things which are still lacking... They call Mumbai the economic powerhouse of India, yet it does not have a working sewage system or waste disposal system.

And till that change of mind happens, the world will and shall continue laughing at us... a nation in which tens of thousands of people, mostly children, die in such a horrible way because people are too uninterested in implementing the most basic things.

Half of India's cities have no piped water or sewer systems - Telegraph
Around 80% of sewage in Indian cities flows into water systems - The Times of India
How India's cities came to drown in sewage and waste | Environment | The Guardian
Water pollution in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.cseindia.org/userfiles/prof_asolekar.pdf

You know I could go one for pages with these links... (unfortunately)

And the saddest part is, we were one of the first in the world to build highly advanced sewage systems thousands of years ago.... and now this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom