Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Imran confused over K-P government stopping Malala's book launch
By Web Desk
Published: January 28, 2014

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf Chairperson Imran Khan said in a Twitter update that he did not understand why the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) government had stopped the launch of Malala Yousafzai’s book I am Malala on Tuesday.
Imran Khan ✔ @ImranKhanPTI
Follow

I am at a loss 2 understand why Malala's book launch stopped in Peshawar. PTI believes in freedom of speech/debate, not censorship of ideas.

10:25 AM - 28 Jan 2014

The book was scheduled to launch today at Peshawar University, however, the K-P government stopped the launch.

Minister for Information Shah Farman said that the book was “too controversial” Express News reported.

Police also refused to provide security at the book launch which had been organised by the Bacha Khan Education Foundation and an NGO.

Awami National Party (ANP) Senator Zahid Khan said that the government put a restriction on the book because it was scared of a violent backlash by militant groups.

Aseefa Bhutto Zardari and other politicians criticised the K-P government’s move, and expressed both surprise and concern.
Aseefa B Zardari @AseefaBZ
Follow

Pathetic of PTI gov to ban #Malala's book. This is censorship ! Where is our freedom of speech and expression ? #MalalaBookBan #IAmMalala

12:08 AM - 28 Jan 2014
71 RETWEETS 58 FAVORITES

Bakhtawar Bhutto Zardari spoke up against the ban as well.

No confusion. KPK gov’t stopped release of the book ‘I am Malala’ because it was being launched by Bacha Khan Trust. That is ANP. However this act gave the impression that KPK gov’t don’t want to annoy their beloved Taliban.
Additionally, PTI allies, the anti-Pakistan Jamaat Islami, were also in favour of the ban as the book causes embarrassment to the JI stance of supporting Sufi Mohammed Swat gov’t.

Imran Khan cannot defend this ‘ INDEFENSIBLE’ act by the PTI gov’t in KPK. That is why he is acting innocent.

All wily politics my friends. It is beyond belief that PTI KPK government will take this action without the knowledge of their leader.

No reason for ban infact Malala picture should be posted on every building in KP

KPK govt. could not have taken this decision without keeping IK in loop. They probably did not expect such severe criticism or, probably expected their usual supporters to save them again. Now IK is trying to distance himself from this.

Wonder if taking political rivalry to such personal level that a book is banned because its being launched by Bacha Khan trust is actually going to backfire..?

In the USA when a book is, in some way, "forbidden", that only serves to make people more interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. Will that happen in Pakistan with Malala's book? Will banning it generate even more interest in it and foster a "black market" sales of the book?

In the USA when a book is, in some way, "forbidden", that only serves to make people more interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. Will that happen in Pakistan with Malala's book? Will banning it generate even more interest in it and foster a "black market" sales of the book?

This book is not banned In Pakistan and has been available in Karachi and Lahore for quite some time. I am surprized that Bacha Khan Trust decided to launch it at this late stage.

Regret to admit that book reading culture is declining in Pakistan and book shops are going out business. Each time I visit Pakistan, I find less and less book shops. In fact only decent book shops are now in Islamabad. I don’t think this act would make much difference in the sale of the book.

ANP are anti-Taliban and were probably launching the book to embarrass KPK government. I would have thought that an intelligent leader would have seen thru this ruse by the ANP and would have provided active support. Instead KPK gov’t took the bait; now PTI has emerged as pro-Taliban anti-freedom of speech party criticised by most intellectuals and Human Rights groups except the die hard pro extremist such as Jamaat Islami.

Back
Top Bottom