What's new

In exclusive deal, India to get ‘Most Advanced’ F-16 fighter jets by 2019-20

Hi,

If india is considering an F16---then there is no reason for it to go for the Rafale----. Does not make much sense---./
The F-16 block 52/60/70/72 doesn't match up in anyway to the Rafale especially the spec the IAF is getting. The Rafale will serve a vital role in the IAF (deep strike including nuke delivery), the F-16/18 is unlikely to be inducted into the IAF BUT if it is it will be a poltical call to boost manufacturing in India to serve alongside the Rafale.

What kind of pressure?

The pressure is a fighter aircraft rejected in MMRCA is being again considered to be made in India after some cosmetic changes, secondly it will kill Tejas in longer run for sure as IAF will get further excuse to kill Tejas

Then what new F 16 will do except killing Tejas in long run for sure, if we have to please US and also to access high end tech in India with transfer of manufacturing base then why not F 18 ?
There is a reason the GoI has commited to the LCA in the numbers it has (120), it has already ring fenced that project and ensured it won't be harmed by any decsions it makes down the road. I do fear for the LCA Mk.2 if the F-16/Gripen NG were to be produced in India BUT i think it will be safe because it has the IN's backing and they have absolutely no interest in the F-16 or Gripen.

Naturally, if a second MMRCA has to be made in India alongside the Rafale the F-18 ASH would be preferable.

I feel Dassault is increasingly a closed chapter even for 36 we plan to buy.
On the contrary, the Rafale is the ONLY assured purchase at this point.

The pressure is a fighter aircraft rejected in MMRCA is being again considered to be made in India after some cosmetic changes, secondly it will kill Tejas in longer run for sure as IAF will get further excuse to kill Tejas
That's not pressure at all and US can't pressurize India for buying a fighter jet, we have not reached that stage yet.

There was chance of arm twist which I think is not the case here. The issue with LM is that they want to keep the producttion line open for F 16 and they are not able to because of no customers where they are pursuing India as a customer. I'm sure there is no congressional approval yet to set up a defence production line in India.

So it's not much of a topic to discuss. These journos can write headlines about defence citing chaiwala as their source which didn't want to be named.

That's not pressure at all and US can't pressurize India for buying a fighter jet, we have not reached that stage yet.

There was chance of arm twist which I think is not the case here. The issue with LM is that they want to keep the producttion line open for F 16 and they are not able to because of no customers where they are pursuing India as a customer. I'm sure there is no congressional approval yet to set up a defence production line in India.

So it's not much of a topic to discuss. These journos can write headlines about defence citing chaiwala as their source which didn't want to be named.

Lets see i hope this aircraft is not made in india which has reached its peak of life technologically but now india being again offered same with some changes even after being rejected many yrs back

Lets see i hope this aircraft is not made in india which has reached its peak of life technologically but now india being again offered same with some changes even after being rejected many yrs back
The IAF has not given any statement, nor the crats.
If LM wants to set up a plant it's most welcome but not for IAF.

F-16 is better than F-18. Its faster, more T/W ratio, more acceleration, cheaper (both for prosecution and maintenance). Thats why it won in US itself.
Growler,E A 18 growler is based on f18 hornet.

Growler,E A 18 growler is based on f18 hornet.

Whatever the growler prowler do , can be achieved by a 4 gen + fighter by loading the ew suite , pod etc . Previously if a strike mission was. Planned with 6 aircrafts, they can add 2 more which carry ew war suits on their wing hard points to blind enemies.

US Navy just dedicated a fighter to do that role only .

what if a production line is shifted to pakistan would you reject it because nothing more is left there to upgrade be it with block 52 or 60 leave alone block 70.. now dont tell me you already have the infra or know how...

secondly MMRCA is / was all about RAfael ( these F16 if selected is meant for filling up the gap once mig 21s or 27s retires) along with LCA mk1. F16s are not a substitute of rafael.

If the production line is shifted to Pakistan only for export from Pakistan basis then who ll deny this offer? But if its shifted to Pakistan for reasons that Pakistan would buy these first then No Thank U. We are better of going away from F-16s and looking for a next Gen aircraft. All these news of single digit procurement of F-16s are just gap fillers rather we are more interested in second hand F-16s as we have ample amount of spares of those and we would like to make most of em.

F-16 was a well pitched contender of MMRCA and was rejected rather in beginning. But nonetheless MMRCA is entirely your own baby and no one can/shud point at anything of it but if I wud be the one deciding for inducting a new platform for my Air Force then the earlier rejected lot wud be last That I wud go for.

What in d gods name.. F22E??? are you serious... if its true US is playing hard ball game !!
By 2022 F22 will be near the end of technology cycle and will be old technology. Then India will start to haggle on new radars, engines, display...etc that it will become another non starter. These are all assumptions , not that they are 100% implementable.

Once LM transfers the assembly line they will show a good number on their finance sheet and it will be over & out for them. After that whatever happens is none of their business.

As L&M are closing F-16 production lines in US so they need someone (a scapegoat, to be precise) to mint extra money when legacy of F-16s is finishing. Even if there was a slightest of potential for future F-16s exports then they would have continued producing them in already running plant. Nonetheless Turkey is a NATO ally and a close friend of US and already producing F-16s in its facilities, so if at all it was beneficial for Turkey to ask for such a venture then they would have already asked for it. In MMRCA L&M pitched F-16 Block 60 but it didnt qualify and here we are hearing about a futuristic Block 70/72. Its more or less a bait and it would be quite interesting if India takes it or not.
Known fact, they want to make some money of aging equipment. There are no free lunches either for India or pakistan. They simply end up paying one or the other way with end benefactor being US.

Known fact, they want to make some money of aging equipment. There are no free lunches either for India or pakistan. They simply end up paying one or the other way with end benefactor being US.

Exactly. More or less same was stated by me in my post U quoted :)

The F-16 block 52/60/70/72 doesn't match up in anyway to the Rafale especially the spec the IAF is getting. The Rafale will serve a vital role in the IAF (deep strike including nuke delivery), the F-16/18 is unlikely to be inducted into the IAF BUT if it is it will be a poltical call to boost manufacturing in India to serve alongside the Rafale.
Well its a political accommodation throwing few billion dollars down the drain. Need to see how russia reacts to this. Either they speed up the collaboration with India or leave the arena for US. I am very much sure India is going to play smart & drag the technical process of implementing agreement for a decade. Need to keep US in good humor until we reach the tipping point.

Back
Top Bottom