What's new

Imran Khan signals desire to build bridges with Washington

What I think is it was a successful op
I don't think it was a successful op. It brought ridicule from everyone, most importantly the military and next the foreigners. Those who might have sympathized with his removal using horse-trading techniques started realizing he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. That combined with the latest FIR fiasco has brought stony silence as the response. The only way forward for IK is if he becomes a normal politician (rather than an overgrown man-child), standing for election when it is declared, campaign on issues (and not personalities) and win the leadership.

Imran Khan signals desire to build bridges with Washington
moron e ahzam the naqli imam mahdi is the king of opportunistic U-tuners! (like fat shah of india) thinks every one is stupid.

ft.com

Imran Khan signals desire to build bridges with Washington​

Benjamin Parkin

Imran Khan said he wants to mend relations with the US despite accusing it of treating Pakistan as a “slave”, signalling a desire to work with Washington after claiming it conspired to remove him as prime minister a few months ago.

In an interview with the Financial Times following an assassination attempt this month, Khan said he no longer “blamed” the US and wants a “dignified” relationship if re-elected. He also warned that Pakistan was close to default and criticised the country’s IMF programme.

The former cricket captain was ousted in April in a no-confidence vote he claims was the result of a conspiracy between prime minister Shehbaz Sharif and the US, a top security partner to Pakistan that has provided the country with billions of dollars in military aid.

Many analysts believe that Khan and his Pakistan Tehreek e Insaf (PTI) party is the most likely winner of a general election that has to be held by next year, following a surge in his popularity thanks in part to his anti-American rhetoric.

“As far as I’m concerned it’s over, it’s behind me,” he said of the alleged conspiracy, which both Sharif and the US deny. “The Pakistan I want to lead must have good relationships with everyone, especially the United States.

“Our relationship with the US has been as of a master-servant relationship, or a master-slave relationship, and we’ve been used like a hired gun. But for that I blame my own governments more than the US.”

A gunman shot Khan multiple times in the leg earlier this month while he was leading a march through the country to force early elections. The former prime minister, who is walking on a frame while he recovers, claims to have evidence that Sharif plotted alongside senior civilian and military officials to kill him.

Sharif and the other officials all strongly deny the allegations. But the shooting, and Khan’s explosive accusations, have pushed Pakistan deeper into crisis at a time of political and economic upheaval. Some analysts believe Pakistan, which suffered devastating flooding over the summer, is at risk of defaulting on its more than $100bn in foreign debt.

Khan criticised Pakistan’s IMF programme, first started under his government in 2019 but revived by Sharif, for pushing austerity measures like higher fuel prices at a time of painful inflation.
“When you contract the economy, and some of the IMF measures make your economy shrink, how are you supposed to pay off your loans, because your loans keep increasing?” he said. “Consumption has crashed . . . So my question is: How are we going to pay our debts? We are certainly going to head towards default.”

Critics accuse Khan of further jeopardising this economic outlook by damaging relations with the US, IMF and other international partners on whom Pakistan depends for financing.
Ali Sarwar Naqvi, a former Pakistani diplomat, said that Khan would struggle to mend relations with the US. “If Imran Khan ever returns to power, Pakistan’s relations with the US will remain under stress,” he said.

Khan admitted that a visit to Moscow a day before the Ukraine invasion in February — for which he claims the US retaliated against him — was “embarrassing” but said the trip was organised months in advance.

The former prime minister argued that early elections were the only way to restore political stability. He did not outline specific plans for the economy if in office but warned “it could be beyond anyone” if elections are not held soon.

Despite his popularity, Khan’s path to office faces several obstacles including legal cases that could stop him running.
His allegations over the shooting have also set up a stand-off with Pakistan’s powerful military, who play an often decisive, behind-the-scenes role in the country’s politics. While analysts say the military helped Khan’s rise to the premiership in 2018, relations deteriorated while he was in office.

Analysts say the public barbs between Khan and the armed forces of recent months have little precedent. In the interview, Khan accused the military of having previously weakened independent institutions and, together with political dynasties like the Sharif family, having acted as if “they’re above law”.

“The army can play a constructive role in my future plans for Pakistan,” he said. “But it has to be that balance. You cannot have an elected government which has the responsibility given by the people, while the authority lies somewhere else.”

Some analysts call his criticisms of the military a cynical attempt to pressure them into supporting him and try to influence the upcoming selection of a new army chief. He denied this and said he wants the candidate to be selected “on merit”.

Additional reporting by Farhan Bokhari in Islamabad

That combined with the latest FIR fiasco has brought stony silence as the response.
did he not try to nominate 3 people of his choice rather than to just report the crime?

effing retard: main nahin to Pakistan b nahin ho ga. meri struggle shaikh mujib jaisi hai (bongagandu).

does this mean that he is in contact with modi the surrendra teli just like mujib was with indira rani?

Last edited:
moron e ahzam the naqli imam mahdi is the king of opportunistic U-tuners! (like fat shah of india) thinks every one is stupid.

ft.com

Benjamin Parkin

Imran Khan said he wants to mend relations with the US despite accusing it of treating Pakistan as a “slave”, signalling a desire to work with Washington after claiming it conspired to remove him as prime minister a few months ago.

In an interview with the Financial Times following an assassination attempt this month, Khan said he no longer “blamed” the US and wants a “dignified” relationship if re-elected. He also warned that Pakistan was close to default and criticised the country’s IMF programme.

The former cricket captain was ousted in April in a no-confidence vote he claims was the result of a conspiracy between prime minister Shehbaz Sharif and the US, a top security partner to Pakistan that has provided the country with billions of dollars in military aid.

If America toppled me I would not be fine with America

International relations are based upon pragmatism, especially with US is a matter of need that also flow to good relations with EU and UK.
Short sighted military 🪖 establishment cannot look beyond guns and spares, but we need help in education, S & T, health, law, prosecution, and governance.
Also it is needed to reduce US-India pivot as much as possible.
IK is doing the right thing.
Leverage China and RF vis a vis relations with US.

Good relations with the west are important because it gives you trade year on year and you can become rich. That's what China and India do. Only a fool would sabotage that.

Otherwise you will be an isolated country and just a giant road for chinese trucks to drive on for your CPEC. You literally dream of being a road for China.

Pakistanis ladies and gentlemen :lol:

Trump is coming, everybody knows , khan is master of politics, he just killed two birds (US & PDM) with one stone , good time to repair ties

‘It’s behind me’: Imran Khan takes a U-turn on ‘US conspiracy’ narrative​

Ex-PM says he wants to mend relations with Washington despite accusing it of treating Pakistan as a ‘slave’

News Desk
November 13, 2022

Former prime minister and PTI Chairman Imran Khan has apparently taken a U-turn on his ‘foreign conspiracy narrative’ wherein he accused the US of engineering his ouster from power by supporting the then opposition’s no-confidence motion in April this year.

In an interview with Financial Times, Imran signalled a desire to work with Washington saying he wants to mend relations with the US despite accusing it of treating Pakistan as a ‘slave’.

The former premier said he no longer “blamed” the US and wants a “dignified” relationship if re-elected.

“As far as I’m concerned it’s over, it’s behind me,” he said of the alleged conspiracy, which both PM Shehbaz Sharif and the US deny. “The Pakistan I want to lead must have good relationships with everyone, especially the United States,” he said.

“Our relationship with the US has been as of a master-servant relationship, or a master-slave relationship, and we’ve been used like a hired gun. But for that I blame my own governments more than the US,” the British daily quoted Imran as saying during the interview.

Former PM Imran admitted that his visit to Moscow a day before the Ukraine invasion in February — for which he claims the US retaliated against him — was “embarrassing” but said the trip was organised months in advance.

He argued that early elections were the only way to restore political stability. He did not outline specific plans for the economy if in office but warned “it could be beyond anyone” if elections are not held soon.

Imran also accused the establishment of having previously weakened independent institutions and, together with political dynasties like the Sharif family, having acted as if “they’re above law”.

“The army can play a constructive role in my future plans for Pakistan,” he said. “But it has to be that balance. You cannot have an elected government which has the responsibility given by the people, while the authority lies somewhere else.”

Imran also criticised IMF programme, first started under his government in 2019 but revived by PML-N-led government, for pushing austerity measures like higher fuel prices at a time of painful inflation.

“When you contract the economy, and some of the IMF measures make your economy shrink, how are you supposed to pay off your loans, because your loans keep increasing?” he said.

“Consumption has crashed… so my question is: How are we going to pay our debts? We are certainly going to head towards default.”

America is the Daddy of the world
A Son needs a father .

ft.com

Benjamin Parkin

Many analysts believe that Khan and his Pakistan Tehreek e Insaf (PTI) party is the most likely winner of a general election that has to be held by next year, following a surge in his popularity thanks in part to his anti-American rhetoric.

“As far as I’m concerned it’s over, it’s behind me,” he said of the alleged conspiracy, which both Sharif and the US deny. “The Pakistan I want to lead must have good relationships with everyone, especially the United States.

“Our relationship with the US has been as of a master-servant relationship, or a master-slave relationship, and we’ve been used like a hired gun. But for that I blame my own governments more than the US.”

A gunman shot Khan multiple times in the leg earlier this month while he was leading a march through the country to force early elections. The former prime minister, who is walking on a frame while he recovers, claims to have evidence that Sharif plotted alongside senior civilian and military officials to kill him.

Sharif and the other officials all strongly deny the allegations. But the shooting, and Khan’s explosive accusations, have pushed Pakistan deeper into crisis at a time of political and economic upheaval. Some analysts believe Pakistan, which suffered devastating flooding over the summer, is at risk of defaulting on its more than $100bn in foreign debt.

Khan criticised Pakistan’s IMF programme, first started under his government in 2019 but revived by Sharif, for pushing austerity measures like higher fuel prices at a time of painful inflation.
“When you contract the economy, and some of the IMF measures make your economy shrink, how are you supposed to pay off your loans, because your loans keep increasing?” he said. “Consumption has crashed . . . So my question is: How are we going to pay our debts? We are certainly going to head towards default.”

Critics accuse Khan of further jeopardising this economic outlook by damaging relations with the US, IMF and other international partners on whom Pakistan depends for financing.
Ali Sarwar Naqvi, a former Pakistani diplomat, said that Khan would struggle to mend relations with the US. “If Imran Khan ever returns to power, Pakistan’s relations with the US will remain under stress,” he said.

Khan admitted that a visit to Moscow a day before the Ukraine invasion in February — for which he claims the US retaliated against him — was “embarrassing” but said the trip was organised months in advance.

The former prime minister argued that early elections were the only way to restore political stability. He did not outline specific plans for the economy if in office but warned “it could be beyond anyone” if elections are not held soon.

Despite his popularity, Khan’s path to office faces several obstacles including legal cases that could stop him running.
His allegations over the shooting have also set up a stand-off with Pakistan’s powerful military, who play an often decisive, behind-the-scenes role in the country’s politics. While analysts say the military helped Khan’s rise to the premiership in 2018, relations deteriorated while he was in office.

Analysts say the public barbs between Khan and the armed forces of recent months have little precedent. In the interview, Khan accused the military of having previously weakened independent institutions and, together with political dynasties like the Sharif family, having acted as if “they’re above law”.

Some analysts call his criticisms of the military a cynical attempt to pressure them into supporting him and try to influence the upcoming selection of a new army chief. He denied this and said he wants the candidate to be selected “on merit”.

Additional reporting by Farhan Bokhari in Islamabad

did he not try to nominate 3 people of his choice rather than to just report the crime?

effing retard: main nahin to Pakistan b nahin ho ga. meri struggle shaikh mujib jaisi hai (bongagandu).

does this mean that he is in contact with modi the surrendra teli just like mujib was with indira rani?

Surrenderer Modi 🤣😂
👍🏽

Anything for the pm chair……anything

Kursi de do bas…..kursi k liyay sala kuch b kerayga
he ain't like the amritsari mofo's! he will come to power by the ballot not by collaborating with some poo stains.

US strongly condemns shooting of Imran Khan, says Ned Price​

-----

-----

US urges India to restore political rights in IIOJK

-----

Talking points:

1. Positive signals from both sides. Rapproachment is possible.

2. US is important for Pakistan's economy, and can help rebuild Pakistan's economy. Khan understands as much.

3. Lobbying efforts in US shall be revisited. Pakistani Americans can play a constructive role.

Related discussion in following thread:

Constructive dialogue is the way forward. Let us see.
While India buys cheap oil for itself from Russia, Pakistan obeys Uncle Sam:-

News|Oil and Gas

India to continue buying oil from Russia as ties deepen​

India’s foreign minister says buying oil from its ‘steady and time-tested partner’ is economically advantageous.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his Indian counterpart Subrahmanyam Jaishankar in Moscow.

India has emerged as Russia's largest oil customer after China following a boycott by Western buyers [Maxim Shipenkov/Pool via Reuters]
Published On 8 Nov 20228 Nov 2022
India will continue buying Russian oil as it is advantageous for the country, Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar has said during his first visit to Russia since it invaded Ukraine, in a move counter to Western efforts to cripple Russia’s economy with sanctions.
Jaishankar met his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov in Moscow on Tuesday accompanied by senior officials in charge of agriculture, petroleum and natural gas, ports and shipping, finance, chemicals and fertiliser, and trade – which he said showed the importance of ties with Russia.

KEEP READING​

list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3

Russia’s Wagner Group founder admits to US election interference

list 2 of 3

Ukraine says Russian forces looting, occupying homes in Kherson

list 3 of 3

Photos: Ukraine goes dark after wave of Russian attacks

end of list
“Russia has been a steady and time-tested partner. Any objective evaluation of our relationship over many decades would confirm that it has actually served both our countries very, very well,” Jaishankar said in a joint news conference.
“As the world’s third-largest consumer of oil and gas, a consumer where the levels of income are not very high, it is our fundamental obligation to ensure that the Indian consumer has the best possible access on the most advantageous terms to international markets,” he said.
“We have seen that the India-Russia relationship has worked to advantage. If it works to my advantage, I would like to keep that going,” the Indian foreign minister added.
India, which has not explicitly condemned what Russia calls its “special military operation in Ukraine”, has emerged as Russia’s largest oil customer after China following a boycott by Western buyers.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his Indian counterpart Subrahmanyam Jaishankar in Moscow.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his Indian counterpart Subrahmanyam Jaishankar shake hands during a news conference in Moscow. [Maxim Shipenkov/Pool via Reuters]
Jaishankar’s announcement came ahead of United States Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen’s visit to New Delhi later this week, when she is expected to discuss a Group of Seven (G7) plan to cap the price of Russian oil with Indian officials.
US officials and G7 countries have been in intense negotiations in recent weeks over the unprecedented plan to put a price cap on sea-borne oil shipments, which is scheduled to take effect on December 5 to ensure European Union and US sanctions do not throttle the global oil market.

Both New Delhi and Beijing have so far refused to join Western sanctions against Russia.
Lavrov praised the position of Russia’s “Indian friends” on Ukraine and accused Western countries of trying to consolidate a “dominant role in world affairs” and prevent “the democratisation of international relations”.

Week in the Middle East​

Catch up on our coverage of the region, all in one place.

right-mark-icon.3a446adc.svg

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Russia and India are also considering joint production of modern defence equipment, the foreign minister was quoted by TASS news agency as saying. Last year, the two countries inked a $677m deal to produce AK-203 assault rifles in India as part of New Delhi’s push for self-reliance in defence manufacturing. India is one of the world’s largest buyers of defence equipment.
Moscow has been New Delhi’s biggest supplier of military equipment for decades. India imported Russian defence equipment worth more than $20bn between 2011 and 2021.
According to Lavrov, Russia and India also want to cooperate more closely in the fields of nuclear energy and space travel.

SOURCE: AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES

ADVERTISEMENT
This content is created and paid for by advertisers and does not involve Al Jazeera journalists.
Dianomi Logo
Your Ad Choices Logo

LISTEN TO THESE PODCASTS​

podcast episode artwork

play

From: Essential Middle EastWhy is OPEC+ cutting oil production?The OPEC+ alliance of oil-exporting countries has announced reducing oil production by 2 million barrels per day, one of i...
podcast episode artwork

play

From: The TakeWill Russia's Vladimir Putin go nuclear?With Vladimir Putin’s recent warning that Russia will use “all available means” at his disposal to defend his country, the...
podcast episode artwork

play

From: The TakeIn Syria, facing cholera and corruptionWhen a war is forgotten, the problems don't go away. In Syria, a cholera outbreak there could threaten the whole region, j...

RELATED​

MORE FROM NEWS​

MOST READ​

These bootlickers come in every size, shape and packaging.
Fed up of this really. All these are cut from the same cloth and are still infatuated with the west when it has clearly failed and clearly promotes lgbtxyz agenda.
Say it even more clearly now, Russia is against such agenda and if we must then side and support Russia.
May Allah give us hikmah.
I don’t see this ending well if we keep on licking wests/Europe/Nato alliance and zionist pool.
And shit may unfold in 2-5years min and 10 years max.
This is my prediction after my own observation of the geopolitical situation and wars for about few years now. Before you start with your bashing, I can be wrong, i am no prophet.

IK may have put the claimed conspiracy "behind him", but will that be enough to make USA forget IK's falsehoods and that trip to Moscow? Dialogue is good, but it seems that IK will have to offer something more than just being contrite to get somewhere.

US strongly condemns shooting of Imran Khan, says Ned Price​

-----

-----

US urges India to restore political rights in IIOJK

-----

Talking points:

1. Positive signals from both sides. Rapproachment is possible.

2. US is important for Pakistan's economy, and can help rebuild Pakistan's economy. Khan understands as much.

3. Lobbying efforts in US shall be revisited. Pakistani Americans can play a constructive role.

Related discussion in following thread:

good call.
no harm in damage control. that's good diplomacy.

IK may have put the claimed conspiracy "behind him", but will that be enough to make USA forget IK's falsehoods and that trip to Moscow? Dialogue is good, but it seems that IK will have to offer something more than just being contrite to get somewhere.
now now
lets not be hasty .
if I had a say in it. for a start I can share a recipe of a killer dish but that's pretty much it for now.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom