What's new

In India 7 yrs in jail for eating beef; cops can raid on mere suspicion

Although I agree with your sentiments, there are a few corrections needed.
1) The law targets slaughter and not consumption of beef. So a beef consumer can consume as much beef as they want. The aim of this law though I agree is to stop consumption.
Consuming, keeping, slaughtering or transporting a cow can give you up to 7 years in jail. Please read this article again. MP law: 7 yrs in jail for eating beef, cops can raid on mere suspicion - Indian Express

2) Pig slaughter for Muslims is not the same as Cow slaughter for Hindus. The pig is considered unholy while the cow is considered holy. A slaughtered pig carcass placed in a Mosque will have a much bigger reaction when compared to a slaughtered cow carcass in a mosque.
It doesn't really matter consumption of pork is banned in Islam and consumption of beef is banned in Hinduism yet the "secular" country bans it but the not so secular country allows it.

Also I do not think you can compare Pakistani and Indian tolerance to difference in opinions. I can talk about how stupid this law is in India openly without worrying about someone killing me for insulting their religion.
In a country where a simple cow slaughter means death then I'm not so sure.

DUde the fact that Brahamins used to eat cow meat should be enough to make these Hindu extremists realize this law is bs, especially to their minorities.

In Pakistan it depends who you arguing with. Same in India. If you were saying this amongst Hindu hardliners(Saffrons), I'm sure you would be attacked. It's funny Indians read sensationalist media about Pakistan when your own country is not that much different.

Maybe we are digressing from the core topic but when we read about lawyers showering a murderer with rose petals, one needs to ask how deep does extremism run in Pakistan.

Why so much hue and cry being not able to Eat beef ??

I mean its not only mean available in the world or Eating Beef is obligatory for any religion ??

Does eating beef makes a good muslim ?? I don't think so.

In indian beef eating has been used as tactics for Muslims to demonstrate complete differentiation and conversion from the Hinduism of their ancestors as they accept the new religion of Islam.

But Hindus in Kerala too eat beef.............by the by welcome back buddy

DUde the fact that Brahamins used to eat cow meat should be enough to make these Hindu extremists realize this law is bs, especially to their minorities.

brahmins dont eat any meat let alone cows meat

Indian Muslims aren't dying to eat cow meat .

Those indian muslims who can't survive without beef ,choose to create Pakistan and went there.

By and large indian muslim respect the sentiments of hindus and have no problem with the diktat .

PS: why pakistanis are going crazy .They can eat as much beef as they can ,if that what give them great satisfaction.

brahmins dont eat any meat let alone cows meat

Man hindus, particularly Brahmins used to eat beef no problem before in history. This is a fact.

I don't think alcohol or Pork is available in lawless FATA.Anyways BJP enacta this law for votebank but don't bother enforcing them.

I don't think alcohol or Pork is available in lawless FATA.Anyways BJP enacta this law for votebank but don't bother enforcing them.

You sir, might be in for a shocking surprise.

Just had a nice T-Bone steak cooked medium rare at Kobe's in Bangalore. Wonder if the imaginary police would come and put me in jail for 7 years.
Laws like these are cooked up by political parties in areas where they believe communal split can win them the majority. Cannot come to pass as what is bound to follow is PIL's against this and long enduring cases in the duration of decades.

But Hindus in Kerala too eat beef.............by the by welcome back buddy

I don't think so. Don't tell me Nambudiri Brahmins of kerela eat beef.

Those few hindus who eat beef ,do it out of their own free will .They will certainly hesitate to say that in public like they do it here with some degree of boasting.

Thank you.

Consuming, keeping, slaughtering or transporting a cow can give you up to 7 years in jail. Please read this article again. MP law: 7 yrs in jail for eating beef, cops can raid on mere suspicion - Indian Express

I would rely more on
The Hindu : States / Other States : Madhya Pradesh cow slaughter ban Act gets Presidential nod
which doesn't talk of any ban consumption. Neither does the timesofindia which loves to make sensational claims.
Cow slaughter to carry 7-year jail term in Madhya Pradesh - Times Of India

I suspect the author in Indian express decided to extrapolate and come up with their own inferences.

It doesn't really matter consumption of pork is banned in Islam and consumption of beef is banned in Hinduism yet the "secular" country bans it but the not so secular country allows it.

I agree with that but what I wanted to point out was there is a difference in stature of the 2 animals in the religions. I guess a Muslim would be indifferent to slaughter of an animal they consider abhorrent while being extremely sensitive about the desecration of articles of religion which they hold in great esteem.

In a country where a simple cow slaughter means death then I'm not so sure.

This is plain BS.

I am surprised that there are quiet a few of my countrymen who seem to support this ridiculous law.

I am not sure how accurate that article is about the law but if it is true, this law attacks my fundamental rights. Cows/Bullocks are already farmed, are consumed globally as food and not endangered creatures that need protection from the law. I can already see this law being used to harass all cross sections of society with the policeman allowed to enter houses to search for beef products. Religious sensitivities can be adequately addressed by prescribing strict norms for slaughter, display and sale of meat products.

well said totally agreed :tup:

Beef eating: strangulating history

While one must respect the sentiments of those who worship cow and regard her as their mother, to take offence to the objective study of history just because the facts don't suit their political calculations is yet another sign of a society where liberal space is being strangulated by the practitioners of communal politics. [text Tag=blue-tint][/Text]PROF. D. N. JHA, a historian from Delhi University, had been experiencing the nightmares of `threats to life' from anonymous callers who were trying to prevail upon him not to go ahead with the publication of his well researched work, Holy Cow: Beef in Indian Dietary Traditions.

As per the reports it is a work of serious scholarship based on authentic sources in tune with methods of scientific research in history. The book demonstrates that contrary to the popular belief even today a large number of Indians, the indigenous people in particular and many other communities in general, consume beef unmindful of the dictates of the Hindutva forces.

It is too well known to recount that these Hindutva forces confer the status of mother to the cow. Currently 72 communities in Kerala - not all of them untouchables - prefer beef to the expensive mutton and the Hindutva forces are trying to prevail upon them to stop the same.

Not tenable

To begin with the historian breaks the myth that Muslim rulers introduced beef eating in India. Much before the advent of Islam in India beef had been associated with Indian dietary practices. Also it is not at all tenable to hold that dietary habits are a mark of community identity.

A survey of ancient Indian scriptures, especially the Vedas, shows that amongst the nomadic, pastoral Aryans who settled here, animal sacrifice was a dominant feature till the emergence of settled agriculture. Cattle were the major property during this phase and they offered the same to propitiate the gods. Wealth was equated with the ownership of the cattle.

Many gods such as Indra and Agni are described as having special preferences for different types of flesh - Indra had weakness for bull's meat and Agni for bull's and cow's. It is recorded that the Maruts and the Asvins were also offered cows. In the Vedas there is a mention of around 250 animals out of which at least 50 were supposed to be fit for sacrifice and consumption. In the Mahabharata there is a mention of a king named Rantideva who achieved great fame by distributing foodgrains and beef to Brahmins. Taittiriya Brahman categorically tells us: `Verily the cow is food' (atho annam via gauh) and Yajnavalkya's insistence on eating the tender (amsala) flesh of the cow is well known. Even later Brahminical texts provide the evidence for eating beef. Even Manusmriti did not prohibit the consumption of beef.

As a medicine

In therapeutic section of Charak Samhita (pages 86-87) the flesh of cow is prescribed as a medicine for various diseases. It is also prescribed for making soup. It is emphatically advised as a cure for irregular fever, consumption, and emaciation. The fat of the cow is recommended for debility and rheumatism.

With the rise of agricultural economy and the massive transformation occurring in society, changes were to be brought in in the practice of animal sacrifice also. At that time there were ritualistic practices like animal sacrifices, with which Brahmins were identified. Buddha attacked these practices. There were sacrifices, which involved 500 oxen, 500 male calves, 500 female calves and 500 sheep to be tied to the sacrificial pole for slaughter. Buddha pointed out that aswamedha, purusmedha, vajapeya sacrifices did not produce good results. According to a story in Digha Nikaya, when Buddha was touring Magadha, a Brahmin called Kutadanta was preparing for a sacrifice with 700 bulls, 700 goats and 700 rams. Buddha intervened and stopped him. His rejection of animal sacrifice and emphasis on non-injury to animals assumed a new significance in the context of new agriculture.

The threat from Buddhism

The emphasis on non-violence by Buddha was not blind or rigid. He did taste beef and it is well known that he died due to eating pork. Emperor Ashok after converting to Buddhism did not turn to vegetarianism. He only restricted the number of animals to be killed for the royal kitchen.

So where do matters change and how did the cow become a symbol of faith and reverence to the extent of assuming the status of `motherhood'? Over a period of time mainly after the emergence of Buddhism or rather as an accompaniment of the Brahminical attack on Buddhism, the practices started being looked on with different emphasis. The threat posed by Buddhism to the Brahminical value system was too severe. In response to low castes slipping away from the grip of Brahminism, the battle was taken up at all the levels. At philosophical level Sankara reasserted the supremacy of Brahminical values, at political level King Pushyamitra Shung ensured the physical attack on Buddhist monks, at the level of symbols King Shashank got the Bodhi tree (where Gautama the Buddha got Enlightenment) destroyed.

One of the appeals to the spread of Buddhism was the protection of cattle wealth, which was needed for the agricultural economy. In a way while Brahminism `succeeded' in banishing Buddhism from India, it had also to transform itself from the `animal sacrifice' state to the one which could be in tune with the times. It is here that this ideology took up the cow as a symbol of their ideological march. But unlike Buddha whose pronouncements were based on reason, the counteraction of Brahminical ideology took the form of a blind faith based on assertion. So while Buddha's non-violence was for the preservation of animal wealth for the social and compassionate reasons the counter was based purely on symbolism. So while the followers of Brahminical ideology accuse Buddha of `weakening' India due to his doctrine of non-violence, he was not a cow worshipper or vegetarian in the current Brahminical sense.

Despite the gradual rigidification of Brahminical `cow as mother' stance, large sections of low castes continued the practice of beef eating. The followers of Buddhism continued to eat flesh including beef. Since Brahminism is the dominant religious tradition, Babur, the first Mughal emperor, in his will to his son Humayun, in deference to these notions, advised him to respect the cow and avoid cow slaughter. With the construction of Hindutva ideology and politics, in response to the rising Indian national movement, the demand for ban on cow slaughter also came up. In post-Independence India RSS repeatedly raised this issue to build up a mass campaign but without any response to its call till the 1980s.

While one must respect the sentiments of those who worship cow and regard her as their mother, to take offence to the objective study of history just because the facts don't suit their political calculations is yet another sign of a society where liberal space is being strangulated by the practitioners of communal politics. We have seen enough such threats and offences in recent past - be it the opposition to films or the destruction of paintings, or the dictates of the communalists to the young not to celebrate Valentine's Day, etc., - and hope the democratic spirit of our Constitution holds the forte and any threat to the democratic freedom is opposed tooth and nail.

Prof. RAM PUNIYANI

A member of EKTA (Committee for Communal Amity), Mumbai

The Hindu : Beef eating: strangulating history

Back
Top Bottom