What's new

In exclusive deal, India to get ‘Most Advanced’ F-16 fighter jets by 2019-20

66% of the F16 order will be eligible for a new fighter F22 E (exports) post 2020-22. to be purchased by only handful of nations (5 in numbers as of now with Japan and India and 3 others with limited purchases)
It can be attributed to the recent news of restarting F22 program. So it might not be totally incorrect also.

Also India explicitly asked for Radar, Stealth, Communication, Reduced detection capabilities, RAM technology and armaments to be completely shared with partial codes for any meaningful offer.
We might be getting ahead of ourselves, not by asking above complete tech but expecting it to be handed out.

As L&M are closing F-16 production lines in US so they need someone (a scapegoat, to be precise) to mint extra money when legacy of F-16s is finishing. Even if there was a slightest of potential for future F-16s exports then they would have continued producing them in already running plant. Nonetheless Turkey is a NATO ally and a close friend of US and already producing F-16s in its facilities, so if at all it was beneficial for Turkey to ask for such a venture then they would have already asked for it. In MMRCA L&M pitched F-16 Block 60 but it didnt qualify and here we are hearing about a futuristic Block 70/72. Its more or less a bait and it would be quite interesting if India takes it or not.

what if a production line is shifted to pakistan would you reject it because nothing more is left there to upgrade be it with block 52 or 60 leave alone block 70.. now dont tell me you already have the infra or know how...

secondly MMRCA is / was all about RAfael ( these F16 if selected is meant for filling up the gap once mig 21s or 27s retires) along with LCA mk1. F16s are not a substitute of rafael.

if you notice THE HINDU is India's most reputable(or India's equivalent to leftists newspaper NYT,The Guardian) newspaper. so I don't think it will report falsely.but i also think it has an agenda bcoz THE HINDU is also batting for LM since last 2-3 articles. and also what is block 70/72? what will be its additional features? i am curious to know that.

LOLWUT!!!!

Block 70/72 o_O

Block 60 is the latest version which was developed for UAE and india will probably get the same deal if we take the news to be true.
The F-16IN (India) Block 70/72 is an evolution of the UAE's block 60 and modified for the IAF:

00001_153.jpg

qlmdipmtazqs98n69odr.jpg

Block 70/72 o_O

Block 60 is the latest version which was developed for UAE and india will probably get the same deal if we take the news to be true.
The F-16IN (India) Block 70/72 is an evolution of the UAE's block 60 and modified for the IAF:

00001_153.jpg

qlmdipmtazqs98n69odr.jpg

http://www.sps-aviation.com/mmrca.asp?id=5&h=Lockheed-Martin-Presents-the-F-16IN-Super-Viper

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/not-your-fathers-f-16-take-a-tour-of-the-f-16in-super-1676745840

Why? What happened to the Rafale?

Nothing has happened to it, the Rafale is still coming to the IAF, the US offers (for F-16 and F-18) are entirely seperate to the Rafale buy (at least 90 are assured for the IAF and another 100 for the IN). The US is pushing hard for their jets to be made in India but that doesn't mean they will be.

I have mixed feeling about the news, but coming from the CEO of LM there could be some element of true, \
The only reason why India will go for F 16 is to fill the void left by Mig 21's. And the rate of production of Tejas seem not in proportion to fill Mig 21s

At least the OP seem to suggest that the agreement has been signed. Anyway, India need a fighter plane to fill the void left by Mig21s, and MKI and Rafale don't fit the bill and Tejas production rate is too slow. There are only two fighter that fit the bill: F-16s and Gripen. India has to go for either of the one.

120 LCA will be in service by 2025:

tumblr_o9nt93M09m1tjfjuco1_1280.png

If there is a need to induct the LCA at a greater rate then LCA production can be increased.

It is quite clear the F-16,F-18 and Gripen deals have NOTHING to do with a specific operational need but boosting the defence component of this GoI's Make in India policy and attempting to create world class industries in India. Specifcially, it is to boost the private sector's contribution. The Rafale, MKI, FGFA and LCA are for the IAF's operational needs whilst the others (IF they come) are for policy reasons.

@PARIKRAMA

It's going to cause HAL folks a lot of heartburn knowing TATA quickly got the deal to integrate C295s, and now possibly a fighter jet... In a matter of couple of years... Ouch..
HAL have their hands full with ramping up LCA production not to mention on going projects like the LCH, ALH, LUH, MKI, Hawks and in the future FGFA. They are already in the process of outsourcing sub-assembly production to the private sector so I doubt they will be that bothered.

00001_153.jpg

qlmdipmtazqs98n69odr.jpg

00001_153.jpg

qlmdipmtazqs98n69odr.jpg

http://www.sps-aviation.com/mmrca.asp?id=5&h=Lockheed-Martin-Presents-the-F-16IN-Super-Viper

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/not-your-fathers-f-16-take-a-tour-of-the-f-16in-super-1676745840

Nothing has happened to it, the Rafale is still coming to the IAF, the US offers (for F-16 and F-18) are entirely seperate to the Rafale buy (at least 90 are assured for the IAF and another 100 for the IN). The US is pushing hard for their jets to be made in India but that doesn't mean they will be.

120 LCA will be in service by 2025:

tumblr_o9nt93M09m1tjfjuco1_1280.png

If there is a need to induct the LCA at a greater rate then LCA production can be increased.

It is quite clear the F-16,F-18 and Gripen deals have NOTHING to do with a specific operational need but boosting the defence component of this GoI's Make in India policy and attempting to create world class industries in India. The Rafale, MKI, FGFA and LCA are for the IAF's operational needs whilst the others (IF they come) are for policy reasons.

@PARIKRAMA

It's F16V which was offered to Taiwan I guess. Either way we are not going to add F16, anyway

If this deal is signed for F 16 with US then its going to prove Indian govt acted under pressure. i hope all these reports turn out to be false

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA
Sorry bro, I don't agree. It would not be India acting under pressure at all but the Indian Govt acting for very specific interests (boosting hi-tech manufacturing in India).

It would serve the interests of India (but not the military really).

Sorry bro, I don't agree. It would not be India acting under pressure at all but the Indian Govt acting for very specific interests (boosting hi-tech manufacturing in India).

It would serve the interests of India (but not the military really).

Then what new F 16 will do except killing Tejas in long run for sure, if we have to please US and also to access high end tech in India with transfer of manufacturing base then why not F 18 ?

Back
Top Bottom